Video: Evolution of Pokemon Designs

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer

This video is the first in a series I am working on about the designs of Pokemon from different generations, and how designs have changed as time goes on. I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic - are there any points that you think I missed or got wrong? Is there anything you would like to see in future videos regarding later generations? And more generally, what do you think about Gen 1 designs, and what are your favorite generations from a design perspective?

Also, the forum made me choose a prefix, and I wasn't sure what to pick, because there wasn't a "video" option. But videos are creative work, right? If there is somewhere better for me to post this, let me know. Thanks!

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everybody, this is part 2 of my evolution of Pokemon series, and builds off of my previous post. In this part I look at how Gen 2 designs differ from Gen 1, and how it was influenced by culture and technology.

As always, I would love to hear your opinions on the topic. Were there any points that you disagree with, or any trends that I missed? Also, my next video will be on Generation 3, so if there are any design trends you want me to feature in that video let me know!

Moved here from new thread, in the future please keep the same series in the same thread! :) ~Vom

Last edited by a moderator:

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I guess I'll post the new entry in this thread (even though the title only says Generation 1, so it might get confusing haha). Here is my video on Generation 3!

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer
Part 4 of the series!

While the majority of the detail is in the video, here are a few of the main points.

Major themes: Legends and Mythology - This generation introduces the creation myths, has more legendary Pokemon than any other before it, and the starters are all legendary themed

Higher level of detail on average - Pokemon this generation tend to be more detailed, and have a higher number of colors

Common details include spikes and stripes

Common colors include grey and mid-tone blues, often with red and yellow accents. More muted pallet overall compared to Gen 3

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer

In this fifth installment we will take a look at the design of Pokemon in Generation 5 - Black and White. As always, I examine the themes of this generation, as well as common design trends among these Pokemon to see how they have changed from previous generations.

Summary of some of the major trends:

Many Pokemon that fill similar roles to previous generations (particularly Gen 1)

Willingness to be a little weirder and goofier than most of the previous generations

Focus on diversity with the human characters - starters represent different cultures

Theme of opposites, truth vs ideals

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer
Part 6 - Pokemon X and Y

Most of the info is in the video, but here is a quick summary

New region is Kalos - based on France, with a theme of beauty

Starter theme is RPG character archetypes

Introduces new fairy type - common features include use of the color pink, association with magic, folklore, and the moon

Introduces Mega Pokemon - often have very complicated, bold designs

Biggest trend is simplification and rounding of designs, including more round edges and simpler eye styles

Move to 3D models resulted in less saturated colors for most Pokemon

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer

This video discusses the design of Pokemon in the generation 7 games, Pokemon Sun and Moon. We discuss the new region, the major themes of these Pokemon, and the common design trends and motifs.

Some of the major themes of these games include evolution (in the real-world science way), invasive species, and alternate dimensions.

Major new additions are the Alolan forms - new forms for generation 1 Pokemon - and the Ultra Beasts.

Alolan forms usually either rounder, simplified versions of the original, or add extra details.

Ultra beasts are invaders from another dimension with very unusual designs for this series

Common trends of the normal Pokemon include bright, tropical colors and elaborate designs.

Enjoy!

RemptonGames

Aspiring Trainer
We made it! Today we finally talk about the most recent games in the series, Pokemon Sword and Shield. As always, we will take a look at the major design trends and themes of this generation, and how the designs have changed from previous generations!

The british influence is strong with this generation - many Pokemon based on British themes, starters all based on British pop-culture, Zacian and Zamazenta inspired by King Arthur legend.

New Galarian forms are different from Alola forms - mainly "darker and edgier" versions of their original forms, with more muted / grayscale color schemes

Gigantimax forms for older Pokemon emphasize size, don't change design much. Gigantimax for newer Pokemon change design much more substantially

Many designs barely change the source material - seem unfinished / missing "Pokemon twist"

Many Pokemon have complicated concepts, and try to convey a lot of ideas with a single design

Cognizant

Aspiring Trainer
Very interesting! It's amazing to see how the designs of monsters develop and how - really! - they resemble the trends in overall visual culture - can notice simplification, unexpected innovation and more cuteness