Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
This goes both ways, it's annoying when someone ignores genuine criticism but when people complain about literally everything it's pretty annoying. Why do you feel the need to shit on everything? Do you really just like being negative 100% of the time? Sometimes things can just be fine not amazing or terrible and that's ok.

What's your point? I dislike an overwhelming majority of the designs, am I suppose to sugarcoat it? What percentage am I allowed to dislike? Sure, not everything has to be amazing or terrible, in fact nothing has to be anything, things can just be what they are, and that's my point, I speak my mind as I see things, and if here I think it's bad, that's my opinion, and it is just as valid as any other, my problem is not with people liking this stuff, it is (to an extent) subjective after all, my problem is with some sanctimonious, self-righteous a-hole with his head up his own ass calling for people to be ignored in the debate because they suffer from the attittude that I described in my other comment.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Big difference between blind defending something and having a differing opinion. There might be some people out there who pretend to like things for positivity reasons but there are definitely also people who genuinely like the pokemon from this gen. I have a list of favorites and a list of wtfs myself. It doesn't serve anybody to trod on other's excitement and you dont look smart by explaining why others' opinions are wrong.

Again, that's exactly my whole point. Having a different opinion is fine, right? So why is some self-righteous douche calling for people to ignore a specific type or share of equally valid opinions? I don't have a problem with people liking it, I have a problem with the idea that if someone doesn't they should be ignored. And if you don't look smart by explaining why others' opinions are wrong, imagine how you look being so unbelievably pretentious that you don't even bother to explain and jump to simply claiming that it should be ignored without further elaboration.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
No, it really doesn't. Gen 8 was the first time ever I decided "I really don't recognize these things as Pokémon, I'm not even going to keep the cards I pull of them" and set them aside from the rest of my cards. I haven't recanted on that, either. This looks to be the second time this happens.

Pretending the design philosophy of Pokémon hasn't radically diverged from what it used to be is ridiculous. We know from the designers themselves they deliberately are pursuing new design concepts and ideas, and it is clearly reflecting in what we are seeing. If you want to have a debate about whether the new designs are good or not – that's fine, but pretending any dislike is "oh just more of the same" is disingenuous.
Yes, it really does, people have been criticizing new designs since gen 3. They're Pokemon whether you like it or not; if you don't like them, that's your business, but that doesn't change that they're still Pokemon.

I never said the design philosophy hasn't changed. I'm saying that the idea of criticizing new Pokemon is nothing new. There will always be people who like the Pokemon you don't, and vice versa. It's stupid. If you don't like them then don't use them, throw their cards away, no one cares man.

"Hmph! These designs are terrible, I shan't consider them as Pokemon!"

You sound like an idiot. Grow up.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, it really does, people have been criticizing new designs since gen 3. They're Pokemon whether you like it or not; if you don't like them, that's your business, but that doesn't change that they're still Pokemon.

I never said the design philosophy hasn't changed. I'm saying that the idea of criticizing new Pokemon is nothing new. There will always be people who like the Pokemon you don't, and vice versa. It's stupid. If you don't like them then don't use them, throw their cards away, no one cares man.

What happened to "happy thoughts"? (Your custom title) :D

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer

I'm glad we agree the design philosophy has changed.

Prof. Lev

Gotta pull 'em all!
Maybe it's the art style. Maybe it's that. They might look decent under someone else's efforts...maybe. Right? Eugh.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm glad we agree the design philosophy has changed.
It can change as much as it likes. People will always have designs they hate, people will always say the franchise is dead and they're out of ideas and all that nonsense, but they're still Pokemon. If seeing them triggers you and you need to head to your safe space to avoid seeing them then, like I said, that's your business, but that doesn't change reality.
What happened to "happy thoughts"? (Your custom title) :D
Telling some whiner to cope gives me nothing but happy thoughts.

Prof. Lev

Gotta pull 'em all!
So Diglet can now wiggle

The new Dunsparce is just... Dunsparce

When Finizen evolves you can't even tell

Pawmi/Pawmo/Pawmot has the same problem but that wasn't even intentional

One of the pokémon is two identical mice, the evolution is....three identical mice

Three new forms of Tauros, all of which are 'grumpy black'

The legendaries are...motorbikes.

Quagsire's now a monotone blob, being in a chest is apparently a form, pretty sure I saw a counterfeit Duraludon in there, and the Cheesestring guy, and let's not even discuss whatever that Magneton thing is

I think one of the pokémon being tumbleweed sums this up perfectly. All very uninspired.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
If seeing them triggers you and you need to head to your safe space to avoid seeing them then, like I said, that's your business, but that doesn't change reality.
You're the one trying to create a safe space for yourself, by flanderizing any criticism of these Pokémon – first as mundane and predictable, and then as some kind of unhinged derangement. Seriously, dude, wind back, it's just projection at this point.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
You're the one trying to create a safe space for yourself, by flanderizing any criticism of these Pokémon – first as mundane and predictable, and then as some kind of unhinged derangement. Seriously, dude, wind back, it's just projection at this point.
Only one of us is saying they don't recognize existing Pokemon as Pokemon, so I dunno what you're talking about. I can still dislike a design but accept that it's real.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
That's right! Tell her!

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I can still dislike a design but accept that it's real.
You are so beyond bad faith it's ridiculous. Bar none, this is the stupidest conversation I've had on this site. You're seriously the forum head?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
You are so beyond bad faith it's ridiculous. Bar none, this is the stupidest conversation I've had on this site. You're seriously the forum head?
All I hear is you have no argument.

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
I'm really, REALLY disliking these designs. It feels more like NeoPets than Pokemon.
Odds are Jousuke Duck will probably be the only new Poke on my team.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
I know talking about stupidity in this day and age is redundant, but this specific brand of stupidity that manifests itself as this stilted, unnatural, inauthentic, and forced "positivity" is particularly idiotic, my god. It's the same thing in music, a band releases a new album, and it's just not that good, people rightfully point that out, and soon these insufferable paladins show up to defend it. It's always "just different", "they have to change, it's only natural", blah blah blah, they never actually entertain the craaazy idea that maybe, just maybe...it's just bad. So, since their ridiculous affectation is completely non-genuine, and their happy-go-lucky attitude actually derives from idiotic narcisism and a need to virtue signal their oh so cute positive view of everything regardless of anything, rather than actual genuine appreciation for what they're deffending, they have to devolve their whole line of arguments to "ignore the haters 🥴", they have to pretend that people pointing the flaws don't exist, because in not having any genuine appreciation for the thing being discussed, they have no way to defend or counter-argument the negative comments.
Hey, dude.

People can have a different opinion than you.

EGADS!!! Shocker, right?