Finished Mafia LXI: Forest Fire: Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Forest Fire
Every year, starting on the summer solstice, the forest animals convene for their annual council. The scene is a serene grove, where each of the delegates gain their own oak tree for lodging, the same tree that their ancestors had stayed in for centuries.
But this year, something was different. A group of humans had developed plans to cut down the forest, and the council had taken a desperate tone as they tried to formulate a plan to prevent the loss of their homes.
There were ten animals on the council, all representing their species: the beaver, the squirrel, the butterfly, the raccoon, the deer, the porcupine, the cardinal, the owl, the fox, and the rabbit. Yet soon, an event came that would change the foundations of the council itself. The deer began to ask if the humans maybe weren’t so bad after all, exercising a veto on proposals and debating in favor of the humans, before suddenly bursting into flames. When the other animals put the flames out, however, they saw it was no deer after all, but a machine, with wiring and a speaker. The humans were trying to sabotage the council.
They decided that they needed to take action to prevent human interference. Every day, they would choose a member to expel from the council, and although they would be able to stay on the site, they would no longer get voting privileges on any of the council’s plans. That way, maybe they could root out the animals that the humans had replaced with spies, ensuing safety for the forest once more.
The humans, however, had other plans. They had already “removed” a few forest animals in order to infiltrate the council and they were not afraid to use violence to pacify this threat.

Welcome to Mafia 61! I’m NP and I’ll be your host for this game! Here’s the general rules and mechanics:​

What are the rules?
  1. Don’t edit or delete your posts, post during the night phase, screenshot anything, or post/like posts after being removed from the game.
  2. Don’t like posts.
  3. Outside Communication is prohibited, except for within the Mafia chat.
  4. There is no specific threshold for activity. If I feel like you’re not posting enough, I will warn you privately. If you still are not posting enough, I will sub you out at my discretion. That being said, I expect on average at least 2 game relevant posts per IRL day (8 per in-game day).
  5. Do not quote any forms of host communication, including your role PM. Copy-pasting a host message without technically quoting it is just as illegal.
  6. Don’t speculate on alignment based on whether a player is online or not.
  7. If multiple players are tied for the highest amount of votes at the end of the day, the elimination will be determined at random. You may choose to vote for there to be no elimination on a day.
  8. To vote, use ##VERB: Player. To unvote, use ##UNVERB: Player.
  9. My word is law.
  10. If you have us any questions about your role or general gameplay questions, feel free to PM me.
  11. Follow all of the standard Pokébeach rules, including those for the Forum Games.

I’m new to mafia or want a reminder, how do I play?
It’s always nice to have new faces around in the game! Here's a guide to the basic mechanics of mafia! This guide teaches you basic terminology and rules, and has links to other games, which can help you learn how to play (also if you’re at all confused by this guide or want to know a bit more of the complexities of the game, feel free to ask me and I can help out).
The basic thing you need to do in a mafia game is simply post your thoughts! Point out posts that you think are suspicious, talk with your fellow players as much as you can, and try to work together to identify and eliminate the mafia. Whenever you see someone else post, try to comment on it or generate content in some other way if you can, as discussion is the only way to get the information needed to tell a good guy from a bad guy. Don't be afraid to post and share all of your thoughts, since it's okay to be wrong, but you'll never be able to win without having enough discussion.
There are two fundamental differences between town and mafia: the mafia knows who the other mafia are, while the town does not know who they are and must try to discover them, and the mafia must try to get the town to eliminate their fellow town members and survive to the end of the game, while the town is trying to eliminate the mafia, with survival not part of their win condition. When trying to find good suspects, the simplest thing to do is look at these qualities, and see who is faking solving the game and playing only for survival.

What’s the setup?
For this game, we will be using the Forest Fire setup. Here’s the rolelist:
6 Town Trees
1 Town Firefighter

vs
2 Mafia Arsonists

A Town Tree is a town-aligned player with no special abilities except that if they are eliminated, they become a tree stump and will still be able to post in the thread, unless they are ignited by an arsonist. Once a town tree is killed and becomes a tree stump, however, they will be unable to vote, and do not count as a number towards town-mafia parity, even though they will still be aligned with the town.
A Town Firefighter is a town-aligned player who can target a player (other than themselves) each night to prevent them from being primed by the Mafia Arsonists. If the Mafia Arsonists tried to prime the targeted player that night, their action will fail.
A Mafia Arsonist is a mafia-aligned player. Each night, as a faction, the mafia must either prime a player or ignite all players that they have primed, killing them and removing their ability to speak in the thread, even if they are a Town Tree. Any player can be primed, even a Town Tree that has been eliminated and become a tree stump, or even the arsonists themselves (if they want to for some reason). If the mafia fail to submit an action, a random non-mafia player will be primed.
Players will not be informed if they have been primed, or if their night actions were successful.

Notably, because it is unclear which players have been primed or not, LYLO/MYLO will not be announced. If at any point there are only three players remaining with a vote, however, votes will be locked.

The following are the exact role PMs that will be sent (i.e. every player will be given one of these exact roles with this exact formatting). That being said, you are not allowed to ever directly quote your role PM under any circumstances, though you may state which role you were given.
You are a Town Tree and you are aligned with the Town.
If you are ever eliminated, you will still be able to post during the day phase, though you will be unable to vote. If you are ignited by the Mafia Arsonists, however, you will die and lose your ability to speak in the thread.
Win Condition: Eliminate all members of the Mafia.
You are a Town Firefighter and you are aligned with the Town.
Once a night, you may PM me ##EXTINGUISH: [Player] (that player must be someone other than yourself). If the the Mafia Arsonists tried to prime that player during that night, that player will not be primed.
Win Condition: Eliminate all members of the Mafia.
You are a Mafia Arsonist and you are aligned with the Mafia.
Your partner is [Partner], and you may speak with them in the Mafia Discord channel.
Once a night, your team must either prime a player or ignite all players that they have primed, killing them and removing their ability to speak in the thread, even if they are a Town Tree. Any player can be primed, even a Town Tree that has been eliminated and become a tree stump, or even the arsonists yourselves. If your team fails to submit an action, a random non-mafia player will be primed.
Win Condition: Achieve parity with the Town by having the number of living Mafia-aligned players be greater than or equal to the number of Town-aligned players that are still able to vote.

This game has room for nine players. All players after the player count is reached will be subs. Once nine players have signed up, the game will begin the next day. To sign up, comment that you want to play and confirm that you understand the setup, are aware of this game's activity requirements, and are aware that you cannot quote any host communication in this game.
Day phases in this game will last 96 hours, while Night phases will last 24 hours.

Players:
1. Vom
2. Ephemera
3. scattered mind
4. Celever
5. MegaPod_781
6. Jadethepokemontrainer
7. bbninjas
8. Amici
9. Fiery_Lugia

Good luck!

Last edited:

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
In! I solemnly swear I have read the above terms and conditions.

NinjaPenguin

Oh there's one other thing I wanted to mention:
Other sites have begun to start using words like "eliminate" and/or "exile" to replace the term "lynch" (here's a post from MU talking about why they made this decision, for reference). I believe that this is a good change, and for the purposes of this game, I will be using the term "eliminate" ("elim" for short), and I encourage us as a site to switch to doing so too, but I will not being enforcing this or anything.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Forest game, huh – but DVC is the whole point of dying though! As town you can keep speculating (well, I guess as a treestump you can still do that), but what about scum? Memeing on the dead villagers in DVC is half the fun :p

lol I'm in anyway though

edit: NP you showed me this setup weeks ago I think I know how it works. You also introduced me to playing on MU, so I can definitely promise activity. For the third thing - I’m fairly sure I know how this works by now o_O

Last edited:

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Oh there's one other thing I wanted to mention:
Other sites have begun to start using words like "eliminate" and/or "exile" to replace the term "lynch" (here's a post from MU talking about why they made this decision, for reference). I believe that this is a good change, and for the purposes of this game, I will be using the term "eliminate" ("elim" for short), and I encourage us as a site to switch to doing so too, but I will not being enforcing this or anything.
Completely agree with this change, I particularly like the suggestion they made about using "yeet" instead. No but seriously, this would be a good change in my opinion and will definitely look into it.

Celever

Wheeeee~
NP told me to sign up :L

To sign up, comment that you want to play and confirm that you understand the setup, are aware of this game's activity requirements, and are aware that you cannot quote any host communication in this game.

Last edited:

MegaPod_781

Bug Thug
You know what? It’s been awhile since I’ve played a mafia game, let alone one on here. Sign me up!

I hereby declare that I have a desire to participate in this game; that I fully comprehend the distribution and nature of the game’s roles, as well as the expectation that I communicate with my fellow players on a regular basis as I either speak for the trees, protect the trees from devastation, or ignite all trees within our nation (as my role determines); and that I am cognizant of the fact that any information provided to me in an official private conversation by the game’s host may only be restated in the public thread by myself via paraphrasing or not at all, lest I be subject to the just and unforgiving consequences.

NinjaPenguin

You know what? It’s been awhile since I’ve played a mafia game, let alone one on here. Sign me up!

I hereby declare that I have a desire to participate in this game; that I fully comprehend the distribution and nature of the game’s roles, as well as the expectation that I communicate with my fellow players on a regular basis as I either speak for the trees, protect the trees from devastation, or ignite all trees within our nation (as my role determines); and that I am cognizant of the fact that any information provided to me in an official private conversation by the game’s host may only be restated in the public thread by myself via paraphrasing or not at all, lest I be subject to the just and unforgiving consequences.
Welcome back Mega! Glad to have you around! :D

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Slidin' in to claim my spot.

I do solemnly hereby declare that I solemnly swear to hereby declare I have sworn to that I have an interest in playing this game of Mafia, that this particular set up does, in fact, make sense to me, that I understand and will adhere to the games activity requirements, that I cannot and never shall commit the act of quoting or posting a role or any communication from our wonderful host NinjaPenguin, and that yes, this is in fact entirely one long run-on sentence.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I hereby declare nothing, except that I would like to /join, would like to not be mafia, and would like Celever to not get himself smited for quoting the host, for once. May Karen rest in pieces. Also yes I understand the setup, activity requirements and rules.

ZvbJKUk.jpg

61 games of werewolf that’s insane and some of the oldies are still here I’m in awe.

im not in I just wanted to revel in this for a minute y’all rock

NinjaPenguin

Game Start
We have nine players, so the game will begin! Once you receive your role, please like this post to confirm your role.
Day 1 will begin in 24 hours, on July 12th at 5 PM EST. Do not speak in-thread until then.
From this point forward until the end of the game, do not speak about the game outside the thread to anyone besides me (and to your mafia partner/dead player chat, if applicable) for any reason. Don't refer to the game existing, do not speak about it even with non-players, don't tell someone to get online, etc. Even if you think it's innocuous and will not indicate your alignment, these things can be read into or accidentally give you info you should not have, so just don't talk about the game in any form. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me about them.

Additionally, for this game, I am offering a new player spectator chat! If you are new to mafia and want to get an idea of how it works before playing it yourself with me helping to act as a guide, please join the chat here: https://discord.gg/bDjHHtD

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

All roles have been sent! If you did not receive a role or have any questions about your role, please PM me.

NinjaPenguin

Day 1 Start
The sun rose on the forest council with the animals in disarray, distressed by their discovery about the deer and knowing they desperately had to determine who among them were the imposters sent by the humans. Would they be able to discover the fakes before the humans had dismantled their efforts at resistance? Only time would tell.

Day 1 has started! It will last for 95.25 hours, until July 16th at 5 PM EST.
For Day 1 only, voting will be based on plurality, rather than majority. This means that even if someone achieves a majority of the votes, the day will end at the regularly scheduled deadline, rather than being ended early by a hammer. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes will be eliminated.
You all may now post in the thread.

@Celever still needs to like the confirmation post to confirm that they have received their role.

Status
Not open for further replies.