Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I disagree, it's not about ones money or success, it's the impact they have. When a man spends $5,000,000 usd on a single card, it sends a signal that there is big money to be made in Pokemon. People who have money then spend it on Pokemon as an investment rather than a competitive or collective hobby. This spending in turn reduces overall product which increases the prices. Suddenly, it's more expensive to enjoy a once moderately priced hobby. No longer can I go to a store and hope they have what I want, I now need to pre-order everything many months in advanced to hopefully get ahold of the product I want. I don't believe the problems we are facing are entirely LP, but at the very least he is a part of it. And he genuinely pulls stunts that otherwise add to this (seriously, remember the hype over his 1st edition sealed case, realise that he not only hyped it up, but MADE money of a fake product (view money + full refund)). Does he like Pokemon? Sure. Does he do everything he does to make money? Most definitely. I just wish it didn't roll onto the rest of us. I just wanna go back to enjoying my hobby without it completely breaking my bank, which is a lot easier when I can get what I want; and, when I get it, it is at MSRP.
Exactly this. No one "loves" any one thing 5 million dollars worth unless it's going to make them 6 (one way or another).

Scoop

Literally a sheep
And while I used to have some respect for the collector section of the TCG fandom, the incredibly disturbing shift from simple collecting to more investment-laden and monetary-value-obssessed collectors has made me lose it in an instant and swap it for pure hatred.
I think it's worth noting that there's plenty of legitimate collectors who were affected by this hype period of low supply and high demand. I don't want it to look like the collector's side of the TCG is exclusively these "monetary-value-obsessed" collectors when a lot of us were struggling to collect because of the hype that was surrounding the TCG at the time.

I couldn't care less about the actual TCG as a game at the moment, I'm just in it for the shiny cardboard and collecting cards and sets I like- but certainly not one of the people causing/banking on the problem either when I was, at the time, directly affected by it actively hindering the hobby for me.

gtm

Aspiring Trainer
cue more crying kids :(

> it's not a crime to show off your love for Pokemon
tbf a lot of things arent crimes if you have money

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Would he know that even in those plastic slabs that cards can still chip/scuff to show damage from sudden movements?

Nah. Probably not.

Shadough

Aspiring Trainer
"The card has gone through multiple owners over the years and was graded as a PSA 9 several times due to a small chip in the corner. However, it was regraded again and ultimately received a 10."
lmao at accidentally explaining how PSA grading aka "keep sending until you get a 10" works
I wonder what the previous owner of the PSA 10 is gunna do with his his new 9 🤔.

DjKniteX

Aspiring Trainer
Scalping is/was caused by supply and demand issues that started during the pandemic, like all TCGs. It's not just Pokemon, it's sports cards and Magic too.

The narrative that it's all Logan Paul's fault comes from people who couldn't see the larger picture during the pandemic and pinned it on a notable face in an attempt to come up with an explanation for what was happening. I was honestly annoyed of that narrative because it's just so basic and lacks nuance. The people who presented that narrative also failed to mention the pandemic issues that the TCG companies themselves acknowledged.

I'm sure Paul is causing some of the negative hype with his whole "bling bling Chingling," but it's not a crime to show off your love for Pokemon. Just check out all the financial collectors on Instagram before the pandemic started -- people like Paul have always been part of this hobby. Yes, Paul's hyping will bring in some people who are here for the wrong reasons, but in the long run there's going to be a lot more fans who find a new love for Pokemon and stick around to make our community better.

I have heard about sports cards being scalped unless magic scalping as a thing of the past (recent couple years) I don't remember seeing any MTG products ever being out of stock or even hit with a restriction of two products per customers. At least from the last 3 tcg places I been to and Target for the last couple years.

It has been Pokemon/Sports cards for all I know. Magic seems to have products every time I look at the TCG section of some stores

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
I never thought he genuinely loved/liked Pokemon at all, but more like jumped on the bandwagon cause it was "cool" again. And since he has the money to flaunt it like this, he will for the lolz and views and then been bored and done with it in a year or two or even less

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
ITT: people eternally mad they don't have $6 million to burn on anything and think that making fun of someone who does makes them cool

DragonRage

Rayquaza is pog
Yo... what ? Five million dollars ? That's sick. But hey, it's probably the only card like that on Planet Earth..
And about LP, guys, stop hating. Diego Lima's right. I watch his vlogs regularly, the guy's fun, pretty original, and a real life-lover. Of course he invests in PTCG because it's popular and will boost his own popularity. So what ? Everyone has his/hers perks. He has big money, and boosts, if not the hype, the visibility of PTCG. And I'm hyped to see news scream about the holy grail of Pokémon cards sold for record price.
And, that card's never gonna go down in price. The thing with collecting is that you often collect stuff that isn't produced anymore. So there's a certain set amount of "that" on Earth, that cannot go up. You can't legitimately duplicate it, so the number can only go down. I love that about collecting..
Have a great day, guys, and remember to keep your head cool. There's enough hate in the world, so no point in directing more at a rich bloke enthousiast about twenty grams of paperboard with ink. Over and out ;P

Gashnet

Aspiring Trainer
This proves he's the fakest collector of all time. Any real collector would kill for a box of Aquapolis and Skyridge or Umbreon/Espeon Star but he doesn't know what those are and won't until he reads about it after 50 articles cover them.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This proves he's the fakest collector of all time. Any real collector would kill for a box of Aquapolis and Skyridge or Umbreon/Espeon Star but he doesn't know what those are and won't until he reads about it after 50 articles cover them.
Imagine being this mad about how other people spend their money.

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
touchgrass.jpg

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I honestly don't care about him, and don't hate him for his money or whatever (otherwise I would be hating everyone rich), but I think he was a negative influence in the landscape of the competitive TCG. It wasn't entirely his fault, it was all a combination of factors, but it has gotten to the point where I wish he would have picked ANYTHING else to overhype and as such we wouldn't have this massive problem where 99% of the people buying Pokémon cards do so only to collect them a la beany baby rage and the only people actually playing the game can be found in the apps. My saltiness is also compounded by how terribly handled TCG Live has been. Though to be honest I think that if it wasn't him it would have been someone else, sooner or later the bubble would have started, and what was already a majority in the Pokemon TCG (collectors) would become the de-facto customer base.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hardly. I'm just saying he won't buy something until someone else points out how rare a pokemon TCG item is.
And? Assuming that's true, what's wrong with that? Have you seen his collection? Who are you to judge what qualifies someone as a collector or not?

Your previous post reeks of jealousy. "Well a REAL collector would OBVIOUSLY want THESE cards, heh heh!" Like anyone who doesn't fit your definition of what a collector is isn't worthy of the title.

Let me explain it another way. I see you've been a member of our forums for three months, but you've only replied to news stories. I think REAL members should post in more than just one forum, so because you haven't done that I'm going to ban you from posting because obviously you're not what I think constitutes a REAL member. You see how dumb that sounds?

If you were so wealthy that you had $6 million in pissing away money and decided to buy all those things you mentioned instead of a much rarer purchase, that's fine. Dude chose to go another way. That's no reason to hate.