'Alakazam V Box' Revealed!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
If the pictures are accurate to the packs in the box, I sure hope Sun and Moon base isn’t becoming the new Evolutions. At least that set while not desirable for most had some nice collectible cards in it, but... To me, Sun and Moon is one of my least favorite sets in that entire generation.

EDIT, because I worded this terribly... It doesn't have much to offer that I personally like. I know it does to others (clearly). But I'm just not a fan of Gold Items or Rainbows, all that.

Last edited:

ApricornNut

Optimistic Trainer/Collector
Interesting to see Alakazam V getting the Lucario GX treatment, but yeah, it's ironic how a lot of people love Evolutions for it's collectability nowadays when they hated it's inclusion in EVERY SINGLE product in the past...

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
It's interesting that they chose to cut the regular art from the set and wait all the way until January to release it - if the FA Alakazam V is in Vivid Voltage, would that make this the first time a FA card has been released before the regular art?

The Fish

0.o
If the pictures are accurate to the packs in the box, I sure hope Sun and Moon base isn’t becoming the new Evolutions. At least that set while not desirable for most had some nice collectible cards in it, but... To me, Sun and Moon is one of the worst sets in that entire generation. What does it have to offer anymore?
Skarmory, Golbat, Krokorok, Caterpie, Diglett, Morelull, Charjabug and Kangaskhan cards which have awesome artwork that I for some reason do not own. Roof Fling Pinsir is to date on of my favourite meme cards. DCE. Oh and there's full art Team Skull Grunt. It's better than Evolutions in my opinion, since everyone's seen enough evolutions lately.

Macke

Master of deckbuilding
If the pictures are accurate to the packs in the box, I sure hope Sun and Moon base isn’t becoming the new Evolutions. At least that set while not desirable for most had some nice collectible cards in it, but... To me, Sun and Moon is one of the worst sets in that entire generation. What does it have to offer anymore?
I would take Sun & Moon base over Evolutions every day of the week. Evolutions has ca 0.5 good cards and disgusting artworks. The only thing that even makes it “good” is that the word “Charizard” is included in a few card names.

Sun & Moon base has clean card arts and layouts, more good cards (Nest ball, Ultra ball, DCE, etc) and isn’t as a set completely reliant on the most overrated, boring and overprinted card in the games history

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Now, don't get this all mixed up with me defending Evolutions in products it shouldn't be in. While I don't have as much a problem with it as others, I know why people don't want it. But, I'm still going to defend the set itself.

I would take Sun & Moon base over Evolutions every day of the week. Evolutions has ca 0.5 good cards and disgusting artworks. The only thing that even makes it “good” is that the word “Charizard” is included in a few card names.
Well, I personally like it for more than just the Charizard. I actually quite like the so-called disgusting artwork in it (and by that extent, Base Set-as well as Jungle~Fossil). It's classic Generation 1 aesthetics, what with some of Arita's oldest TCG works as well as a lot of the watercolor Sugimori art. The reverses are also really fun to go out and collect too. It was never made to be a competitively viable set. That was never the purpose of it. It's for collectors, mainly.

Sun & Moon base has clean card arts and layouts, more good cards (Nest ball, Ultra ball, DCE, etc) and isn’t as a set completely reliant on the most overrated, boring and overprinted card in the games history
Or, if you're mainly a collector like me, Nest Ball, Ultra Ball, and DCE (Which was printed in Evolutions as well so I don't know why you're using this as an example), have no appeal to me besides one of each going towards a complete set. I've got more than enough of any of those any day-especially considering DCE and Ultra Ball were printed in tons of sets, not just Sun and Moon Base.

See, it's all a matter of preference. I'm not denying it has good artwork-every set does, but Sun and Moon does nothing for me, personally. I've opened enough of that set over the years. I don't care much about any of the tacky-looking Rainbows and the Gold Cards, so there's nothing much out of it that I want that I don't already have.

I never said Evolutions was something you'd want out of a product, but if I had to pick between the two I'm picking Evolutions any day because there's things that I like out of the set a lot more than the former choice. The product itself should have something more recent though. Why not Cosmic Eclipse or something? That set has more valuable cards for players nowadays than Sun and Moon base does.

Macke

Master of deckbuilding
Now, don't get this all mixed up with me defending Evolutions in products it shouldn't be in. While I don't have as much a problem with it as others, I know why people don't want it. But, I'm still going to defend the set itself.

Well, I personally like it for more than just the Charizard. I actually quite like the so-called disgusting artwork in it (and by that extent, Base Set-as well as Jungle~Fossil). It's classic Generation 1 aesthetics, what with some of Arita's oldest TCG works as well as a lot of the watercolor Sugimori art. The reverses are also really fun to go out and collect too. It was never made to be a competitively viable set. That was never the purpose of it. It's for collectors, mainly.

Or, if you're mainly a collector like me, Nest Ball, Ultra Ball, and DCE (Which was printed in Evolutions as well so I don't know why you're using this as an example), have no appeal to me besides one of each going towards a complete set. I've got more than enough of any of those any day-especially considering DCE and Ultra Ball were printed in tons of sets, not just Sun and Moon Base.

See, it's all a matter of preference. I'm not denying it has good artwork-every set does, but Sun and Moon does nothing for me, personally. I've opened enough of that set over the years. I don't care much about any of the tacky-looking Rainbows and the Gold Cards, so there's nothing much out of it that I want that I don't already have.

I never said Evolutions was something you'd want out of a product, but if I had to pick between the two I'm picking Evolutions any day because there's things that I like out of the set a lot more than the former choice. The product itself should have something more recent though. Why not Cosmic Eclipse or something? That set has more valuable cards for players nowadays than Sun and Moon base does.

I was refering to the secret rates of Ultra ball, Nest ball, and DCE

The Fish

0.o

Cosmic eclipse would be very cool. Love that set. I guess they've finally started to run out of XY packs and are gradually loading in packs from the early Sun/Moon era. They have to do something with them. It's all up to personal preference, though I too hate the Rainbow Rares. But Evolution just doesn't do it for me as it does for you

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I was refering to the secret rates of Ultra ball, Nest ball, and DCE
DCE's Secret Rare was in Guardians Rising, I'm pretty sure.

Skarmory, Golbat, Krokorok, Caterpie, Diglett, Morelull, Charjabug and Kangaskhan cards which have awesome artwork that I for some reason do not own. Roof Fling Pinsir is to date on of my favourite meme cards. DCE. Oh and there's full art Team Skull Grunt. It's better than Evolutions in my opinion, since everyone's seen enough evolutions lately.
Man, if you weren't in the UK(I think?) I'd send you all of those you listed at the top, I've got too much of that set in bulk, lol. Skull Grunt's Full Art is honestly my favorite card in the set, but that's pretty much it. I hate the Rainbows, and the gold items don't do much for me as it is either.

Cosmic eclipse would be very cool. Love that set. I guess they've finally started to run out of XY packs and are gradually loading in packs from the early Sun/Moon era. They have to do something with them. It's all up to personal preference, though I too hate the Rainbow Rares. But Evolution just doesn't do it for me as it does for you

I like the late Sun and Moon sets a lot in general. 2018's sets were good, but the Tag Team year is what saved the Sun and Moon era from being just... Bad to me overall. (Blame Rainbows, lower quality Full Arts compared to BW/XY and the gargantuan set sizes, less so the quality of everything else.) I'd be more than happy to get something from Team Up~Cosmic Eclipse in anything.

Yeah, we're getting to that point where we're going to see a lot more of those earlier sets and it's kind of a bummer to me-especially since it looks like Sun and Moon/Crimson Invasion are going to be the ones we see the most, and those are my two least favorite Sun and Moon Sets. (Admittedly half the reason I dislike SM Base is because it had the worst Booster Box I ever opened, it turned me off from opening packs for years).

It's 100% personal preference, I agree. And I know that people were sick of Evolutions because they had too much of it-which is completely valid. I don't mind as much considering I'm missing a handful of it and I'm after the master set of it, but I get why it doesn't work for some people.

Rui Teixeira

Aspiring Trainer
Why the products articles always have a lot of responses, and the articles about gameplay and decks generally have none?

Once a game to play, now just an hoarders game

Ilexon

Aspiring Trainer
Why the products articles always have a lot of responses, and the articles about gameplay and decks generally have none?

Probably because the articles in decks require the subscription thing

Ilexon

Aspiring Trainer
Wonder why they’re cutting 2 normal Vs out of this set, first Galarian sirfetchd and now alakazam it’s really weird

Scoop

Literally a sheep

Those require a subscription to view/comment on, which the majority of the people commenting likely don't have. Nonetheless, the TCG's competitive side is very active, more than it has been when I started out at least, and often you'll see people commenting on the viability of any new card that gets revealed. We just haven't had anything new revealed in a hot minute. Also, I do hope you don't consider collecting merely hoarding...

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun

BRUH

Golden ultra ball

(and gold switch)

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Secret Rare Psychic and Metal energy.
There is no pack that's "worth" opening, just like it's never "worth" it to gamble. Evolutions is the only (recent) exception, because people genuinely open it for nostalgia and not just the cards themselves, which is why it started going up in price quite a while ago.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Secret Rare Psychic and Metal energy.
BRUH

Golden ultra ball

(and gold switch)
Okay, I should have phrased it better. These cards don't personally appeal to me. I get they do to other people. But because Sun and Moon base doesn't have anything to offer to me anymore, I don't have a desire for it. That's all I was trying to get at, sorry for not wording everything right. I edited my initial post to make it more clear.

Granted, at the end of the day, I don't really care as much as it looks. I don't even really open boxes anymore anyways, I'm faithful to buying singles-the only exception is if I find Hidden Fates. I think there in general needs to be a sort of revamp to pack structure to make regular old box sets be more "worth" opening. But that's another story for another day.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Very cool, Base Sun and Moon isn't amazing but I'll take it over Evolutions any day. For those who liķe Evo, there's always those Kanto Powers boxes that come out in a week or so