• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format TEU-VVI Orbeetle VMAX prototype

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
Orbeelte VMAX is a crad I've been anticipating for a while, and though it's not quite what I hoped for, I think I can definitely make it work. Here's a rough list leaning more heavily into spread and movement over raw damage output with Orb.

Pokemon (18):
  • Orbeetle V (3)
Orbeetle V – Grass – HP180
Basic Pokemon

[G] Flatter: 20 damage. You may switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon.

[G][C] Mystery Wave: 50+ damage. This attack does 30 more damage for each Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

When your Pokemon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
  • Orbeetle VMAX (3)
Orbeetle VMAX – Grass – HP310
VMAX Pokemon – Evolves from Orbeetle V

Ability: Wonder Beam
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, you may put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokemon.

[G][C] G-Max Wave: 50+ damage. This attack does 50 more damage for each Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

When your Pokemon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Resistance: none
  • Jirachi CHP (4)
Jirachi – Metal – HP70
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Dream Oracle
Once during your turn, if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, you may look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Put 1 of them into your hand and return the other 1 on top of your deck.

[P][F][M] Amazing Star: Search your deck for up to 7 Basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.

Resistance: Grass (-30)
  • Weezing COE (4)
  • Crobat V (2)
  • Sableye V (2)

Trainer (29):
  • Marnie (3)
  • Professor’s Research (3)
  • Bird Keeper (2)
  • Black Market PS (1)
  • U-turn Board (4)
  • Boss' Orders (2)
  • Switch (4)
  • Quick Ball (4)
  • Roxie (2)
  • Pokemon Communication (4)

Energy (13):
  • Grass (4)
  • Aurora (4)
  • Dark (2)
  • Capture (3)

The theory behind the list is to use Orbeetle VMAX's ability and a ton of switch/retreat-reducing cards to throw multiple Orbeetle in the active and lay a bunch of spread damage down on the opposing side. Jirachi, the Amazing rare from Champions Path, is used as extra draw support with flexible movement thanks to U-turn board, basically allowing for an Acro Bike pivot after an opponent KO's something. I have a Roxie/Weezing engine enabled largely by PokeComm, and a Sabeleye V mode as a nice finisher if my opponent doesn't play a ton of energy, thereby making Orbeetle's attack underpowered.

Poor matchups I can easily spot for this deck as it stands are Centiskorch, Charizard, and Togekiss VMAX, as well as Decidueye and maybe Eternatus VMAX, though I think the nature of the dual modes allows for a pivot between the two that can mitigate a lot of the problems, at least in regards to the first two. Centiskorch and Charizard will like to pile enrgy, so if I'm able to keep my Orbeetle's alive for long enough, I can definitely handle it using those, though I think at least one of them will start to decline if the Gulp Missile Cramorant deck picks up any sort of traction. Decidueye and Togekiss are going to be a coin toss because of the different methods of control they bring to the table, and Etertnatus might be an issue because it benefits from Black Market, which is instrumental in making the more favorable Sableye V mode work.

Good matchups I can see for this deck are Zacian, Coalossal VMAX, and anything that can die to Crazy Claws after 3 turns or less of Orbeetle spread, namely PikaRom if it's still around.

Would love some feedback on alternative partners for Orb, since I don't think Sableye is a top-tier partner for it, though I do think it pairs well with the spread element, and is personally one of my favorite cards ever printed.

Edit 1: Need some non-item switch tech for VikaV matchup, cutting a Prof.'s and a Marnie for 2 Bird Keeper. Now looking for things to cut to add a control element at the suggestion of @JFlo

Last edited:

JFlo

Aspiring Trainer
For some suggestions, Salamence V has an attack that does 30 to all opponents pokemon in play, unfortunately, it costs 3 energy, but it is all colorless so you have tons of options for acceleration. in order to fit him in you could take out one Sableye V and just use the one copy as an end game finisher and take out some of the energy. Best case scenario you get 2 orb abilities off in one turn, a Roxie for full effect, and a Salamence V attack for a total of 70 damage to all pokemon your opponent has in play. since you're using a basic to attack I would suggest toughness cape for added survivability.

Since your not doing enough damage to 2 shot most big pokemon and your opponent only needs to ko 2 orb VMAX I would also suggest somehow implementing some control aspect so your opponent has a slow start.

one last thing I might suggest is bird keeper/Mallow and Lana for the Vikavolt V matchup or any new item lock that gets released.

Add 1-2 of the new Mimikyu from Darkness ablaze as well to stop healing

Last edited by a moderator:

John InCENAroar

@JFlo while I'd like to use Salamence, getting it in and out of the active without using the limited switching resources I'd have in the Vika matchup is a huge concern for me. the underlying idea I had with this deck was fluid motion, and while Vika does dam that up a bit, I'd rather it dam up a 1-retreat pokemon than a 3-retreat one. Salamence is particularly bad for that matchup as well due to the weakness to Vika.

I do like the idea of Heal Jamming Mimikyu and control in here though, what would suggest I add for that. Just a few hammers?

JFlo

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I was going to recommend wait and see hammer since you're already playing 4 Jirachi but that's leaving to rotation... One thing that might work would be yell horn to confuse you and your opponent. It also wakes up Jirachi so you can use u-turn board. Wondrous labyrinth can be used early game since you're not going to be attacking with Sableye until you've built up damage. This is 100% a deck archetype I'm going to be using a ton when it releases so I will update things I think would pair well with orb as I create my prototypes.

John InCENAroar

I'm not playing the TEU Jirachi though, I'm playing the one with the ability that's very similar to UNB Pidgeotto. If I were, I think that Yell Horn to remove sleep is nice tech I hadn't considered, but I should be able to just use the U-Turn Board anyway since there's no adverse effect that disables it that way, though it admittedly doesn't dig as much as the one from TEU. They have their ups and downs, it'll be worth experimenting with.