'Eruption Walker' Japan's Mini-Set for April!

zigzag501

Aspiring Trainer
Nice, shiny Rillaboom! Best starter this gen, easy. As much as I absolutely hate Cinderace and dislike Inteleon, they better give the other two shiny cards to complete the trio in future sets, even though they're promoting more competitively-focused single prize Pokemon for these. You can't just do one part of the group and leave the rest out (even though they have, multiple times).
It's the Prerelease promo's bro.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
It's the Prerelease promo's bro.
Whatever the case may be, I've mentioned before on this thread when two other people pointed things out, that I'm just saying "hey, wouldn't it be cool if so and so happened?" not that I'm expecting the other two getting gold cards to happen. I could have worded my post in a better way if that's the issue here.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
No; as with any special energy, it includes text similar to (from Bulbapedia):

This card provides Fire Energy only while this card is attached to a Fire Pokémon.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Its really only confusing if you can't/don't read.
It's easy to understand if you've been playing for a while, but I'm talking about new players. The new special energy make it even worse, and we'd all be thrown off if not for older rulings. In case you don't get it, here's what I mean.

MysteryEnergyPhantomForces112.jpg

Here, the text on what it means is extremely clear, and the icon, while similar to basic Psychic Energy, is different. Now let's compare Horror...

172.jpg

This is an example of garbage card design, even if it's clear after a quick explanation. First of all, the icon is identical to Psychic Energy, which is inconsistent compared to previous special energy of recent times, so it would be fair to guess at this point that it might be different. But hey, that what the text is for, right? WELL THEY WENT AND CHANGED THAT TOO! With this current wording and the icon, the only way to know that this isn't a Psychic Energy in the hand is to know the ruling that Special Energy don't have a type until they're attached to a Pokemon. Since TPCi doesn't care about having a proper rulebook, the only way to know what should be a basic rule is to ask. I repeat, you need to look up how special energy work at their most basic level to understand how this is meant to work. You think that a new player is just going to assume that the first line means that's the only time it's a Psychic energy automatically? Some will, most will come here to ask, which is how this conversation started in the first place. This is meant to be the most simple, pick-up-and-play TCG of them all, and and yet a class of card is treated as if it's an advanced mechanic? And before you make your counterargument, here's a link to the official rulebook. I want you to see how many times and where Special Energy is mentioned. https://assets.pokemon.com//assets/cms2/pdf/trading-card-game/rulebook/swsh1_rulebook_en.pdf

Otaku

The wise fool?
Its really only confusing if you can't/don't read.
It's easy to understand if you've been playing for a while, but I'm talking about new players.

It might be harder for veteran players, at least of a certain era. That is because a metaruling was that, whatever energy symbol was in the upper right-hand corner of the card (or upper left-hand for really old Energy cards, that's what the Energy card counted as when not in play. It was simple, efficient, and while it still required an explanation, it was readily understood even by players without the best reading comprehension. Handy for the rest of us because it answered questions with a quick glance.

Then it stopped being true. =/ Maybe it never was and is another long-term misunderstanding. To give you an idea, though, you'll notice how Rainbow Energy goes from having its own unique [@] symbol in the corner, to having [C]. Aurora Energy has returned to having its own specialty symbol, and it all seems needlessly confusing, unless the entire point is a card not having an Energy Type when not in play...

...except they could just not put anything in the corner, which simplifies things greatly. XP