Discussion BBlowns Help (Dragapult and consistiency.)

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone, TES here.
So as everyone knows, the player's cup is coming up shortly and I am planning on playing Baby Blowns for the event (only deck i feel confortable with atm.)

However I am experiencing issues in particular matchups and bricking.

I believe the bricking side of things is just ptcgo things because i tend to brick a bunch of games and then hit the nuts in another bunch of games, my list so far is also quite optimal (Based on Andrew Mahone's recent list.) When I say bricking I mean opening hand bricking (not after marnie or stamps.) that mean it takes too long to set up, or i just get donked.

However, one matchup i tend to struggle with is against Dragapult. I understand that this matchup is already not in BBlowns favour, however it almost seems like an autoloss. Dragapult just seems to be able
to shut down my set up through the combination of swell and KOing my jirachi's. You also cannot play down oricorio because a Max Phantom 130 and 50 ping can easily KO it. Some dragapult decks also play the Scoop Up Block Mr.Mime which introduces many issues there.

I have asked these questions before and I unfortunately seem to get answers such as "just don't dead draw" , or "bblowns is just bad, don't play it." So what strategies or cards can I play that improve consistiency and the dragapult matchup. If you want to discuss about this easier here's a discord group you could join.
https://discord.gg/N7QFCmr - just @ me there. or DM me, my discord is BokChoy#8936

methanems

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
From what I have seen of Mahone's deck in action, it doesn't "brick" the way you say. His actually is less likely, than others I've seen. Can you post your decklist.

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Cramorant V SSH 155
* 3 Blacephalon UNB 32
* 1 Blacephalon-GX LOT 52
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 195
* 4 Jirachi TEU 99
* 1 Zacian V PR-SW 18
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 1 Mewtwo UNB 75
* 1 Oricorio-GX CEC 95
* 1 Phione CEC 57
* 1 Tapu Fini UNM 53

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Welder UNB 189
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 4 Fiery Flint DRM 60
* 4 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 4 Energy Retrieval SSH 160
* 3 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 3 Switch SSH 183
* 1 Great Catcher CEC 192
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 1 Ultra Space FLI 115
* 1 Heat Factory {*} LOT 178

##Energy - 13

* 13 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

this is the list.
I really like phione for early game aggression and if they try and stall with a one prize attacker (oranguru, mewtwo.) you can phione up something like a jirachi or even a two prizer such as dedenne.
Escape board is also in there as a one off simply because you don't have to dig for a switch or a super scoop up. These resources can be committed to extra stellar wishes in a turn to dig for certain trainers or can be used to consistiently use Mewtwo in a game.

methanems

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I think your deck is in the right place. You haven't really gone that crazy with it. I'd chalk it up to refinements that fit your play style. As you've said, I think the dead draws are characteristic of the deck and that you are playing 1 game with an opponent (and making your judgement based on that). However, if you think of draws from a best of three standpoint, it works itself out, obviously it would be better to brick in game 2, rather than game 1. As you said, I don't think you're going to get different responses. If you are comfortable playing this deck, then you should feel confident in the nature of the gamble that comes with it.

methanems

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The only thing is Hoopa - Evil Admonition. I would run that, maybe instead of Phione. I'm really not a fan of phione right now because that looks like a free prize. You're also probably not going to waste a quickball on it, whereas mewtwo could recycle boss's orders for you. I wouldn't want 70 hp mons loading up a bench with all of the counters that can be thrown around bypassing Mew.

Hoopa is also a good counter for Zacian decks.

The more I look at the deck, I think the escape board doesn't make sense and you should think about 4 scoop up net. My reasoning is that scoop up is much more valuable for both, mewtwo and jirachi, whereas escape board is not. If you didn't have mewtwo, then I think an escape board would be fine. Remember you want to increase your probability of drawing valuable cards each draw. If you drop a mewtwo and want to pick him up for whatever reason and you draw an escape board, then what.

I think the reality of the deck is that you can't make it a 32 feature swiss army knife, when it really sits around a blade and can opener combo.

Last edited:

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Agree with methanems - don't try to make it a super counter deck. Blowns does best when it's not complicated and just gets what it needs quickly and efficiently. Honestly, I don't love the idea of having nearly so many counter Pokémon - I don't think I've ever run more than 12 Pokémon in a Blowns deck, and while I certainly wouldn't suggest I'm better at deckbuilding than Andrew Mahone, it seems hard to manage; perhaps as a less skilled player simpler is better.

Honestly, that's why I love blowns - I'm not a highly skilled player, I'm decent, but I don't have the time to learn all of the ideal plays in every situation. Blowns has a straightforward play style - so perhaps try simplifying it some. My nine year old son plays blowns, and does very well with it, largely for that reason. Simple deck with simple playstyle. If I added all of these options to it, it would be much harder to make the right choice at the right time.

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for all the help, i decided to go streamlined over consistency, i like the escape board because its essentially another switch, which is more versatile in general.