'Pokemon TCG: Battle Academy' Announced!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I'm hoping it's like the trainer's kits but with even more useful cards, some useful staple trainers and support Pokemn and the like. Teach people how to play the game and give them a bit of a jump start into the actual thing too.

I didn't mention it on the post itself but I've been loving the direction that Pokemon is taking with having products that genuinely help people get the resources they need to get into the game, both by having it accessible as a product and promptly reducing the second-hand price. This didn't exist besides the occasional useful tin when I was interested in playing the game when I was younger which is probably in part why I went full-on collector. I really hope they keep this up because I do think this has a positive effect on the competitive scene, even if I'm not necessarily into that. I hope this product at least does a little bit of that.

Just... Start doing it for expanded. Please? I just want a computer search to finish BCR, lol.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
They never will support expanded in products like this.. but ive a feeling computer search will return at some point.. getting such a black and whitey vibe off of these sets it has to...

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
They never will support expanded in products like this.. but ive a feeling computer search will return at some point.. getting such a black and whitey vibe off of these sets it has to...
I see what you're saying and wish the same myself.
Unfortunately I don't feel like this will contain expanded stuff because it is releasing in July. The expanded season is usually around early winter to the end of it. Maybe we will get an expanded version of this product some time in the future, maybe around the winter block release of products.
Expanded best format. ;)

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Maybe it will finally be the release of a proper PTCGO mobile app....

...a guy can dream...

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Trainer Kits have 2 30 card decks, and cost $10 right? So maybe this costs $20 because it has 2 60 card decks instead? Or maybe not.

MTG had a similar product with 2 60 card decks called the Spellslinger starter decks, but it cost $13. Maybe the higher price might be some knick knacks or something.

Jackrockstar

Aspiring Trainer
I like this idea just to get my friends into the game without printing off proxies/getting theme decks that could match up bad against one another. Probably nothing of value in these things, but honestly that's for the best b/c if there was seasoned players would just scoop them up without giving families a chance to get them.

Animegamer420

Aspiring Trainer
this is so annoying that we had to deal with these trash cards in Hidden Fates, if they were gonna relase this product then they should have just left them out or included better cards in the HF set like the ones that were about to come out for the high class packs (which are relegated to a holiday set because god forbid they come out a month early in the US)

ADP Big Rat

150/350
That Aipom actually looks super good for control, similarly to how FLF Durant is played in 8 Doll Stall to punish your opponent for building large hands.

PatchampYoutuber

Aspiring Trainer
Ive actually handled this product back at London Toy Fair in January and its not much different from the Japanese version at all. but for some reason the pokemon company where really unhappy about even the plan to release this being discussed. (Hence why i didnt share the info with Pokebeach as i often do)

Photos were embargoed as was online discussion of the product

They have however slighly changed the box since its prototype earlier in the year which was nearly all yellow and red with the same 3D renders of Charizard and Pikachu from the Japanese box but nothing in the background behind them. My honest feedback i gave them when they asked me was that the packaging didnt feel very exciting.

All contents inside were almost identical to the Japanese Release.

The promo wasnt in the prototype though

It also wasnt referred to as 'Battle Academy' so this branding is a new decision on their part

But even the pokemon rep who discussed the item with me was at a loss at to why the Pokemon company didnt want knowledge sharing of the product. But he was very keen to tell me how much the Pokemon company want to release more products that encourage family interaction

Last edited:

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Well this one is easily skippable, I'll wait to see what other cards non-advertised cards are included in the League Battle Decks and Trainer's Toolkit.

And judging by cards I can make out in the first two images I have a feeling the decks will be worse versions of the TCGO's Charizard-GX and Rachu-GX tin decks, Salandit is present in Charizard's but it's the print found in this product is Ultra Prism while the TCGO's Charizard-GX deck has the Unbroken Bonds print. The only curveball is Mewtwo-GX, a TCGO deck was never made for that one.
Ive actually handled this product back at London Toy Fair in January and its not much different from the Japanese version at all. but for some reason the pokemon company where really unhappy about even the plan to release this being discussed. (Hence why i didnt share the info with Pokebeach as i often do)

Photos were embargoed as was online discussion of the product

They have however slighly changed the box since its prototype earlier in the year which was nearly all yellow and red with the same 3D renders of Charizard and Pikachu from the Japanese box but nothing in the background behind them. My honest feedback i gave them when they asked me was that the packaging didnt feel very exciting.

All contents inside were almost identical to the Japanese Release.

The promo wasnt in the prototype though

It also wasnt referred to as 'Battle Academy' so this branding is a new decision on their part

But even the pokemon rep who discussed the item with me was at a loss at to why the Pokemon company didnt want knowledge sharing of the product. But he was very keen to tell me how much the Pokemon company want to release more products that encourage family interaction
I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to keep its release quiet to quash any negative reception the product would've received, it DOES contain underwhelming Hidden Fates cards that were originally in their own products when released in Japan.