JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Today, the Pokemon Company International has officially revealed Pokemon Trading Card Game Live! A short gameplay teaser trailer was released alongside the reveal of the new client, which releases later this year for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android–including official support for mobile phones. The all-new client is not developed by PTCGO’s developer, Dire Wolf Digital, but is being developed in house by the Pokemon Company International.

A few things to note about PTCGL:

The cards in your PTCGO collection will transfer over, to a degree. You’ll be limited to just 4 copies of most cards, 1 copy of cards like ACE SPECs, Prism Star cards, and individual pieces of Pokémon V-UNION, and up to 59 copies of each Basic Energy card. Cards released prior to Black & White will not be transferred. Cards in excess of these quantities will not be transferred and will not be converted to Credits during the switch from PTCGO to PTCGL...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that it's going to work on mobile devices and generally works as an upgrade, but...
250px-Julie_Pok%C3%A9mon_Play_It.png

Heiji

Part time collector
Before choosing whether or not to open the remaining packs on PTCGO, it would be useful to know the in-game "purchasing power" of these crystals in PTCGL

Last edited:

Sombres

Aspiring Trainer
Before choosing whether or not to open the remaining packs on PTCGO, it would be useful to know the in-game "purchasing power" of those crystals in PTCGL
We don't know for sure, but we know you can safely open/trade any packs you have after the 125th.

Ilexon

Aspiring Trainer
Does anyone else find the 3d avatars and all cards facing you really off. The board doesn't look like a real game, everything faces you and the bench gets super squashed, I hope there's a board like option. Some things seem good though, being able to get promos and individual cards in game sounds great (as long as its not too expensive) so you can make decks easier.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Glad to see this is finally on mobile, but... I'm very disappointed by not keeping any HGSS cards. I get it in the sense that they're not in the Expanded format, but... what would be the harm in carrying over a few only-for-collection sets? Also, super great news with only SM-onwards at the launch of the game, when the majority of my cards are from BW and XY. I know that's a me problem, but at the same time, why not everything at launch? (Edit: Actually, it's from Lost Thunder and on at launch. Wow! That's even MORE limiting for me! Lost Thunder was the last SM set I cared about.)

Do not even get me started on those lifeless, generic 3D avatars...

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Okay, I've got some thoughts here... And it's pretty negative. So, sorry if you're hyped for this, but I'm gonna be a bit of a salt factory today.

While I'm going to preface that I do completely agree PTCGO needed an update, this is... The absolute worst possible way they could have done it, for me. I've been playing TCGO for the last seven years and this new client is effectively getting rid of everything I played the game for.

The cards in your PTCGO collection will transfer over, to a degree. You’ll be limited to just 4 copies of most cards, 1 copy of cards like ACE SPECs, Prism Star cards, and individual pieces of Pokémon V-UNION. Cards released prior to Black & White will not be transferred.

This is the big one. The Legacy Format, hanging onto a thin lifeline by the small crowd of people who enjoyed the format, is now dead. My favorite format, the one format that I enjoyed playing anymore is dead. The time I spent investing in, learning, playing all these decks that I've come to love? Dead. Wasted. Gone. The lack of support for it for years on TCGO was already painful, but this is just... Really sad to see. That's already one reason for me to not bother with this.

And then you've got the "up to 4-of" clause of owning cards. While this is more of a me-problem, part of the fun of TCGO was building a collection of these cards, showing off what you've got, and collecting many copies of certain Pokemon. Guess all the time I spent collecting 400+ Hatterene V's as a meme was a waste. Fun! Again, that's a me problem, but...Collecting stuff was part of the fun on there for me.

It is not possible to trade with other players in PTCGL. Instead, you unlock cards in game and ‘extra’ copies of cards are converted into Credits, one of the game’s three currencies, that can be redeemed for single cards to add to your collection.
Very mixed on this. Converting extra copies of cards into some form of credit? Great idea- one that we've been suggesting be a thing for years. Being able to get single cards? Great for deck building!

While this is a great way to combat how hyperinflated the trading market can be on the game, trading was a huge part of what made TCGO fun for me. When the market was healthy, it was a great way to negotiate and interact with the community in the game. This just... Kind of kills that. With all the flaws of it though, I'm not sure how I feel about it 100%. But getting rid of trading also hurts the whole collection-building thing they're already killing off.

---

Listen- I get it, what this is trying to do. And I'm fully aware most people just want a TCG battle simulator, that they're getting it, and that most people aren't going to be affected by the stuff that I'm let down by. I'm mainly just put down by the death of Legacy.

I don't really have much to say about the battle UI. I'm not a fan. I hope there's ways to turn the stupid wacky flashy visual effects off. It seems like it's way too barren on PC, while condensing things that don't need to be condensed on such. I understand mobile, but... Why is there so much dead, empty space on the PC match screen??

This whole thing doesn't feel like an upgrade to TCGO. It just feels like a side-grade, or a downgrade in many cases. Why is it that this company, anytime they do something, feels the need to go two steps back for any step forward they make?

And goodness, those awful, dead-eyed avatars...

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
The "MtG Arena-zation" is palpable. Brace your wallets. Some of my worst fears have come to life. Instead of just adding the things we needed (ranked ladder for instance), they killed a bunch of super important things that made PTCGO unique and good for it. "This has been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever". I get the mobile version may needs this, but why make the desktop version have those square, textless little cards just like it is on Arena? That's just ugly as f***. In Arena it makes sense because MtG boards can get crazy with the amount of cards and tokens, but Pokémon doesn't have that issue, the realistic "you're playing on a table" feel of the current client was perfect, you could easily make out what is what on the board. And that oversized HP...yikes. And depending on how hard they wanna follow the WotC way of doing business, i.e. going full blast on FOMO, expensive as hell, etc, I might just have to stop playing it altogether just like I had to do with Magic.

Last edited:

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
8 uniques decks and get 1 card you want once per time? I like these, give me reasons to play, I remember a game of Yugi where you start with an awful 40 cards decks and then you can earn specific cards by defeating CPU characters an specific number of times until you eventually finish with a better deck, would love it more if all people should do the exact same thing but I guess most people will just buy codes

Red-EyesHydreigon

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, I've got some thoughts here... And it's pretty negative. So, sorry if you're hyped for this, but I'm gonna be a bit of a salt factory today.

While I'm going to preface that I do completely agree PTCGO needed an update, this is... The absolute worst possible way they could have done it, for me. I've been playing TCGO for the last seven years and this new client is effectively getting rid of everything I played the game for.

This is the big one. The Legacy Format, hanging onto a thin lifeline by the small crowd of people who enjoyed the format, is now dead. My favorite format, the one format that I enjoyed playing anymore is dead. The time I spent investing in, learning, playing all these decks that I've come to love? Dead. Wasted. Gone. The lack of support for it for years on TCGO was already painful, but this is just... Really sad to see. That's already one reason for me to not bother with this.

And then you've got the "up to 4-of" clause of owning cards. While this is more of a me-problem, part of the fun of TCGO was building a collection of these cards, showing off what you've got, and collecting many copies of certain Pokemon. Guess all the time I spent collecting 400+ Hatterene V's as a meme was a waste. Fun! Again, that's a me problem, but...Collecting stuff was part of the fun on there for me.

Very mixed on this. Converting extra copies of cards into some form of credit? Great idea- one that we've been suggesting be a thing for years. Being able to get single cards? Great for deck building!

While this is a great way to combat how hyperinflated the trading market can be on the game, trading was a huge part of what made TCGO fun for me. When the market was healthy, it was a great way to negotiate and interact with the community in the game. This just... Kind of kills that. With all the flaws of it though, I'm not sure how I feel about it 100%. But getting rid of trading also hurts the whole collection-building thing they're already killing off.

---

Listen- I get it, what this is trying to do. And I'm fully aware most people just want a TCG battle simulator, that they're getting it, and that most people aren't going to be affected by the stuff that I'm let down by. I'm mainly just put down by the death of Legacy.

I don't really have much to say about the battle UI. I'm not a fan. I hope there's ways to turn the stupid wacky flashy visual effects off. It seems like it's way too barren on PC, while condensing things that don't need to be condensed on such. I understand mobile, but... Why is there so much dead, empty space on the PC match screen??

This whole thing doesn't feel like an upgrade to TCGO. It just feels like a side-grade, or a downgrade in many cases. Why is it that this company, anytime they do something, feels the need to go two steps back for any step forward they make?

And don't even get me started on those dead-eyed avatars...
While I can’t really comment on the collection system, (Like you said, I use PTCGO as a “battle simulator”) I am disappointed there are no options for old format/legacy. Maybe one day. This is a step in the right direction for (standard) players, but the TCG has been getting worse and worse for collectors. From every new set almost always being bigger than the last, to this. Not to mention how egregious FA/SR prices will be for those of you that will try to get a master set.

Psycada

Aspiring Trainer
Really worried that this new version is gonna be riddled with microtransactions... The best part of ptcgo was it was so easy to get packs just through playing and there was no real pressure to spend within the game. You're encouraged to get physical packs for codes obvs but at least you have physical cards then. But it was never in your face about it. All the different currencies and that battle pass just makes me nervous.