'Shocking Volt Tackle,' Japan's September Set!

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Dusknoir will be very good... Until next rotation. CEC duskull can cheat into dusclops, effectively making it a pseudo stage 1. A very efficient setup for it.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
That Shiftry ability is the funniest thing I've seen this morning. TCPi realized they printed too many "Draw 3 cards." supporters, and that people didn't use them and were probably sick of seeing them, so they made the ability to make every supporter "Draw 3 cards."

You can't even Boss's Order's around it because that effect becomes "Draw 3 cards." xD

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
To bad vileplume ruined the ability to use forest of giant plants id love to use that shifty effectively in expanded

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
What about cards with secondary effects? Tag Team supporters.

Would it be something like "Draw 3 cards. When you play this card, you may discard 3 cards. If you do, Draw 3 Cards?" Lol Joking of course

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I like how the art of this Dusknoir makes it look like the souls that it’s consuming are making it buff. Both of these cards have really good art actually, I’m a giant fan of the Shiftry one too.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
It seems like they're trying out a lot of interesting new Abilities, but if any of em end up overpowered in playtesting the "they have to be in the Active" is the quickest and easiest nerf. I'd like to see them try a different way of balancing these Abilities – e.g. for Shiftry, maybe in exchange for activating the ability when Shiftry is on your bench, either you have to discard a Supporter card from your hand, you have to place damage counters on Shiftry, etc.

I know certain nerfs will work in modified and not expanded, and etc. etc. but it feels like old hat using the same fallback when they try to create an interesting new Ability and need to cap it a little bit. It's been a go-to nerf even back in the WOTC days, but it felt like they were sort of trying to avoid it. It's now back in what feels like a conspicuous over-presence.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
I love Shiftry's ability, very interesting. If only the game haven't devolved into ridiculously overpowered multiprizers with stupid amounts of health/damage output and we could actually consider these fun/different/original stage two's as legit decks... As is, the best we get is "stage two that only sees play because it's designed with the single purpose of being a counter to those multiprizers". *sigh, back to Legacy :) *

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
I love Shiftry's ability, very interesting. If only the game haven't devolved into ridiculously overpowered multiprizers with stupid amounts of health/damage output and we could actually consider these fun/different/original stage two's as legit decks... As is, the best we get is "stage two that only sees play because it's designed with the single purpose of being a counter to those multiprizers". *sigh, back to Legacy :) *

Dusknoir is going straight into control testing. Hitting DCE, 3CE, aurora and the new type special energies (And can be nice in expanded control, hitting dce, dde and more. Also, being psychic, is immune to wobb)

While the effect of shiftry look amazing, in reality, its mediocre. Make all opp supporters a +3 is cool... but its not that strong, as non-draw supporters aren't that big in the format, outside of Mallow and Lana, boss and Yell... and that might be helping more than hindering...

Sadly, neither of these would see play on their own, irregardless of multiprizers. They are too weak compared to other stage 2s that would steal the limelight (Rillaboom, hydreigon, and cinderace to name some) in that scenario...

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Hau funny that Shiftry card is! I Hop it could see some play for Cheren the pain against many decks, but unfortunately it looks to be very low Tier,no?

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Zapdos - another candidate for Ranged Scope. Its basically single-prized Cramorant V, but for LLC. You know, post-rotation. L decks awkward. 4 Geodudes
  • Terrakion - ehh. 160 if there's a stadium in play, actuallynot bad considering Bea and Fighting stuff that relies on being behind on prizes. Actually, it can be a really good tank Pokemon with Buff Padding. 3-4

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
The discard effect of both this Zapdos and the Pikachu VMAX from the same set have me hopeful that we'll see a new Eelektrik. But TCP probably is thinking in terms of Japan's rotation and is probably content with just Turbo Patch + Thunder Mountain {*} + Boltund V, as necessary.

Edit: There's also the new Electrode, which I'd forgotten about. That's probably all the support this and Pikachu VMAX will get in terms of acceleration. Boo.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I love the fact that Zapdos does exactly 160 damage to an opposing Dedenne GX, but Crobat V has 180 and, without ACOG Scope, it's going to survive. Cramorant V did the same before, but this card gets easily loaded by PikaRom and doesn't risk two prizes.
You can't be so blatant, my dudes.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
I love the fact that Zapdos does exactly 160 damage to an opposing Dedenne GX, but Crobat V has 180 and, without ACOG Scope, it's going to survive. Cramorant V did the same before, but this card gets easily loaded by PikaRom and doesn't risk two prizes.
You can't be so blatant, my dudes.
If the attack said to apply Weakness and Resistance to Benched Pokèmon,the ACOG Scope won't be useful in that case.