Rainbow Rare Aerodactyl VSTAR from ‘Lost Abyss’

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
The rainbow rare print of Aerodactyl VSTAR from Lost Abyss was revealed in a pack opening by the Japanese Pokemon Card Game YouTube channel. Lost Abyss releases in Japan this Friday, July 15th, so we’ll continue to see the rest of the secret rares from the set over the next several days–stay tuned! We should see most of the cards from this set become part of our Lost Origin set in September.
We previously translated all of the cards from Lost Abyss.

RR-Aerodactyl-VSTAR-LQ-145x200.jpg

#118 RR Aerodactyl VSTAR...

Continue reading...

At this point if an aerodactyl alt art doesn't come from this, it would be disappointing. If it exists, it's either gonna be my favourite card this year or my least, banking more on the former as the alt arts this year have been straight up fire. Hoping it's as breathtaking as the Lumineon one was, but might just lose my mind if it is something from Naoki Saito,

I think that they need to retire the Rainbow variants honestly. Are these a design choice or is it a show of support for the LGBTQ+ community? If it is then maybe they should keep them, but if it’s really not then they really should replace them with something else. Maybe something like those Yu-Gi-Oh! Starlight rare cards would be nice, with the artist’s autograph added somewhere on the card. Idk. Just something new.

I think that they need to retire the Rainbow variants honestly. Are these a design choice or is it a show of support for the LGBTQ+ community? If it is then maybe they should keep them, but if it’s really not then they really should replace them with something else. Maybe something like those Yu-Gi-Oh! Starlight rare cards would be nice, with the artist’s autograph added somewhere on the card. Idk. Just something new.

I think we should ditch the full art Vs and Vstars, those are pointless filler, the rainbows are pretty and unique. This way we have 2 less pointless versions of the same cards since rainbows and golds are the same art style as the full arts and can fill with more Alt Arts

But I do think we should ditch the rainbow trainers those serve no purpose at all

I would rather see full art Vs remain over rainbow rares any day of the week. Lots of less popular pokemon will often see V cards but not vmax/vstar and the full art Vs allow those pokemon to have something special in the sets. Also at least the full art Vs are different artwork than the regular vs and sometimes look better. With rainbow cards they almost never look better and are identical artworks.

Now obviously if they said they were going to do alt arts instead of full art Vs entirely then yeah do away with them but if I had to lose one or the other I'd pick full arts over RRs

i don't think japan gives a damn about the LGBTQ community lol

I think we should ditch the full art Vs and Vstars, those are pointless filler, the rainbows are pretty and unique. This way we have 2 less pointless versions of the same cards since rainbows and golds are the same art style as the full arts and can fill with more Alt Arts

But I do think we should ditch the rainbow trainers those serve no purpose at all
There is no full art for Vstars.

Full arts are much better than the rainbows. While they both get some cool textured patterns, and the rainbow ones have really striking ones, at least full arts have different art on them and are the Pokemon’s true colors. I’d much rather they completely limit rainbows/gold cards. Maybe doing one every so often in a set as a special thing, which is what I feel they should’ve always been. They’ve over saturated the tcg with rainbows.

I think we should ditch the full art Vs and Vstars, those are pointless filler, the rainbows are pretty and unique. This way we have 2 less pointless versions of the same cards since rainbows and golds are the same art style as the full arts and can fill with more Alt Arts.
I can't tell if this is a troll comment or not. But... How are rainbows "unique" when they, for the entirety of their existence, been palette swaps of already-existing renders from Full Art GXs, VMAXs, VSTARs, and Full Art Trainer artworks?

At least Full Arts have their own renders and VStars are an entire card type. Rainbows are nothing but derivative, pointless filler.

I can't tell if this is a troll comment or not. But... How are rainbows "unique" when they, for the entirety of their existence, been palette swaps of already-existing renders from Full Art GXs, VMAXs, VSTARs, and Full Art Trainer artworks?

At least Full Arts have their own renders and VStars are an entire card type. Rainbows are nothing but derivative, pointless filler.
Literally exactly what I thought. Pokemon Fans are known for bad/wrong/misinformed takes but this is just Giga Cringe.

Full arts are much better than the rainbows. While they both get some cool textured patterns, and the rainbow ones have really striking ones, at least full arts have different art on them and are the Pokemon’s true colors. I’d much rather they completely limit rainbows/gold cards. Maybe doing one every so often in a set as a special thing, which is what I feel they should’ve always been. They’ve over saturated the tcg with rainbows.
Also, Rainbow Rares usually always take up more space than necessary. They really do not need to take up 5-10+ slots, much less be in sets at all. I'd rather pull a good, interesting card that wouldn't exist if its existence was taken up by a crappy, useless, often less valuable Rainbow Rare.

Yeah, imo, they need to streamline these a lot. Regular, full, and alt art is already more than enough. Rainbows and gold stuff are hideous and super tacky. The gold items from the BW and XY era were ok, those are nice, but since S&M, gold is just as tacky as the rainbows. It's the tcg equivalent of those arab dudes that cover their cars in gold. It just looks bad and tacky.

honestly I think rainbow pokemon are alright, kids love em, and they at the very least hide the plastic-y look of the 5ban art (the Aerodactyl above being a prime example). It would be nice if they had an actual background, but they're not unforgivable sins like some fans make them out to be imo

Rainbow supporters however... yuckkkkkkkk. Getting an error pack with a common in the rare slot would be more interesting than pulling one

honestly I think rainbow pokemon are alright, kids love em, and they at the very least hide the plastic-y look of the 5ban art (the Aerodactyl above being a prime example). It would be nice if they had an actual background, but they're not unforgivable sins like some fans make them out to be imo

Rainbow supporters however... yuckkkkkkkk. Getting an error pack with a common in the rare slot would be more interesting than pulling one
I think the points about them oversaturating the setlists and secret rare slots are very valid though, and i imagine that kids enjoy alt arts just as much if not more

I agree that rainbow do remove that horrible 5ban look. Personally, I think rainbow rares are great for the pack cover leads. For example, Mew and Genesect from Fusion Strike etc. For me, the real BIG issue with rainbow rares is when it applies to full art trainers. I am so SO disappointed when I pull a RR trainer. Both Brilliant Stars AND Astral Radiance, I pulled the trainers I was looking for... in RR, which is where it sucks. RR does a good job with 3D prints because 5ban (personal opinion incoming) looks god awful; but trainers are well drawn, sometimes very aesthetic art pieces that get THRASHED by RR treatment. Also yes, having 2139082139021 RR also adds padding.

TLDR, 1 ~ 2 RR max focusing on the pack highlight pokemon IMO is a fun touch, but no more than that; and leave the full art trainers alone!

I would rather see full art Vs remain over rainbow rares any day of the week. Lots of less popular pokemon will often see V cards but not vmax/vstar and the full art Vs allow those pokemon to have something special in the sets. Also at least the full art Vs are different artwork than the regular vs and sometimes look better. With rainbow cards they almost never look better and are identical artworks.

Now obviously if they said they were going to do alt arts instead of full art Vs entirely then yeah do away with them but if I had to lose one or the other I'd pick full arts over RRs
Don't know whether this is the correct place to ask this question. But I've been wondering the following thing: I'm a big Johto generation fan, and that being said, Feraligatr is my favorite pokemon ever. But why does e.g. Feraligtr never get a Ex/GX/V/Vstar/... card? I see all the different generation starters getting these cards, either in sets or as promos. But the Johto starters never get these kinds of cards. Is there an understandable explanation for that?

Don't know whether this is the correct place to ask this question. But I've been wondering the following thing: I'm a big Johto generation fan, and that being said, Feraligatr is my favorite pokemon ever. But why does e.g. Feraligtr never get a Ex/GX/V/Vstar/... card? I see all the different generation starters getting these cards, either in sets or as promos. But the Johto starters never get these kinds of cards. Is there an understandable explanation for that?
They do seem to get less love than others.

Rainbow rares suck, and it's annoying that Vstars don't get alt arts. It'd be nice if they removed RR's and cut down on the size of these sets. 200+ sets consistently is getting annoying. I really prefer the ones that stick around 120 cards

Gold and Silver are in kind of an awkward spot because they got their remakes immediately before Black and White, which was when the TCG had its last major overhaul, pushing the Johto-centric cards outside of Expanded format. Every other generation got a remake or started after the change.

Back