2020 Holiday Set Confirmed, Includes Missing Sun & Moon Cards!

MechaMegaMetagross

Aspiring Trainer
There is no mention if gold tag tean cards or amzing rares. Wonder if they not in set

This is purely speculation. I think this set will have a sought after subset, like Hidden Fates had Shiny Vault (this isn’t a crazy guess considering it’s a smaller set). The amazing rares will be a part of that subset. As for the Gold GX cards, I’m gonna say they’ll have their own “best of SM” box like they did a year later for XY, and the gold cards will fill the numerous promo spots.

I’m excited to get the ETB for Champions Path, and I might snag that SM box if it turns out to exist.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Hatterene V - ehh?! Reliant on Ear-Ringing Bell. If we have decent P energy accel, plus, easiest way to plant Confusion turn 1, that would make it viable. 3 Geodudes
  • Machamp - ehh?! Ngl the first atk could be a good atk... if it wasn't for a stage 2, and how we can play Machamp if both its pre-evos aren't standard legal? 2-3

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
  • Hatterene V - ehh?! Reliant on Ear-Ringing Bell. If we have decent P energy accel, plus, easiest way to plant Confusion turn 1, that would make it viable. 3 Geodudes
  • Machamp - ehh?! Ngl the first atk could be a good atk... if it wasn't for a stage 2, and how we can play Machamp if both its pre-evos aren't standard legal? 2-3
lol team yell horn

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Japanese Marnie Box:
Marnie card box, Marnie deck box, Marnie sleeves and a Marnie coin.

If the playmat just features Morpeko and Grimmsnarl, I don't think they realized the purpose of a "Marnie" box...

Galar Aviad

Aspiring Trainer
What is so special about this set, other than maybe Charizard? Last time with Hidden Fates we had shinies, so what's so special about this one?

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Pre-order prices for the Charizard box have skyrocketed on eBay already. Gets yours now quick.
5 bucks over retail not really sky rocketing. It take til next year fir prices to be high. I could get hidden fates eyb so easly. I opened over 10 in first month it was out. I regret it. Cuz over time they worth 3 times. I git a case coming for this set of eyb paid under retail

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
What is so special about this set, other than maybe Charizard? Last time with Hidden Fates we had shinies, so what's so special about this one?

We still don't fully know what the secret rares could potentially be and if any mini subset will exist.
5 bucks over retail not really sky rocketing. It take til next year fir prices to be high. I could get hidden fates eyb so easly. I opened over 10 in first month it was out. I regret it. Cuz over time they worth 3 times. I git a case coming for this set of eyb paid under retail

Retail is $50. Lowest on eBay at the moment is $65. That's 5 over the msrp. Could keep going higher.

Just out of curiosity, how many etb make up a case?

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
This is purely speculation. I think this set will have a sought after subset, like Hidden Fates had Shiny Vault (this isn’t a crazy guess considering it’s a smaller set). The amazing rares will be a part of that subset. As for the Gold GX cards, I’m gonna say they’ll have their own “best of SM” box like they did a year later for XY, and the gold cards will fill the numerous promo spots.

I’m excited to get the ETB for Champions Path, and I might snag that SM box if it turns out to exist.

Genuinely doubt they are going to hold back on new cards until they feel comfortable making a subset like Shiny Vault that was only done because their release schedule in the SM era was terrible.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
If I'm not mistaken, the latest Japanese set had a guaranteed Foil Rare in every pack. These kind of sets are released in the West as smaller subsets, without booster boxes.

FrozenLionheart

Aspiring Trainer
Are you sure that the Marnie special collection isnt this year's super premium collection as what you listed when the stuff was announced was V box on the 23rd (we get 2) and then the premium collection/super premium collection everything else matches the description of the product 2 pins/promos, 8 packs and the only thing we can't see is a playmat and it literally says premium collection on the box, granted Europe will continue to get ripped off, still annoyed with the Eternatus premium collection we lose out on the coin which doesn't make much difference in terms of space (and all contents is the same) but TPCI continue to mess us over and we have to pay 10% more on top because they won't print anything outside the US....

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Japanese Marnie Box:
Marnie card box, Marnie deck box, Marnie sleeves and a Marnie coin.

If the playmat just features Morpeko and Grimmsnarl, I don't think they realized the purpose of a "Marnie" box...
Honestly, I would bet the playmat does only feature Morpeko and Grimmsnarl. And thank goodness I'm not the only one that saw the disconnect in this set and its products. If we look at the previous holiday/special sets...

Generations: Focused on Gen 1 to celebrate the 20th anniversary; also happened to have the Radiant Collection subset.
Shining Legends: Focus was on the shiny legendary Pokemon in the set.
Dragon Majesty: Had a lot of Dragon Pokemon and Dragon support.
Hidden Fates: Generations Part 2, for some reason, as a dumping ground to add cards from the Japanese GX decks. But also focused on the fact that it had a ton of shiny Pokemon in its Shiny Vault subset.
Champions Path???: "Trainers will 'recreate' their journey through the Galar region by collecting pins featuring Gym logos and foil cards representing the partner Pokemon of each Gym Leader." And as far as we know, the set also seems to be a dumping ground comprised of leftover cards from previous sets and the recent Japanese V decks. No mention of a subset.

Sooo... The focus of this set is not the set itself, but the pin and the promo card of a Pokemon that a Gym Leader uses? I mean, I guess they're trying something different, but that kind of makes the actual set not so special. There seems to be little correlation between the products and the set itself. And as for Marnie, the contents of the box only seems to related to her in the sense that she has a Morpeko and a Grimmsnarl. Once you throw away or recycle the cardboard box, what do you have left that actually features Marnie, the character that the box is named after? (Maybe the playmat? Unless it also focuses on Morpeko and Grimmsnarl.)

I know this usually would require a Japanese set to have released beforehand, and I'm just brainstorming, but what if some of the Pokemon cards actually featured the Gym Leaders in the artwork, similar to cards that were in Cosmic Eclipse? That would tie the set into the products and the set's theme more. If you want to focus on the Gym Leaders, then focus on the Gym Leaders.

Me personally, I just don't care about pins... I have drawer full of them from previous products. I know plenty of people like them, though. The promos don't seem to be that special, so that only leaves the cards in the set. I was hoping that the Amazing Rares would be in this set. And while it's neither confirmed nor denied that there will be a subset with or without Amazing Rares, right now, it's looking like I'm only interested in the Gardevoir and Alcremie cards. A bit disappointing, but I suppose more information will come out later.

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Wow, I really... don’t care. I’ve already kinda been that way on most of Gen 8’s TCG, maybe I’m burned out or something, but this set just doesn’t appeal to me at all. The only thing that’s been interesting to me is seeing the rest of the stuff from Tag All Stars come out because there’s some really good art in there that shouldn’t be stuck in Japan exclusively, especially if BoXY’s full arts came out in 2017. I guess I can hope for a Sun And Moon premium trainers box or something along those lines (if it’s already not happening, I’m out of the loop).

I think the other thing that doesn’t do it for me is that this set just kinda feels sorta thrown together. Like “hey, we’ve gotta make a holiday set!! Uhh,!let’s take some cards we haven’t released yet and make it a Gym Leader type thing!” To where it’s just kind of a tribute to some characters I don’t care about in the slightest. The only real thing that’s cool is the full art charizard being in the ETB. I’ll pick one up for that and a chance for the RR vmax if that’s in the set, but otherwise... There’s not really anything interesting here. It’s just more basic ultra rates like Dragon Majesty. There’s not really anything “special” to go after given this being a special set, on the same plane as SL and HF (which I liked, despite the latter being a pain to collect).

Maybe it’s just my disdain for SwSh talking though. I am just a grumpy old fart who doesn’t like the direction the franchise has been going in in almost every sense after all, lol.

FrozenLionheart

Aspiring Trainer
Yes it is, my mistake! Also the story was updated to include the European version.

No worries just wanted to be on the double safe side, honestly pleased they are doing something else these products are as a whole way too expensive for their own good, hell I skipped hidden fates and dragon majesty altogether in terms of buying product, bought the articuno zapdos and moltres GX ETB promo and the Rayquaza card holder (which sadly one of the pins snapped in transit to me and the seller allowed me to keep it and gave me a full refund) and after the mess that was the latter its nice to see them at least move in a different direction, I have pre-ordered the ETB loving the colouration/ the dice and well getting a promo I never expected to release here, and the fact it seems they've foiled the ETB box itself is a nice touch.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Maybe it’s just my disdain for SwSh talking though. I am just a grumpy old fart who doesn’t like the direction the franchise has been going in in almost every sense after all, lol.
I was wondering that about myself too. lol Clearly, others will enjoy these products, and that's fine. :) And although I haven't bothered with collecting the SwSh sets, I was looking forward to this one, especially with the possibility of including Amazing Rares in it. But I just find the theme to be confused and the set to be average with current information. Maybe there'll be better news that will interest us later! But I think it's another pass for me; just buying any singles I might want. And then after typing my wall of text earlier, I wondered if I was becoming an old fart that doesn't like the new-fangled things. lol I didn't like how the SwSh was handled, I haven't been liking the direction of the TCG from a collector's standpoint, I was nonplussed by Isle of Armor, now this... I still very much like Pokemon as a whole... but is the new stuff just not for me??? Ha ha. I think I just need to come to terms with that.

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
If it's any consolation to any of you, I feel that the only way to make these Gym Holiday Packs more special would be to either include the trainer's name on the text (Misty's Gyarados, etc) or GL & E4 (Luxray GL LVX, Garchomp C, etc). We haven't had cards like those in years. Sure, we've had cards with the Plasma symbol etc, but not like Trainer's names on them (or Dark Dragonite, Light Dragonair, etc).