Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
We now have the full set list for Paldea Evolved, our second Scarlet & Violet set!
The set will release on June 9th. Prereleases start this weekend. To find one near you, you can use the event locator on Pokemon.com.
The set contains a total of 279 cards: 193 cards in the main set, 36 Illustration Rares, 26 Special Illustration Rares, 15 Ultra Rares (“full arts”), and 9 Hyper Rares (“gold cards”).
Around 30 cards have been cut from our English set, as you can see below. They should release in August’s Obsidian Flames. The cards were probably cut to equalize the amount of cards in Paldea Evolved and Obsidian Flames...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Ambassador

Aspiring Trainer
I was really disappointed to realize that SV1's set stamp wasn't SV1EN, but rather SVIEN, when noticing this set's stamp is PALEN, rather than SV2EN. I'm also rather disappointed TPCI is still keeping up these antics of arbitrarily moving cards around for the sake of set sizes (which are never kept consistent anyways), which continues to make it an extra step insofar as figuring out the pedigree of an English language/international card relative to its Japanese counterpart.

SV1EN made so many great strides in harmonizing the game with the primary language edition I felt about ready to say the only meaningful differences was the difference in card stock, and the card back, but there are still these incidental quibbles coming up. I don't know why TPCI is so obsessed with making things different for the sake of being different, but now that the silver border is standard across languages, the KR edition of the TCG is currently a more appealing proposition than buying the EN edition on a dollar cost basis, and the JP edition remains the uncontested champion in terms of overall quality.

TandemTCG

Aspiring Trainer
I was really disappointed to realize that SV1's set stamp wasn't SV1EN, but rather SVIEN, when noticing this set's stamp is PALEN, rather than SV2EN. I'm also rather disappointed TPCI is still keeping up these antics of arbitrarily moving cards around for the sake of set sizes (which are never kept consistent anyways), which continues to make it an extra step insofar as figuring out the pedigree of an English language/international card relative to its Japanese counterpart.

SV1EN made so many great strides in harmonizing the game with the primary language edition I felt about ready to say the only meaningful differences was the difference in card stock, and the card back, but there are still these incidental quibbles coming up. I don't know why TPCI is so obsessed with making things different for the sake of being different, but now that the silver border is standard across languages, the KR edition of the TCG is currently a more appealing proposition than buying the EN edition on a dollar cost basis, and the JP edition remains the uncontested champion in terms of overall quality.
It's not that deep.

1. Expansion codes are better with letters because the difference reduces the chance of making a typo.
2. I agree with you on not liking TPCi cutting cards, but when we get huge set sizes, everyone complains (see: FST)
3. Japan will always have better quality cards, because a different company makes them (TPC). Until TPC makes international cards, that won't change.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TIL it's been SVI and not SV1 this entire time. Talk about bamboozle of the century. I am certifiably blind now I guess.

Also, "PAL" and not "PEV" what the actual shit is this nonsense naming

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon’s official press release stated there would be 18 total Pokemon ex in the set (15 regular ex and 3 Tera ex), but there’s actually 17. They may have been miscounted because Tinkaton ex and Annihilape ex’s regular prints were cut from the set, but their ultra rare prints were still included.
Rip Klawf ex.

Ambassador

Aspiring Trainer
It's not that deep.

1. Expansion codes are better with letters because the difference reduces the chance of making a typo.
2. I agree with you on not liking TPCi cutting cards, but when we get huge set sizes, everyone complains (see: FST)
3. Japan will always have better quality cards, because a different company makes them (TPC). Until TPC makes international cards, that won't change.
1. I don't necessarily follow your point here.. SV2EN has as many characters as PALEN, so just as much opportunity for a typo, right?
2. The mega sets are a problem for sure, but this rearrangement of cards does nothing to ameliorate it either which way.
3. Depends. Card stock quality can be improved if people continue to raise it as an issue every time a new set releases, and even moreso if they point to examples of buying other editions of the game instead of the EN game. It can be a bit grating to nag on the same topic over and over, but I think the staple reply "stop printing cards that do more damage than they have HP" is catching on and has a shot at being crowd-sourced feedback that works its way up (since people are now alleging TPCI is equal-weight in developing the game with PCL), maybe the squeaky wheel can get the grease on some of the other outliers in customer satisfaction.

jdubs4lief

Aspiring Trainer
Underrated cards in this set:

Rabsca - Just half of a better Summoning Star as an attack.
Brambleghast - Increasing the attack cost of things seems like it's a lot, big slow down of setting up (wasting opponent's Mirage Gates too!)
Slowking ex - 2 energy for 130 (so Choice Belt hits Urshifus for 320) AND an Arceus VSTAR power? Holy crap Lois, who balances this game?

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
@Water Pokémon Master Superior Energy Retrieval (and Super Rod) is getting an errata, so might I suggest changing your wording to reflect that it allows you to return "up to 4" Basic Energy cards to your hand?

Also, looks like Flamigo's attack got copied and pasted from Murkrow instead of Wattrel.

Last edited:

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer

It's been a thing since then, get over it. Also we encounter these SV1en rubbish with Neo sets before. We might copy from Japan but not entirely 1:1

PacManD3

Aspiring Trainer
Edit: NVM 😂

We are getting Dendra full art and special art in this set, right? Just want to confirm since I don't see either pictured above.

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Edit: NVM 😂

We are getting Dendra full art and special art in this set, right? Just want to confirm since I don't see either pictured above.
I knew I missed something! Yes we are getting both Dendra FA and Special Art! Thanks for pointing that out :D

Ambassador

Aspiring Trainer
It's been a thing since then, get over it. Also we encounter these SV1en rubbish with Neo sets before. We might copy from Japan but not entirely 1:1
Yeah, but why not? And why on earth would you be content with what Wizards of all orgs did as setting any kind of standard for what counts as acceptable? The KR edition of the game is now virtually 1-to-1 with the original JP edition. It's entirely possible to do, but TPCI doesn't want to do it for whatever reason.

mirosama2

Aspiring Trainer
Choice Belt's reprint feels pretty useless, unless they have some 'G' era V Pokemon planned. Choice Belt was already going to rotate with the last V Pokemon, but now it's going to be legal in a future-format with no V's for no obvious reason.