Togekiss from ‘Space Juggler’!

People really want rare candy post rotation, but for what? They haven’t released any stage 2s that can compete with or support the big decks like Mew or Arceus, given Inteleon is out. Personally I just think Pokemon co. sucks at balance, but it’s more or less on purpose; they want kiddos to play with the biggest, greasiest, most popular Pokémon so they gotta give them the beeg number and they have to be basics. I really think the big basic EXs introduced back in BW were a mistake.

The card design for this era is getting insanely predictable. I only had to see the Togekiss thumbnail for this article to think "Hmm, a Holofoil Stage 2, it probably has a decent but situational ability, and its attack is a flat boring [?][C][C] for 120 damage and no additional effect". And whaddya know

Edit: Wait. wait a minute. Togekiss is literally a nerfed version of Dragonite from Roaring Skies. A non-holo. From 2015. Really????

Last edited:
It's a bad card but I like the fact that they are actually printing different Fairy and Poison pokemon with their new typing instead of repeating the same mistakes of the SM era, that only printed the same Fairy Pokémon over and over again.

What did the SM era do so wrong? If you're nitpicking that things like Primarina and Tapu Bulu/Koko weren't represented as Fairy then fine, but SM has been one of the best eras in representing different Pokemon in a long time.

Also if the above is the reason then I don't see how Swsh era is any better as we have plenty of Gen 8 Pokemon who aren't represented in their secondary typing yet.

Celebi VMAX? Maybe. My first reaction was Heatran VMAX, if anything. In any case, if anyone wants to build a cube with modern SWSH bulk, their options just got a lot more interesting. In any case, a lot of modern stage 2s have good but situational abilities and similarly balanced attacks, so it sounds like they might actually be fairly balanced against each other and could make a simple but cheap and beautifully illustrated cube. If you've been opening a box or two of each set as it comes out, you would probably only need to buy sleeves and extra copies of holos, and it would be a fun way of introducing less experienced players to Pokemon (or to cube). It would be one step above the Pokemon Battle Academy, teaching entry level players basic deck building skills and the value of abilities. (I would probably have far more success introducing my family to such a cube than to my current, multi-era cube.)
P.S. Reminder that Torterra is a solid budget deck that solves most of the problems that people complain about within stage 2 decks (consistency, damage output and threshold, etc.) within its own archetype. We may not get another good stage 2 for a while, but at least we have one that we can play right now.

Last edited:
Curious as to how they decide what Pokemon will usually always be supporters, damage dealers or tanks. I mean, Togekiss is very strong so I've always wondered why all its cards are designed for support...

Well, hopefully the next thing they reveal is rare candy?
They really don't need to as Rare Candy has been printed with the F (or whatever the latest regulation letter is, I don't keep track) mark in the 100 Starter Deck products.

For the west if it doesn't appear on booster packs, it's going to go on an auxillary product somewhere. Regardless, it's definitely coming.

Celebi is also a bad card.

Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss - this card sucks. 90 dmg isn't enough to justify the amount of damage that most Pokemon normally do nowadays. Most Pokemon do 180-220 normally. 90 isn't enough to shrug off that damage. I admire the 3-energy attack from Mewtwo V-Union that can heal 200 dmg, meaning it will invalidate that common damage. Sorry. 2/2/3
I mean it would exist an argument to play that deck if you wana have a good MU against samurot and darkrai while having close if not favourable against unprepared arceus and rapid lists

What did the SM era do so wrong? If you're nitpicking that things like Primarina and Tapu Bulu/Koko weren't represented as Fairy then fine, but SM has been one of the best eras in representing different Pokemon in a long time.

Also if the above is the reason then I don't see how Swsh era is any better as we have plenty of Gen 8 Pokemon who aren't represented in their secondary typing yet.

It's not nitpicking if it's the entire reason why I am posted this, tone it down the condescending tone. I like double typings and small types to be actually represented instead of reprinting Gardevoir for the unteempth time.

It's not nitpicking if it's the entire reason why I am posted this, tone it down the condescending tone. I like double typings and small types to be actually represented instead of reprinting Gardevoir for the unteempth time.

SM is my favourite TCG era, so I'm just trying to understand the faults you're pointing out. Gardevoir got a GX, Tag Team and 1 baby, that's hardly overdoing it when Gardevoir is a popular Pokemon, and it's not like that shafted any other Fairy Pokemon as every single one made an appearance in the SM era. I mean cool that the Togepi line finally got represented as it's new Psychic typing, but I don't see how you can blame the SM era for the lack of it when there were no type changes in that era.

People really want rare candy post rotation, but for what? They haven’t released any stage 2s that can compete with or support the big decks like Mew or Arceus, given Inteleon is out. Personally I just think Pokemon co. sucks at balance, but it’s more or less on purpose; they want kiddos to play with the biggest, greasiest, most popular Pokémon so they gotta give them the beeg number and they have to be basics. I really think the big basic EXs introduced back in BW were a mistake.
I feel Inteleon will stick around with mustard in something like Jolteon but joteon will only be mid tier post rotation

Seeing that the Time Gaser and Space Juggler will be released a week Friday, when do we expect to see the full list for both sets?

Big Basic EXs and the like are not bad for the game, they just need to balance properly. Multi-prize Pokemon have been getting stronger and stronger compared to how much 1-prize Pokemon have gotten stronger.

Back