Ω Barrier

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Ω Barrier: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card (excluding Pokemon Tools and Stadium cards), prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokemon.

So no hammers, no lasers, no lysandre, and no M phone (and Xerosic, Flare Grunt, and Escape Rope). I think the M Phone bit is crucial because your tools that are attached to that Pokemon are safe (unless it's an ability or attack effect). That can actually be game winning in certain situations (silver mirror against a plasma deck) or otherwise very annoying (Rock Guard and Life Dew). It could also make EXP Share, which has been reprinted, all the more useful as because an opponent can only play around it for so long.

The Lysandre/Hammer thing is especially nice with the new Primal Groudon. Unless you're facing a VirGen deck, it's safe sitting on the bench while you set up.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
RE: O Barrier

One combo that a lot of people haven't been mentioned yet with O Barrier is Tool Drop! The big thing that has harmed this deck is Startling Megaphone. While the card will still really harm down your Sigilyph's, you could always play a Pokemon that has O Barrier, to at least be able to keep 1-2 Tools after your opponent Megaphone's you.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member

pokedan24 said:
The Lysandre/Hammer thing is especially nice with the new Primal Groudon. Unless you're facing a VirGen deck, it's safe sitting on the bench while you set up.

This actually isn't the case with Lysandre and other "Catcher effects" even if they are from Trainer cards. In a similar manner to Gengar-EX switching into a Sigilyph (Safeguard) via Dark Corridor, the actual target of the effect is the active Pokemon, not the one on the bench with immunity. So, your opponent can use Lysande to drag Primal Groudon active, unless of course your active Pokemon also has Ω Barrier. However, if your P-Groudon is active, Lysandre cannot be used to drag something else off the bench, as it is now the target of the card.

That aside, Ω Barrier is still a great ability, since it does provide immunity from Enhanced Hammers, Lasers, and other annoying things, but sadly not Head Ringer.

The question I have about Ω Barrier is if it applies while the Pokemon isn't actualy in play. Like say, P-Groudon is in your discard and your opponent plays Lysandre's Trump Card. Does P-Groudon shuffle back in, or does it remain in your discard because your opponent's Trainer is telling you to shuffle your discard pile into your deck. While it's a minor detail regarding it, if P-Groudon got shuffled in like this (assuming it doesn't only apply while the Pokemon is in play) during a tournament, it would lead to a broken game state and thus a pentalty.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer

This might be one we'll have to get a ruling for. There seems to be differences between Gengar's Dark Corridor and Lysandre. Mainly that Dark Corridor doesn't specifically target anything whereas Lysandre tells you to choose an opponents benched Pokemon. It's hard to explain, but I think there should be a difference between the two (like the wording on Sigilyph vs Lysandre).

Another potentially good combo = O Barrier + Weakness Policy.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

Just Flare Gear up your opponent's O Barrier EX so it can never get discarded... one way to use it against them.

GadgetJax

bbninjas said:
Just Flare Gear up your opponent's O Barrier EX so it can never get discarded... one way to use it against them.

Your opponent can still discard it, actually. The text says that only opponent's effects are stopped by O Barrier. So, Player A attaches a Jamming Net to Player B's Primal Groudon-EX. Player B can still use Tool Retreival or Xerosic to get rid of it.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member

pokedan24 said:
This might be one we'll have to get a ruling for. There seems to be differences between Gengar's Dark Corridor and Lysandre. Mainly that Dark Corridor doesn't specifically target anything whereas Lysandre tells you to choose an opponents benched Pokemon. It's hard to explain, but I think there should be a difference between the two (like the wording on Sigilyph vs Lysandre).

This is correct after looking at Lysandre again. Lysandre's text reads " Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon.." In this case, the benched Pokemomn is the target, whereas which gengar-EX, you switch "this Pokemon" (Gengar) with a benched Pokemon, so Gengar is the target. I didn't take notice to this, as I was using the original Pokemon Catcher (it was sitting on my desk) as a reference, which I now realized has had a wording change in addition to mandating a coin flip. Catcher from the BW era reads "Switch your opponent's Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon," while the XY catcher is "Flip a coin. If heads, switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon." In addition to the flip, the actual target of the effect was changed. What this does mean however, is that a Pokemon with O Barrier on the bench is indeed immune to Lysandre.

Escape Rope, however, does not have this. "Each player switches his or her Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon. (Your opponent switches first. If a player does not have a Benched Pokémon, he or she doesn't switch Pokémon.)" In this case, your Active Pokemon is the tart\get, So, if your Active Pokemon has O Barrier, you couldn't switch at all when your opponent played Escape Rope.

GadgetJax

My Little Keldeo said:
pokedan24 said:

This is correct after looking at Lysandre again. Lysandre's text reads " Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon.." In this case, the benched Pokemomn is the target, whereas which gengar-EX, you switch "this Pokemon" (Gengar) with a benched Pokemon, so Gengar is the target. I didn't take notice to this, as I was using the original Pokemon Catcher (it was sitting on my desk) as a reference, which I now realized has had a wording change in addition to mandating a coin flip. Catcher from the BW era reads "Switch your opponent's Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon," while the XY catcher is "Flip a coin. If heads, switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon." In addition to the flip, the actual target of the effect was changed. What this does mean however, is that a Pokemon with O Barrier on the bench is indeed immune to Lysandre.

Escape Rope, however, does not have this. "Each player switches his or her Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon. (Your opponent switches first. If a player does not have a Benched Pokémon, he or she doesn't switch Pokémon.)" In this case, your Active Pokemon is the tart\get, So, if your Active Pokemon has O Barrier, you couldn't switch at all when your opponent played Escape Rope.

With all of this confusion rolling around on O Barrier and what it actually does, I bet that this is going to be settled with either a ruling or eratta eventually. It's too confusing to make using this concept with rookies fun.

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!

GadgetJax said:
My Little Keldeo said:

With all of this confusion rolling around on O Barrier and what it actually does, I bet that this is going to be settled with either a ruling or eratta eventually. It's too confusing to make using this concept with rookies fun.

Just explain to them that Lysandre is targeting a benched Pokemon not the pokemon with O Barrier. It most definitely won't get an errata

Auride

Periodic Visitor

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Just explain to them that Lysandre is targeting a benched Pokemon not the pokemon with O Barrier. It most definitely won't get an errata

I think an important thing to note here is that Togekiss PLS, whose Bright Veil ability was worded very similarly to Omega Barrier's current translation, actually did block the effects of Pokemon Catcher, which was worded identically to the current Lysandre. This most likely means that Omega Barrier will block the effects of Lysandre.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
Differnece being O barrier just says this pokmon where Bright Veil says your pokmeon. Lysandre/ pokemon catcher would still be able to go after a benched pokemon that does not have the O barrier trait when an O barrier pokemon is active because Lysandre and pokemon catcher do not target the active pokemon but a benched pokemon.