Contest PokéPoetry! #10: 5-7-5 Edition - Congrats, Ephemera!

Fomantis - Bathing in the Sun

I shall dance all day
So I can evolve and pray
but sleep I must get

inspired by the Pokedex entries: When the sun rises, Fomantis spreads its four leaves and bathes in the sunlight. The tip of its head has a pleasant aroma. + During the day, it sleeps and soaks up light. When night falls, it walks around looking for a safer place to sleep.

Manaphy - Birthright

Down under the sea
Is where the magic happens
Here in Atlantis

The PokéDex says Manaphy was born in the cold sea floor and that it can bond with anything. So my headcanon is that Manaphy was born in Atlantis and the magic that happens is just Manaphy using Heart Swap and other abilities.

I forgot about this thread. Wanted to try senryu style so here's a light poem about one of the most degenerate Pokemon ever.

Klefki - I Wish You'd Die But You're So Darn Useful

can't find my car keys
klefki is good in a pinch
what a good helper

Empoleon - The Sovereign
With three pointed crest
Powerful, Prideful, Reserved
Stands above the ice

The contents of this poem come from Empoleon's physical description and majestic nature. The pokedex states, "It avoids unnecessary disputes, but it will decimate anything that threatens its pride." and "It swims as fast as a jet boat. The edges of its wings are sharp and can slice apart drifting ice."

Croagunk - Frog of Nightmares?

Piercing yellow eyes
Eerie warning from their cheeks
Poison flows through them

I thought it would be a fun idea to go with a slightly different take on Croagunk with this poem. I decided to take the psychical descriptions and attributes of the Pokemon and twist it in a different tone to make Croagunk sound creepier than otherwise normally perceived.

Treecko - Tomorrow's Forecast

Underneath a branch
The thick leaf makes haste for sun
Before midnight rain

Some key traits are noted (hanging upside down from its toes and having what appears to be a big leaf-like tail), but I hope to draw attention to its ability of predicting the weather with its tail, an ability only mentioned in dex entries and not really implementable in the games.

Just bumping as a reminder, you have until Sunday night to make your postings!

Forretress - The Forest Thing

Quicker than a whip
Couldn't get a look inside
It is mystery

This haiku is based on the information that a Forretress does sometimes open its shell when it needs to eat but does so at such a quick pace that its insides are not revealed to anyone watching.

Growlithe - Baptism of Fire

Scorched air, charcoal smoke
Small pup rouses the courage
To be a legend

Growlithes are extremely brave and loyal, with an excellent scent of smell. They are fire-types (obviously) and evolve into Arcanine, the Legendary Pokemon. I think I captured all that in here.

(Note - I'm not sure how many syllables "scorched" is in everyone's different accents, but where I'm from and hopefully in most other places it's just one.)

Lunala - The Beast that Calls the Moon

The moon I cared for
Will see the world without me
Goodbye, my Nebby.

I'm glad I got Lunala. I hope I did it right.

Heracross - Born fighter

Eyes on the price. Steady
Attack is the best defense
He earned it. Damn Tree

I like Heracross a lot. A often forgotten Pokmon that is fairly cool. I like the RL beetle its based on aswell. Probably one of the coolest Insects.
I stumbled upon its Ruby Dex Entry which goes as follows:
"Heracross charges in a straight line at its foe, slips beneath the foe's grasp, and then scoops up and hurls the opponent with its mighty horn. This Pokémon even has enough power to topple a massive tree."
So I went for the approach of having this big fight that Heracross is known for. Beeing a fighting type at all. But with the twist at the end that it was simply a stationary Tree it was fighting. Basically the tree was provoking it and got what it deserved. Because I thought it was funny they would mention Heracross beeing able to topple a tree. Why would he do that? Just to flex?

Obstagoon - Punkalicious

Reckless by nature,
Colour scheme of black and white,
Overlord of punk.

The first line is because "Reckless" is one of its abilities, the second line is because of the black and white stripes Obstagoon sports, and the third line is because of the underlying punk genre in his style.

I am very glad I got Obstagoon, even though it has limited Pokedex entries. :)

Last edited:
Jynx - Perpetual Dancer

Though rhythm unheard
Her dancing is contagious
Sway along with Jynx

This was completely inspired by its Pokédex entries. With a Pokémon like Jynx, I kinda had to do some digging to get any inspiration for any idea other than a complete joke. Some of Jynx’s Pokédex entries said that it’s always moving it’s hips to some kind of rhythm, and that people who see Jynx dancing will sometimes have the urge to dance along with it without thought. So that’s I went with, and honestly this probably went better than another elemental monkey would’ve.

Still waiting on one more poem (I will allow its submission until I wake up tomorrow), butI will go ahead and open up voting as planned. Thank you all for waiting on liking your favorite posts, I'm happy to see a fair playing field! Please reread the following on voting:

7. Voting

Voting is open to anyone, not just participants! You are allowed to vote for up to 3 entries that you think deserve the win. You can vote in a few ways: you can like the poem’s post, PM @Turtwig, or DM Turtwig#1542 on discord if you’d like to remain anonymous.

You will find all 13 poems linked in the main OP under your names if you don't want to scroll through. I may also add links to them in this post tomorrow morning if I remember.

With that, let the liking commence!

Going to conclude voting for this round, and including votes I received through PM/Discord, the results are clear!

130969.jpg

Winner: @Ephemera, "The Beast that Calls the Moon" (9 votes)

Lunala - The Beast that Calls the Moon

The moon I cared for
Will see the world without me
Goodbye, my Nebby.

Second: @PMJ, "I Wish You'd Die But You're So Darn Useful" (5 votes)
Klefki - I Wish You'd Die But You're So Darn Useful
can't find my car keys
klefki is good in a pinch
what a good helper
Third: @FourteenAlmonds, "Baptism of Fire" (4 votes)
Growlithe - Baptism of Fire

Scorched air, charcoal smoke
Small pup rouses the courage
To be a legend

Thank you all for participating, it's been great seeing interest and activity in CW again. The success of PokéPoetry! means I'll be green lighting some other projects and contest coming very soon, including (spoilers) an encore of last year's Original Character contest (keep an eye out). Again, if you enjoyed playing with haiku this month, consider starting a poetry thread you can come back to whenever! Write on!

Back