Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The Japanese set Ruler of the Black Flame will star a Darkness-type Charizard! This should be the first Tera ex card of a different type. The information was revealed by the set’s official sell sheet, which can’t be shared publicly.
The set will release on July 28th. It will see the release of card sleeves and a deck box featuring Dark-type Charizard. It will also see the release of a “Ruler of the Black Flame Deck Build Box” featuring a 60-card deck, coin, damage counters, markers, and a 1-card promo pack.
Charizard can’t be natively found in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, but it appeared at black Tera Raid crystals in December. Its Tera Type was Dragon. (Hence having to use a screenshot of it with the Dragon-type hat. :x)...

Continue reading...

Polaris

Personally I don't think the logic behind avoiding introducing new types into terrastals holds up; new players will be joining the tcg all the time, and older tcg players will either already be aware of the new mechanic in the game or simply won't care about seeing new types on Pokemon (actually, they'd be quite excited).

If the worry is that introducing new Pokemon with different types than they normally should have would be confusing, then they could just stick with older Pokemon for the first few sets, which they did anyway.

I genuinely think it's MORE confusing to see a fire Arcanine and then a dark Charizard. They should've made terrastals always a different type from the get-go.

ShinyNoivern

Noivern is a cool Pokemon
These are cool and all, but not as good as they are in the game. In the game, you can just switch your pokemon to an entirely different type mid-battle, but in the TCG you just have a dark-type Charizard, so unless they allow you to change to dark-type mid-game, these will probably just be cool but not especially good.

Louiepikmin3

Aspiring Trainer
They really messed up terra pokemon in the tcg, huh. Like it could've been something like you could attach a Terra item card or something once per game to change your pokemon's type or something like that, but no, they essentially did delta species pokemon but worse. It really sucks since I think being able to change type like that would be really healthy for the tcg, it was loved by the vgc community, and it would make games so much more interesting and less predictable

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
They really messed up terra pokemon in the tcg, huh. Like it could've been something like you could attach a Terra item card or something once per game to change your pokemon's type or something like that, but no, they essentially did delta species pokemon but worse. It really sucks since I think being able to change type like that would be really healthy for the tcg, it was loved by the vgc community, and it would make games so much more interesting and less predictable
Imagine a format with tool cards that read " if your opponent is X type your attacks do 2x damage" it would be an incredibly sacky 1HKO format where pokemon with over 300HP are easily 1 shotted, in your scenario, everyone basically has a once per game Drapion for any deck. VGC has to have open team sheets to deal with Tera Pokemon and not have games just come down to guesswork.

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
This is their chance to shake up the terra effect, by making it so that all Pokemon who kept their type have the bench barrier, but those who have a new type have an effect based on that new type (e.g. ones who became Dark aren't affected by your opponent's supporter cards).

Rex15

Pocket Monster Hunter
Yeah, yeah, I get it, Chairlizard is popular so it's going to get cards often. I'm not saying to never print it, just print LESS of it. It's not like there aren't a ton of other popular Pokemon they could use instead.