Activity Buff-a-Mon #5: Floatzel

Turtwig

Retired retired Mod. Jovimohnaeliackvid.
buff_torchic_in_pokemon.png

Buff-A-Mon #1: Flygon

Hello, PokéBeach! Is your favorite Pokémon increasingly unviable, stuck in the depths of RU or worse? Is it overshadowed by Pokémon with higher stats, better movepools, or a more cohesive typing? Once a week, we’re looking to spice up the VG section with some theorizing: how would you buff a Pokémon?

Guidelines:
You have several options to “buff” a Pokémon, including (but not limited to):
  • Stats
  • Typing
  • Movepool (you can also create your own moves)
  • Ability

If you’re buffing a Pokémon’s stats, try not to add more than ~30 to its base stat total (BST) for the sake of keeping things realistic. Add too much and just give it a megastone instead. Also, give an explanation as to why the stat(s) should be buffed.

Changing a Pokémon’s typing has many implications--think about how it would affect the metagame, entry hazards and 2x/4x weaknesses, but most importantly the lore of that Pokémon. We want to keep ideas practical!

Granting a Pokémon much-needed moves can make it more effective in the metagame, but they need to make sense and not be too broken (which is probably why Garchomp doesn’t have Dragon Dance, for instance). You’re free to make your own signature moves for each week’s Pokémon, but keep it realistic!

Finally, abilities play an important part of every game. Like typing, keep in mind the Pokémon you’re changing and give it abilities you think are appropriate. You’re free to keep them the same, too!

Also, feel free to include a sample set you think would look good in the meta!

Here's a format you can use as a template:

Pokémon
Type
Ability
BST (original number → new)(+increment)
HP (original number → new)
ATK (original number → new)
DEF (original number → new)
SPA (original number → new)
SPD (original number → new)
SPE (original number → new)​
Replace the notes in parentheses with old BST numbers and show an arrow to the increased/decreased amounts. Also state the increment so we can see how much was added! You can also use your own format, whatever's easier.

After the visual addition, please give short explanations to your reasoning, impact on the game/metagame, how broken it is/isn't, etc.

This week, we’re looking at:

250px-330Flygon.png

Dex No. 330 Flygon.
Flygon is a popular Pokémon, making it in the Top 30 in Pokémon’s official 2020 contest. In competitive, Flygon started in OU in generations 3 and 4, but after Unova’s power creep it has quickly fallen to RU (though UU in the restricted Sword/Shield metagame). Though Flygon follows the same pattern with a late final evolution, it does not have a similar BST (only 520) to pseudo-legends like Salamence or Garchomp, which have 80+ more points. Its attack and speed states (100) are only average in the power-creep metagame, meaning even scarf sets often aren't fast (or especially strong) enough to keep up with the big kids.

How would you buff Flygon? Here’s my personal idea down below:
Flygon
Ground/Dragon
Ability: Levitate
BST 520→ 550
HP 80
ATK 100→ 110 (+10)
DEF 80
SPA 80
SPD 80
SPE 100→ 120 (+20)​

Flygon’s main issue for me is that its best stats are only...okay. Flygon looks faster than most dragons to me, so I wanted to boost its speed to a more competitive level. The attack boost also allows it to have more power without becoming overbearing, and since it’s now faster it works well with a Choice Band.
I left the typing and ability the same because they give Flygon some defensive utility. Electric/Ground switch-ins, immunity to Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web, and some decent defensive resistances.

In a competitive setting, I think this Flygon might be able to abuse Dragon Dance better. Once boost and it’s no longer just speed typing 100-based Scarf Pokémon, it’s outspeeding Greninja, Dragapult, etc.

Flygon @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail / U-turn / Fire Punch

Even with an Adamant nature, after one Dragon Dance, it’s going to outspeed the majority of even Choice Scarfers. The nature therefore offers even more brute force to net KOs with Outrage. I don’t think it’s broken, though, because of the 4x Ice weakness, immunities to both its stabs, and its vulnerability to burn. Outrage/Earthquake are strong STABs, and the last slot is a toss-up. U-turn provides great momentum, but boosting Pokémon are usually saved for mid-late game. Iron Tail is for Clefable and other Fairy-types, while Fire Punch hits Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Life Orb is for power boost, while Lum Berry cures any burn issues + confusion if Flygon fires off enough Outrages.

Flygon @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw / Iron Tail / Fire Punch

This set goes for brute force, so I think Dragon Claw is important as a solid STAB with no drawbacks. The reasoning for the other moves are similar to the setup set! Jolly is absolutely necessary in order to outspeed Lati@s and other fast answers since there isn't a boosting move.

Also, leave recommendations for next week's review in the comments below! Don't forget to like and subscribe.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Flygon
Ground/Bug
Levitate/Sand Stream
BST 520 → 540(+540)
HP 80
ATK 100
DEF 80
SPA 80
SPD 80
SPE 100 → 120 (+20)

The idea begind all these changes is to turn Flygon to the first speedy Sand Stream pivot user with STAB U-Turn.
Changed the type to Bug to give U-Turn a boost + Flygon has been long time argued to have connection to the Bug type thanks to its design.
Sand Stream instead of Levitate (or in addition to as hidden ability) leaves Flygon vulnrable to Earthquake, but the point of Flygon is to get a Sand Stream and escape with U-Turn so it's not that bad. Increased speed to make it fast enough to be a great pivot.

Example set:

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Turtwig

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Flygon also has First Impression already, so that would also hit hard with a Band (though you'd need to switch out after). It would have serious potential against revenge killers with that priority though, which might make it worth it in a pinch.

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Also, leave recommendations for next week's review in the comments below! Don't forget to like and subscribe.
I love the idea of "Buff-A-Mon"! It is very creative and really shines a new light on competitively underused Pokemon.

I think Bidoof needs a huge buff! (No)

In all seriousness, I really think Mamoswine needs a buff. Competitively, it would be great if it had halfway decent defenses or speed, but it is further let down by the fact that it is half ice type, one of the worst defensive types.

Mamoswine also comes from the same game as Abomasnow, who is a Stage 1 with 594 BST, compared to Mamoswine with 530.

Mamoswine:
BST: 530 < 550
HP: 110
Attack: 130
Defense: 80 < 100
Sp. Attack: 70
Sp. Defense: 60 < 80
Speed: 80 < 60

Buffing Mamoswine's defenses would turn it into what it should be; a tanky physical sweeper. Increasing defenses allows Mamoswine to take less damage, of course leading to not being as easy to KO. A fair tradeoff to this would be its speed, as its speed doesn't often matter when it is just trying to be a tank.

Sample Set:

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 130 Def / 130 SpD / 252 Atk
Careful Nature
- Hail
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Stone Edge

You could replace Snow Cloak with Thick Fat if you want, as it solves the glaring weakness that is Fire type.

Defiant could be a good ability against status Pokes, but really I can't see a better ability for Mamoswine (other than the ones it has) than Fur Coat.

Sorry that it isn't about Flygon, but I just thought I should share my opinion here.

Last edited:

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I really like Flygon and really wanted it to have a Mega Evolution. I am in favor of having its hidden ability be Sand Stream because it lives in the dessert and its Pokedex entry even mentions it bringing sand. This would enable it to be part of a sand team and be faster than other sand setters. I would buff its speed by 20 and attack by 10 as well because this gives it the ability to outpace other dragons that are more fierce such as Garchomp and Salamence.

Turtwig

Do you think giving Flygon Sand Stream would significantly boost its usage? We haven't had a fast sand setter yet (Tyranitar, Gigalith, Hippowdon). The first two get the special defense boost and hippo is already so bulky. Flygon also doesn't get Stealth Rock, but it does get Defog. Maybe a lead support set with U-turn/Defog/Earthquake/Outrage (or coverage if Bug/Ground)? That could act as a decent setter and hazard remover with its speed.

The ability doesn't do much for it offensively other than offer chip on bulky non-Rock/Ground/Steel-types. If a sweeper was wanted, Levitate would probably be more preferred since it gets helpful immunities (Ground-type switches, hazards).

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Do you think giving Flygon Sand Stream would significantly boost its usage? We haven't had a fast sand setter yet (Tyranitar, Gigalith, Hippowdon). The first two get the special defense boost and hippo is already so bulky. Flygon also doesn't get Stealth Rock, but it does get Defog. Maybe a lead support set with U-turn/Defog/Earthquake/Outrage (or coverage if Bug/Ground)? That could act as a decent setter and hazard remover with its speed.

The ability doesn't do much for it offensively other than offer chip on bulky non-Rock/Ground/Steel-types. If a sweeper was wanted, Levitate would probably be more preferred since it gets helpful immunities (Ground-type switches, hazards).

That would be a great shake for the meta as Flygon can work with another sand setter- something that other sand setters don't do because they share similar role as bulky defensive attackers.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Alright everyone, so now that we had our week to buff Flygon and making it the legendary bug dragon ground thing it deserves to be, let's look at a much weaker Pokemon and a greater challenge to buff:

Lanturn

This NU Pokemon needs a great deal of help. But if done correctly the metagame would earn a second good Water/Electric type Pokemon other than Rotom-W.

So let's look at what we got to work here:

LofvQ6J.jpg

Lanturn
Water/Electric
Abilities: Illuminate/Volt Absorb/ Water Absorb
Base Stats:
HP: 125
ATK: 58
DEF: 58
S.ATK: 76
S.DEF: 76
SPE: 67​

Notable moves:

Volt Switch/ Scald / Ice Beam / Heal Bell

Main goal: To not be overshadowed by Rotom-W and serve a good alternative to it. Also to see play in UU and above if possible.
Remember that you cannot increase overall stats above 30.
This time around- no changing in typing!

Discuss!

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Alright everyone, so now that we had our week to buff Flygon and making it the legendary bug dragon ground thing it deserves to be, let's look at a much weaker Pokemon and a greater challenge to buff:

Lanturn

This NU Pokemon needs a great deal of help. But if done correctly the metagame would earn a second good Water/Electric type Pokemon other than Rotom-W.

LofvQ6J.jpg

Lanturn
Water/Electric
Abilities: Illuminate/Volt Absorb/ Water Absorb
Base Stats:
HP: 125
ATK: 58
DEF: 58
S.ATK: 76
S.DEF: 76
SPE: 67​

Notable moves:

Volt Switch/ Scald / Ice Beam / Heal Bell

Main goal: To not be overshadowed by Rotom-W and serve a good alternative to it. Also to see play in UU and above if possible.
Remember that you cannot increase overall stats above 30.
This time around- no changing in typing!

Discuss!
If we're going to try to make Lanturn playable, then it has to actually be able to do some damage. Special Attack should go up 15 and Speed should go up 15. I made this decision because if Lanturn wants to be good in the current meta, it should have at least 90 Special Attack, and I just had to buff its pitiful speed.

Life Orb could give it the power boost it needs as well in a competitive moveset.

EDIT: I agree with King Arceus way more than what I did. A trick room setup would be great with Lanturn! I am surprised I didn't think of that.

Last edited:

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I would actually just boost its special attack by 30 because it could be very viable on a Trick Room team with its low speed.

Lanturn@Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Speed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SP. Atk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

This set aims to dish out damage and is meant to be used under Trick Room. Scald gives the chance of burning physical threats which are naturally more of a threat with Lanturn's lower defense stat. I opted for Thunderbolt over Volt Switch because it would be beneficial to stay in against Dracovish. Ice Beam rounds out coverage. Toxic is for helping deal with walls because even 106 special attack can easily be walled by AV or specially defensive Pokemon.

Turtwig

Fun fact, I actually messed up a spelling bee in school by spelling “lantern” as Lanturn after a HGSS run. Welp...

I would actually keep Lanturn in a slower role as well, but more for the slow Volt Switch momentum. I think a small boost to its Special Attack is fine, 85 allows for ok passive damage in Scald as well and appeases me with better-rounded numbers, but since I want it bulkier I don't think it should be too strong. Here's an idea to boost its bulk:

Lanturn
Water/Electric
Ability: Volt Absorb (best)
BST 460→ 490 (+30)
HP 125
ATK 58
DEF 58 → 70 (+12)
SPA 76 → 85 (+9)
SPD 76 → 85 (+9)
SPE 67

With 125 HP, it's probably going to live more attacks but not necessarily too many since its defenses are still average, and leaving the speed as it is allows for weaknesses to be exploited. I'd also like to suggest Lanturn get a recovery move like Recover so it can properly stall
Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Heal Bell
- Recover

(EV Spread ripped off Smogon) This set would give Lanturn a lot--slow Volt Switch momentum (and an immunity to it), Scald to spread burns and give good passive damage, and then your pick of Toxic (to help wear down opponents and stall with Recover), Thunder Wave (slow opponents and provide momentum for team later), and Heal Bell (status healer) along with recovery.

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
If we're going to try to make Lanturn playable, then it has to actually be able to do some damage. Special Attack should go up 15 and Speed should go up 15. I made this decision because if Lanturn wants to be good in the current meta, it should have at least 90 Special Attack, and I just had to buff its pitiful speed.

Life Orb could give it the power boost it needs as well in a competitive moveset.

EDIT: I agree with King Arceus way more than what I did. A trick room setup would be great with Lanturn! I am surprised I didn't think of that.

Yeah I guess you're right. Looking at its speed the max we can go with it is 97 and that means we cannot boost any other stat. If anything I would make it a bulky Pivot.

Lanturn
Water/Electric
BST 460→ 490 (+30)
HP 125
ATK 58
DEF 58
SPA 76
SPD 76 → 106 (+30)
SPE 67

+ adding the move Recover to its movepool like it was suggested before.

But yeah that thing is hard to make viable. Might have to get a new signature move to actually compete against Rotom-W.
The Trick Room build is great but usually Pokemon who rely on Trick Room don't get too far on the ladder iirc. Though it is the best way to make it really viable so far imo.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
I'm not very good with competitive battling, but if we're gearing Lanturn for a Trick Room team, why not take maybe ~27 from its speed and put it into SpD?
A new signature move could save it, as well as set it up for a Trick Room team better.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
I'm not very good with competitive battling, but if we're gearing Lanturn for a Trick Room team, why not take maybe ~27 from its speed and put it into SpD?
A new signature move could save it, as well as set it up for a Trick Room team better.

Yeah that might be the real thing that can save it for sure, but I think we have an understanding that we can only buff stats, not decrease. Otherwise this challenge will be too easy.

Btw I'm not that good rn either. Haven't played for a long time so I do need to refresh myself. I guess having challenges and competitions here should do the work for a lot of people like me.

Back yeah Lanturn needs a signature move for sure. Has to be something related to its lore or something.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
OK so Lanturn was sure a tough mon to buff. Let's see how the next mon can gain access to OU:

Braviary

This UU Pokemon is what I think should be way up in the ladder so it can meet its true foe Mandibuzz

siCS6Ic.jpg

Braviary
Normal/Flying
Abilities: Defiant/Keen Eye/ Sheer Force
Base Stats:
HP: 100
ATK: 123
DEF: 75
S.ATK: 57
S.DEF: 75
SPE: 80

Notable moves:

Brave Bird/ Bulk Up/ Close Combat/ Roost/ U-Turn

Discuss!​

Turtwig

Nice choice for this week! I remember before Braviary's English name was released everyone called it Wargle. Good times. Meanwhile I named mine American Eagle like the store. A big issue for it is that typing--Normal isn't helping it and the rocks weakness from Flying isn't either. Fighting works with the America/war concept and Braviary already looks like a worthy contender. It also gives STAB Close Combat to boot.

Honestly its stats are already high, I don't want to buff it that much. We can add a little in speed since it is lacking, but tbh Braviary looks like it should be a slower Pokemon. It would probably work great in a Dynamax meta since its defenses are actually not that frail for a sweeper and both its types' max moves boost important stats (atk/spe).

Braviary
Normal/Flying--> Fighting/Flying
Abilities: Defiant/Keen Eye/ Sheer Force
Base Stats:
HP: 100
ATK: 123
DEF: 75
S.ATK: 57
S.DEF: 75
SPE: 80--> 90 (+10)

I'd use a set probably like this:

Braviary (M) @ Choice Band / Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

First three attacks are pretty simple. Strong STAB attacks and momentum. Roost on a choice set is a little odd, but you really don't need much else in terms of coverage (unless you're desperate for like Iron Head). Roost at least lets you recover if you get a chance or lose the item.

Braviary (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost

This set is the standard Braviary set but without the Heavy Duty Boots since rocks are neutral. It allows for more power on better STAB. Bulk Up boosts offenses, but realistically an agility set could work too.

Turtwig

Alright peeps, I have another cool Pokemon to put up for ideas:

tropius.png

Tropius
Grass/Flying
Chlorophyll/Harvest/Solar Power
HP: 99
ATK: 68
DEF: 83
SPA: 72
SPD: 87
SPE: 51

Notable moves:

Leech Seed, Air Slash, uhhh idk Solar Beam?

Who doesn't love a banana-wearing dinosaur plant? Tropius looks awesome
and
comes with food. Unfortunately, that's about where its usefulness stops in competitive.

How would you buff Tropius to do better in competitive?

Ephemera

just a little longer...
I suppose you could go two ways with Tropius – either put all 30 points we're adding into speed and use it in a sun team, or strengthen its Sp. Atk and use Tropius in a Trick Room team.

I am by no means good at competitive, though, so take my idea with a grain of salt!

For the sun team idea - Tropius with Solarbeam and Chlorophyll could work, but 81 base speed (even with the doubled speed in sun) isn't too great.

As for trick room, Tropius's other stats aren't amazing enough to justify its use (plus it's not even that slow).

Ugh, this one is hard.

Last edited by a moderator: