'World Down' and 'Legendary Heartbeat,' Japan's Summer Sets Introducing Amazing Rares!

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
That makes more sense. Wondering what the next ones could be. Cause I’m blanking on support for the other types in the same vein as these ones.

There's Hydreigon from Darkness Ablaze that was printed in the separate special Grimmsnarl V-Max deck. The next set with a gold print will reveal which is their criteria for gold mons, if being a new mon, or if being type specific support, because so far both theories fit.
What's next? Luxray? I see the pattern.

My guesses for the PR Promos for Darkness Ablaze are Blaziken, Galarian Mr. Rime/Polteageist, Hydreigon, Milotic/Toxtricity

Mine are Swanna, Polteageist, Hydreigon and then either Decidueye or Blaziken.

The Almighty Bidoof

Just your everyday MtF trans Bidoof worshipper
Jirachi's attack could be really good set up in expanded. Counter + Karate Belt gives you 7 energy on the board

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Yet another expensive switch-in Jirachi. The [F] energy cost is rather strange.... I guess Amazing Rares stole the Dragon type's shtick!

If I had to bet, I'd still bet on Regidrago being a Colorless Type with novel energy costs (and probably no weakness) though.

Zarude could be nice to preserve Vmax Pokemon. Makes me wonder if maybe they should have implemented the whole "switching ends the Dynamax" thing in the TCG.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I'm betting on the special rule for Amazing Rares to be printed in the rulebook, because that effect is absolutely crazy for an attack on a basic. Maybe you can only have one amazing rare in your entire deck - but max out copies, so you could have 4 Jirachis but no other amazing rare. This is loadable by Saucer and can ignore the [F] by using Karate Belt, so any Metal deck only needs to include a [P] energy to stage a crazy comeback.

Zarude is "balanced" by only doing 100 damage and needing to attach energies from hand, but is also a crazy tool for [G] decks. Good thing Fire is there to pretty much try to balance it out, because this could get quickly out of hand in control decks and it also pretty much hard-walls any deck that can't manage to OHKO Zarude.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Still my doubts as this set will be our 2020 subset, that includes V decks and the omitted Vs from Darkness Ablaze.
  • Jirachi Rainbow - not buying the atk cost but I love the ability. Its literally Pajohto (Pidgeotto), but only works on the active. It has 1 RC and no need to sleep so you can use U-Turn Board. About the atk, you are talking about P-F-C, it can attach 7 energy, yes. But expect to be KO'ed next turn, so that's useless. Trading 7 energy in a deck for 3 enrgy on Jirachi. On Jirachi, will it be a proper replacement to the TEU one? Probably not, but TEU one loses Escape Board thru the rotation. Maybe this one will be playable. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Zarude V - not loving it. Sorry! 3 Geodudes
  • Rayquaza Rainbow - how do we pay the atk cost to do 240? Aurora Energy don't work since it need Basic Energy to do damage. 3 Geodudes
Very weird on these Japanese SWSH booster box products that they didn't see the side portion of the box to see what Pokemon we are expect to get. Like how Sun & Moon products were.
Zarude is "balanced" by only doing 100 damage and needing to attach energies from hand, but is also a crazy tool for [G] decks. Good thing Fire is there to pretty much try to balance it out, because this could get quickly out of hand in control decks and it also pretty much hard-walls any deck that can't manage to OHKO Zarude.
Volcanion: allow us to introduce ourselves

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Well now. Amazing Rare is not much more than a rarity designation. I was really hoping for Prism Star 2: Electric Boogaloo.

the attack cost is REALLY reminiscent of the old WOTC Shining chase Rares: bizarre costs and energy typing that doesn’t make sense. That said, so far, Jirachi looks like it has potential. Who knows.

I’m curious of the Amazing Rare distribution. Would it be like Shining Rares in Shining Legends (1 per 15 packs), or Neo Destiny (1 per box)

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
the attack cost is REALLY reminiscent of the old WOTC Shining chase Rares: bizarre costs and energy typing that doesn’t make sense. That said, so far, Jirachi looks like it has potential. Who knows.

I’m curious of the Amazing Rare distribution. Would it be like Shining Rares in Shining Legends (1 per 15 packs), or Neo Destiny (1 per box)

You're absolutely right! Can't believe those slipped my mind. That really could be what they're going for here!

momand

Aspiring Trainer
jirachi seems fine as a pivot but not really anything else (i mean we have turbo patch so getting it set up isn't completely infeasible but 3 different energy just makes the attack kind of bad, and think about it, even if you try to set it up your opponent could just boss's orders and kill it fairly easily due to its 70 hp), but with most jirachi teu decks playing 4 switch and 4 scoop up net anyway, losing escape board doesn't seem like a valid enough reason to use this new jirachi over the current staple. i see this being pretty good for ssh-on tho

zarude seems nice as a 1-of in rillaboom/eggrow (and is VERY reminiscent of mega sceptile ex which i like) but other than that he's kinda bad (plus with centiskorch vmax on the horizon that will probably do very well in our meta rillaboom is just gonna die regardless)

rayquaza's art is phenomenal but too bad it sucks

also pray they don't use yellow borders when we get these internationally

itmealice

Aspiring Trainer
Gonna have to import the Marnie stuff!

Zarude is pretty cool, interested to learn more about Amazing Rares. The art and card style is cool at the very least!

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
also pray they don't use yellow borders when we get these internationally

to say nothing about how lousy the yellow border looks in general, it looked especially clunky on the Hidden Fates non-GX shiny Pokemon (seriously. Compare the Japanese shiny Eevee to the English shiny Eevee and you'll regret so much..) I don't see them ever giving up on the yellow border except for cards that don't have a standard border to begin with.

So I'm more worried about the Japanese pull rates of Amazing Rares, because I think I'd actually really like to collect these cards.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Collectors are going to have the time of their lives with these.

As a player. no to all of them. Unless the other ones are going to have an amazing ability they all are going to bad if this is the direction they are going to go for energy cost