JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
The Pokemon Company International recently released its Alternative Play Handbook, which details a number of alternative ways to play with cards from the Pokemon Trading Card Game. If you’ve ever gone to large events like regional or international championships and played in any of the side events there, you may be familiar with a few of the alternative play options detailed in the new handbook. Among the formats described in the new handbook are beginner formats like Poké Catch, intermediate formats like Pack Battles, and the real highlights of the documents for more experienced players: the advanced formats including a new 2v2 Team format and a brand-new Raid format.
To be clear: these are not official formats for sanctioned...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

fleshrum

Cephalophore
GLC being recognized is the best thing that's happened to pokemon in a long time. Mahone gets the credit, but its really the community that made it come to life. Good job team!

EDIT: ● Each player’s deck must contain only Pokémon without a Rule Box - YESSSS

Last edited:

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
What is Mahone?? A new Pokémon from Scarlet/Violet?
Fr? Andrew Mahone, aka TrickyGym on youtube, us one of the most popular PTCGO and competitive TCG youtubers and he created the Gym Leader's Challenge format, one of the most successful and beloved fan-mage formats.

Red-EyesHydreigon

Aspiring Trainer
Just tried a couple games of Raid. Seems like a really cool concept, but doesn’t really feel like the ‘normal’ players have a chance. Boss gets unlimited supporters and attachments, right?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Just tried a couple games of Raid. Seems like a really cool concept, but doesn’t really feel like the ‘normal’ players have a chance. Boss gets unlimited supporters and attachments, right?
Most of the time the players should win raid format in my experience. The key is to balance what’s in the raid deck - if you’re not able to beat it regularly with meta decks then make the raid deck easier.

Raid is a great format for league as newer players can play it alongside better players and have fun winning. It’s not meant to be super difficult.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
This is honestly the best thing to happen to the game in years imo. My youngest brother really likes the cards but doesn't have a grasp on math involving larger numbers yet, so the beginner formats are perfect for him. The advanced formats, especially 2v2, are great for the rest of the family since the Standard format has become extremely boring and stale for us lately.

jarefox

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
We have been playing Raid format at our local store for a few weeks now. Its very exciting to see the players working together to take out the Boss. Plus it gives us something to do with those old oversized cards besides collecting.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
This is a very good move with Standard being Standard and Expanded being as unpopular as it generally is. TPCi cannot control the Japan side, but they can encourage people to try healthier formats.

GLC looks like a fun way of playing single-prizers but limiting Expanded's power through a singleton format. It's probably the best way to play single-prizers, since Standard has a very weird selection of cards. I think I'll try it out.

cruithear

Aspiring Trainer
This Raid format looks perfect for playing with my kids! The suggested cards are also super cheap so it's an easy boss deck to set up.

Does anyone have any more information than was presented in the PDF about example raid boss decks and the like? Everything I found searching was about the Raid Battle thing that looks very different from what is presented here.

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying a cooperative format and this looks amazing

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
This Raid format looks perfect for playing with my kids! The suggested cards are also super cheap so it's an easy boss deck to set up.

Does anyone have any more information than was presented in the PDF about example raid boss decks and the like? Everything I found searching was about the Raid Battle thing that looks very different from what is presented here.

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying a cooperative format and this looks amazing
There are two different "Raid Battles" that Pokémon has presented, and the one in the PDF and this article is the newer one that's actually good. The other one debuted over a year ago and was awful. That's unfortunately what you're probably seeing when you're trying to search for more about this one. If you have specific questions about how to play Raid format, fire away!