'Shocking Volt Tackle,' Japan's September Set!

Mudkip_Is_God

Aspiring Trainer
I love the FA Talonflame V, SR Memory Capsule, and FA Galarian Sirfetch'd V, but the colors on the SR Obstagoon just do not look good on that card.

Malavok

Aspiring Trainer
I agree with AshCo. Too many rarities. I miss the XY days of just having full arts with a few secret rares. I also think the full art texture quality on English cards was better back then (I think it has gone downhill; Japanese cards are still good). I miss sets like Ancient Origins and Primal Clash. Those were fun to collect and pull rates were just right.

Personally, I at least liked the way rainbow rares looked in S/M (though could’ve done without them) but I do not like the way they look with the glitter now. I think it works with the gold cards but not the rainbow rares. And rainbow rare trainers are just stupid.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Remember back when Fossil set had 62 cards and no full arts, no gold cards, and no rainbow rares?

Yeah, me neither

TheRealBro..

I don't want more Ultra Rares if it just means it's going to be simple palette swaps like Rainbows or an exuberant amount of Gold Items that don't have as much of a collectible appeal as something like a Pokemon or a Supporter.

This. In that aspect Champions Path is actually doing it right. Chase cards are meant to be ''special''.

Yeah, Charizard get's done too much, but still that shiny Zard is what a chase card should be. Now, if all the cards in that set had a shiny counterpart in the secret rare section, the Zard would be nowhere near as cool.

That's the problem with the Rainbow Rares; Remember that silver Dialga from Phantom Forces? Yeah? Of course you do. Because it was a surprise. Remember any specific Rainbow rare other than Charizard? That's my point.

Geodude

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly I'm in that camp now too, as crazy as that sounds from me. Started around the time Rebel Clash came out. Sun and Moon has that consistency, like you said, whereas SwSh's are a huge mixed bag. I like some of them, SwSh base in general was okay, especially the legendaries. As it went on though, it's starting to just get...Weird? Like, pink backgrounds for Inteleon, Rhyperior is in the Rainbow Dimension, and Centiskorch is behind a blue and green background that looks like a wave of water. It bothers me especially since they're capable of having fitting backgrounds. Just look at, I dunno, every single Full Art from BW and XY?? It's so disappointing since I think overall most of the V full arts have better renders than a lot of GX's, but they're not being done any justice.

The basic full arts from Gen 7 have definitely grown on me over the years as I gain more of them and see them all together, it's a cool consistent little part of a binder. (At least if you organize by type. By set? Not so much). Not the best thing out there but definitely not the worst. I don't and never will like them as much as EX's, but I can appreciate what they are. Same with Hidden Fates shinies which despite how hard they are to collect I really do like seeing them all together.
The way I see that is that the artists/designers/whatever probably wanted the backgrounds to be a distinctly different color than the Pokemon, so that the Pokemon are easy to distinguish at a glance.

mrpnut03

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I love that Charmeleon. The way it’s pushing apart the two engine/steam looking machines for some reason encapsulates the pokémon very well to me.

mrpnut03

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Loved that episode!

I don't really play the TCG, but I've got to say that the artwork on many of these cards look phenomenal! Honestly, I see myself collecting some of these cards just for that reason alone.
No doubt! Shout out to the artists. I love the variety of art styles that we get each and every time! The art really caters to different tastes and allows me to appreciate different interpretations of pokémon.