Clefairy, Clefable from ‘Dark Phantasma’

Well, if I understood it correctly, you can switch between different Clefairys to use the ability multiple times in a turn, up to a maximum of 4. Even with just three uses and one manual attachment that's 10x20, 200 damage in one go, all while emptying your deck of energies so it's easier to draw more useful cards with Bibarel. That plus Choice Belt is a 1HKO on evolvings Vs, and since you're playing basics you can do it going second.

4 Clefairy, 3-3 Bibarel, 1 Manaphy, maybe 12-14 energies, and the rest of the deck can be filled with useful cards like switches, air ballons, belts, exp. share, Boss, Marnie, Peonia, Training Court...

EDIT: Oh, and of course 4 Quick Ball and 4 Level Ball to get those Clefairys as early as possible. Maybe it is really too resource dependent.
Quick Ball and Training Court will be rotated once we get these cards. Marnie and some other cards like Switch will be likely to be rotated as well.

Like what I said, Clefairy is just bad as an atkr. 20x is just outdated in the meta these days. I prefer 30x or 40x to get significant numbers by using minimum effort.

Glass cannons have extremely binary and boring gameplay - get the cannon, or break the glass. The fact that only viable single-prizers are glass cannons isn't a problem in itself, it's a symptom. And as for the date, it's in the open:
View attachment 16530
mguy, if you just don't like the game you can stop playing it. Regular everyday pokemon are not going to be tanking attacks. Not anymore, at least. I think the last time we did was with like Greninka BREAK, and even then it wasn't just a regular everyday Pokemon. Glass cannons are fine, its subjective if they're boring or not but personally, they help ensure a match is a little faster so it's ok with me.

I think you make a bold theory thinking quick shooting will be played when both sobble and drizzle will be dead cards without shady dealings.
Sobble aint dead, as good as ever. Drizzile however will be dead and the evolution line wont give u consistency. I belive urshi will turn to arceus or Peony with bibarel and both of them should be able to build with the strategy of mustard. And when you play mustard then you will be able to play evs florgess as well

What's bad about that? It's a glass cannon. The majority of single prize attackers that have been good in the last few years already do this.

Clefairy itself is bad though I think. It requires way too much to work. You need 17 energy to ohko everything, a little less (15) if Choice Belt. I can definitely see it being a good engine for a future Clefable deck, but right now I don't think it's really useable. Super cool though.
The game design is still boring, balanced? Yes but when it is straight forward ohkos with nothing extra it becomes super boring game design. Think rapid mally and spiritomb mirrors.

Quick Ball and Training Court will be rotated once we get these cards. Marnie and some other cards like Switch will be likely to be rotated as well.

Like what I said, Clefairy is just bad as an atkr. 20x is just outdated in the meta these days. I prefer 30x or 40x to get significant numbers by using minimum effort.
Ssitch aint rotating

mguy, if you just don't like the game you can stop playing it.
"Just stop" isn't as big of a dunk as you think it is. If you don't like my comments, stop reading them.
Glass cannons are fine, its subjective if they're boring or not but personally, they help ensure a match is a little faster so it's ok with me.
The issue aren't "glass cannons", because it's completely context-dependent on what is a "glass cannon". The two main problems are - single-prizers cannot exist competitively without being glass cannons, gimmicks or support Pokemon (and they make the OVERWHELMING percentage of cards released), and these glass cannons need a ton of building around to work, so it's not the card itself that is boring, the decks that run them are boring, because they must use their entire engine to achieve their goal (otherwise they would be obviously broken). No variation, you either get the cannon in time, or scoop. This has been true at least since Blacephalon.

The issue aren't "glass cannons", because it's completely context-dependent on what is a "glass cannon". The two main problems are - single-prizers cannot exist competitively without being glass cannons, gimmicks or support Pokemon (and they make the OVERWHELMING percentage of cards released), and these glass cannons need a ton of building around to work, so it's not the card itself that is boring, the decks that run them are boring, because they must use their entire engine to achieve their goal (otherwise they would be obviously broken). No variation, you either get the cannon in time, or scoop. This has been true at least since Blacephalon.
We are getting a new series soon here, with 3 prizers dying out maybe we could see base rarity single prize ultra rares as the primary mechanic for the first time since primes, a Lv X or Break type mechanic would be interesting to see.

We are getting a new series soon here, with 3 prizers dying out maybe we could see base rarity single prize ultra rares as the primary mechanic for the first time since primes, a Lv X or Break type mechanic would be interesting to see.

On this topic, for me, the sweet spot is the EX era, meaning viable one prizers and not yet stupidly powercrept two prizers coexisting. That's why Legacy is my favorite format of all time. That is the sweet spot for me, I love it. Oh, and no guaranteed Boss effect, that shit needs to go as well.

Clefairy is really cool and isn't overpowered at all, like not even close. VStars are overpowered to an insane degree though. The gap between single prizers and two prizers is expanding while the gap between two prizers and three prizers is shrinking; this is gross because two prizers have had a massive advantage for a long time and giving them 280+ HP is just rediculous. Clefairy ain't the problem, it's VStars like Arceus. One prizers have to have some insane gimmick to work, two prizers are the default competitive Pokemon and most of them are underpowered but even the crappy two prizers like Zarude V are impossible broken compared to 99% single prizers.

Last edited:
On this topic, for me, the sweet spot is the EX era, meaning viable one prizers and not yet stupidly powercrept two prizers coexisting. That's why Legacy is my favorite format of all time. That is the sweet spot for me, I love it. Oh, and no guaranteed Boss effect, that shit needs to go as well.
proper legacy is having pokemon catcher as pre erata

I have prayed for that in soooo many years, my proposal would be Lv.Y, you can only level up when switching between active and bench, no matter whos turn it is. that could make gusting a lot about mind games as it can allow u to level up and make their plans ruined

The moment you realise clefairy as a slightly edited version of a LUNALA PRISIM STARS ATTACK! Yep, Power creep is dumb

We won't see the 2 or 3-prize basic bonanza end.
Since B/W this has been a theme and if I read correctly Pokémon don't want to change this really.
Some like it but for me it's the reason I never came back to play the game.
My personal feeling has always been to evolve Pokémon and have this 6vs6 feeling and not just hoping to get my nukes out first and go ham on the opponent.

Remember when SP hit the field and changed the game, yeah even warped it around them.
Now we don't got a power creep but rather power sprint, cards that would have been impossible, thanks to beeing to strong to even imagine, are not playable.

Feeling like a living meme when I tell people I used to evolve my Pokémon and playing a stage 2 as viable deck archetype was a thing.

The two main problems are - single-prizers cannot exist competitively without being glass cannons, gimmicks or support Pokemon (and they make the OVERWHELMING percentage of cards released)
yeah, that's what really hurts about modern Pokemon for me. The fact that the vast majority of cards released will never be even remotely playable even as a rogue deck, and you already know from the very beginning that the vast majority of playable attackers will be in the Ultra Rare spot only.

I don't feel like talking about the effectiveness of these Clefairy and Clefable cards, but I I like the art. I love Kouki Saitou's art from Gen IV and before, but his modern coloring style is too "shiny" for my liking; still, the Clefairy art is quite cute, possibly my favorite art from him in a while. I don't really like the Clefairy being better than the Clefable, but ah well, I guess that Ability could theoretically be useful if Dragon-types suddenly become really popular or something.

Back