Discussion Alternate Format Ideas

professsorpoke

NO 3 S's is not a typo
I just got approved to create and run Events on Play.Limiltesstcg.com. I created my first event, which is a custom Format tournament, and the only set legal is Vivid Voltage.<EDIT: THIS TOURNAMENT IS COMPLETED SO DON"T TRY TO JOIN IT> I think this will create a very diverse metagame, and you won't have access to staple trainers like Quick Ball, Switch, and Research. This tournament is happening on Wednesday and 12:00 PST, so if it interests you, go check it out. But the reason i am posting this thread is for more custom format tournament Ideas. Is the Single Set format solid? Or should I think of more ideas? Of course, if you have any, put them in the comments. I also don't want to run a whole much of the regular stuff, like SSH-On that is already being held on the sight.

professsorpoke

Last edited:

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
No offense but a single set VIV only format sounds awful. Namely because pokemon requires staples like Prof Research and Quick Ball to function. The game is about setting up a multiple card combo (1-3 pokemon line, 2-4 energy cards, plus tools and bench support) and you're floundering until you get that. It will be obnoxious to just sit there waiting to top deck pieces of your combo especially if someone lucks out and get's their set up first.

Last edited:

professsorpoke

NO 3 S's is not a typo
No offense but a single set VIV only format sounds awful. Namely because pokemon requires staples like Prof Research and Quick Ball to function. The game is about setting up a multiple card combo (1-3 pokemon line, 2-4 energy cards, plus tools and bench support) and you're floundering until you get that. It will be obnoxious to just sit there waiting to top deck pieces of your combo especially if someone lucks out and get's their set up first.

No offense taken, thanks for the input

HP cap seems interesting, such as no Pokemon with more than 200 base HP, or pick a different number.

That sounds interesting, maybe I'll refine it a bit and try it out.

Nyora

A Cat
Banhappy. Every round every player bans any card. That's public info, so that the same card doesn't get banned twice. Basic energy can't be banned.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Sword and shield only looks cool, it has loads of consistency cards and cool deck strategies