'World Down' and 'Legendary Heartbeat,' Japan's Summer Sets Introducing Amazing Rares!

Babywinds

Aspiring Trainer
Remember that Fairy is also the Psychic-type in the TCG, and Clefairy is a Fairy-type, and Fairy is weak to Metal :p
In fairness, Fairy is also weak to Poison, which is also Darkness in the TCG, as well as also being resistant to Fighting, like the Psychic type. It's a weird choice in my opinion, but they can do what they want xD

Emerfirek

Aspiring Trainer
What happened to all Psychic types having Dark weakness? (Don't get me wrong, I much prefer this.)
Clefairy has never been Psychic nor Ghost in the core games. They only changed Psychic mons' weakness+resistance to match that of Ghosts. Since Fairies normally resist Dark (and historically throughout their tcg run), it'd be way too inconsistent and outrageous to match them w/ Ghost as well.

But then it was also outrageous to cut them in the first place. And now all of [P] just hits fewer things for weakness (just approx. 33% of all [F] mons).

Last edited:

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Yes I know Clefairy is a Fairy type, however I figured one of the reasons they moved Poison to Darkness (rather than, say, Grass) was just to keep making as many Psychic cards weak to Darkness as possible. I mean heck they even made Crobat weak to Fighting (they got away with it because of Rock, of course) instead of Lightning just to stick with the theme. And RCL Seismitoad is of course weak to Lightning, which is of course inexcusable haha, but it shows their dedication to the pattern.

That being said I went back to RCL/SwSh Fairy cards and they are keeping consistent with the whole "Fairy weak to Metal" thing so my mistake :p

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
A new Psychic-type Clefairy?! That should read a SECOND Psychic-type Clefairy card as Clefairy was last seen on Rebel Clash, AS a Psychic-type.

Clam

Almost decent
Because it has a strong effect on a coinflip my opponents will ALWAYS get a heads if I have a 3 prizer on the active and get a revenge kill and then me on the other hand (if I even use the card) will probably only flip heads against jirachis.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Raikou Rainbow - if we have Vikavolt in the format, maybe, just maybe. 3 Geodudes
  • Zekrom - ehh 1.Expensive 2. Not worth for its expensiveness. 3-4
Metagross - free retreat in all as a Stage 2. 2-3

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Marshadow GX can use these attacks and it gets focus sash. Maybe these amazing Rares could be good in expanded. Especially since the Raiku has access to Vikavolt. The others have access to the Ho-Oh engine.

Last edited:

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
Just like someone else said that the Amazing rares are similar to Crystal and Shining cards from 2000/2001, it does seem that way with the exception that these won't be secret rares. That would've been awesome as secret chase cards. Now, throw in an Amazing Charizard and make these secret rares in the US and you'll have a company making millions and collectors pissed off lol

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I think that Raikou is absolutely worth considering - unless your opponent plays absolutely zero 1-prize Pokemon, it's a KO per turn with added damage on their front Pokemon. Vikavolt engine makes it easy to load, there's a bunch of overpowered electric support in the format, it absolutely annihilates Blacephalon and Dolls - the pieces are there, it's just a question of whether it'll all come together.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I want to like Amazing Raikou. It reads like it's on the cusp of great potential. a 1-Prize Pokemon that can put 240 damage ON THE BOARD for nothing more than a wonky attack cost (no "damage to all your Pokemon", no self-mill, no coin toss, no extra conditions. Just "if you have the energy, it works").

Vikavolt decks or Rayquaza-GX seems like the go-to for it. My biggest concern is that, Vikavolt has consistency issues, but can otherwise fulfill 2/3 the attack cost once it's going.
And Rayquaza-GX is usually all about blowing up whatever is in front of it.

So it begs the question: what is Raikou useful for in either of these decks exactly? 120 damage up front these days isn't much. An additional 120 damage to the bench CAN be good sniping off weird stuff, but for the most part, you're either taking pot shots at 2-3 Prize Pokemon or sniping off easy Basics and getting 1 Prize anyway. Unless the deck caters toward that sort of Energy acceleration, it seems it can only set up math for future KOs, or it's used as a late game finisher if you set damage up beforehand. But it also comes off as a heavy-handed way of pulling off a niche-game finisher. Vikavolt and Rayquaza-GX were all about blowing up whatever is Active. Amazing Raikou goes against this.

Additionally, there's the "it can snipe Shaymin-EX", but I'm of the belief that a banlist change is more effective against Shaymin-EX. If you don't think Shaymin-EX will get banned, fight me.

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Remember when you had to put in effort to auto-paralyze? Magnezone Lv.X, anyone? Now you just slap on some energy and unga bunga.

Nyora

A Cat
I want to like Amazing Raikou. It reads like it's on the cusp of great potential. a 1-Prize Pokemon that can put 240 damage ON THE BOARD for nothing more than a wonky attack cost (no "damage to all your Pokemon", no self-mill, no coin toss, no extra conditions. Just "if you have the energy, it works").

Vikavolt decks or Rayquaza-GX seems like the go-to for it. My biggest concern is that, Vikavolt has consistency issues, but can otherwise fulfill 2/3 the attack cost once it's going.
And Rayquaza-GX is usually all about blowing up whatever is in front of it.

So it begs the question: what is Raikou useful for in either of these decks exactly? 120 damage up front these days isn't much. An additional 120 damage to the bench CAN be good sniping off weird stuff, but for the most part, you're either taking pot shots at 2-3 Prize Pokemon or sniping off easy Basics and getting 1 Prize anyway. Unless the deck caters toward that sort of Energy acceleration, it seems it can only set up math for future KOs, or it's used as a late game finisher if you set damage up beforehand. But it also comes off as a heavy-handed way of pulling off a niche-game finisher. Vikavolt and Rayquaza-GX were all about blowing up whatever is Active. Amazing Raikou goes against this.

Additionally, there's the "it can snipe Shaymin-EX", but I'm of the belief that a banlist change is more effective against Shaymin-EX. If you don't think Shaymin-EX will get banned, fight me.
I think AR Raikou is pretty good w/out Vikavolt. Turbo Patch, Max Elixir, and Tapu Koko Prism Star honestly feel like enough to set 1-2 up T1, maybe even a third, which honestly should be all you need, given Shaymin-EX exists in the format. You always have manual attachments too, so a fourth and given pokemon retrieval, a possible 5th. Cards like FFB and Electropower also let you hit higher numbers too, which fix some 2HKOs. A lot of decks with thiccer Pokemon like TTs and VMAXs don't play Mew/Mr. Mime/Machoke, so worrying about not being able to hit the bench shouldn't be a huge problem. Of course, if they do, that's a big oof. Play a tech Silent Lab is all I can say there (except for Machoke).
I don't think Shaymin-EX will get banned. They don't normally, if ever, ban cards for making the format too fast. In the end, it all depends on how fast they want their format to be. EVEN IF Shaymin-EX is banned, give it like 5 sets from now and we'll just be back here with maybe say, a Lumineon V that while is much needed in standard for the speed it brings, would be """"busted"""" in expanded due to it's speed, especially when combined with X card. So then they'll ban that, or no, would they ban the card that "makes it busted"? Nobody had complaints about Shaymin-EX before Scoop Up Net, just saying. I don't think either card deserves a ban, since I think currently their only thing with bans is "do you at least get 1 turn to play the deck?" and NO, donk shouldn't be included in this. Even then, I still honestly feel banning Latios-EX or Pheromosa-GX works better. But the reason why I'm saying don't include donk when talking about Shaymin-EX/Scoop Up Net ban is because it's not exactly unviable, but definitely not a deck I'd ever bring to a bigger tournament, unless I'm expecting like ONLY Roweggs or something. Sure in bo1s this deck rocks, but since when will they ban a card for not being fun to play with with your friendos, lol.

Another thing to think about. A lot of the T1 hand lock strategies wouldn't be NEARLY as good without Shaymin-EX. Not to say you couldn't do it, but definitely not as good as they were.

Alex Leblanc

Aspiring Trainer
I'm sure these will be good at one point. We just need the right acceleration. Especially Rayquaza... the ability to hit 320 with 4 energy seems nutty.