'Eruption Walker' Japan's Mini-Set for April!

It looks like Seismetoad EX is back in the form of Vikavolt V (a little bit of a mouthful). A basic 2 prize pokemon with an item lock attack payable in one turn (I think Tapu Koko is best for this) and a way to boost that damage (used to be Hypnotoxic Laser now its Electro Power and Galarian Zigzagoon). I am very interested in trying this.

I'm loving Grapploct. Locks big Basics and if you're feeling flippy, 220 for FFC is not terrible!

Galarian Stunfisk would also be super annoying with Melmetal & Lucario TTGX and Metal Frying Pan!

I'm loving Grapploct. Locks big Basics and if you're feeling flippy, 220 for FFC is not terrible!

Galarian Stunfisk would also be super annoying with Melmetal & Lucario TTGX and Metal Frying Pan!
Expect Metal Frying Pan is rotate once this is legal

Here is my list of cards that are of interest to me at first glance:

• Golisopod: Potential nice counter to GX and V based decks but I do not foresee it taking ohkos most of the time.
  • Centiskorch VMAX: Nice flexible damage output and even accelerates to itself when you want it to do so. Note that the self-acceleration is optional.
  • The spiritual successor of Night March seems to be based on Alice in Wonderland: Mr Rime (the mad hatter), Dedenne (the dormouse), Bunnelby (the march hare), Polteageist (the tea dishes). It is a budget deck but the damage output has a natural cap that does not sit well with this meta expected to be dominated by Pokémon VMAX. Similar to Lost March you will need Big Parasol and Mew SM10 to protect your glass-cannon balls.
  • Vikavolt V: Potential nice addition to electric decks but in gneral it seems worse than Boltund V and Tapu Koko V.
  • Toxtricity: Could be a decent mill card with Glimwood Tangle and Cursed Shovel. Might want some tech Will in it too.
  • Gardevoir VMAX: Could be decent with Indeedee V and Malamar but not totally soldon the healing theme.
  • Galarian Stunfisk V: Trap Bite looks like a real nice attack at a lost cost. Maybe this could be a decent addition to Zacian V decks.
  • Corviknight: Combined with Scoop Up Net to retrieve itself tankf Pokémon VMAX with low attack costs will love this card provided that they can fit them into the deck. Dragapult VMAX came to mind here.
  • Heat Fire Energy: Nice addition to fire decks. Cinderace VMAX may benefit more from it than Centiskorch VMAX.
That Toxtricity is totally broken. Don't forget you get cursed shovel as well to add an extra 2 cards every time one is knocked out, and you can use twin energy to power it up. If you are running Will/Pal Pad you could easily mill them out before they get prizes. Assuming you got 3 Toxtricity/Shovels off you are looking at a discard of 21 cards, not including Bellelba & Brycen. Most decks can't handle that because of the number of Professor's Research and Dedenne they have to play to set up. Mill was already strong and now they gave it this...

I like the Mad Party, but think it will be really linear. With Night March and Lost March we had different types to attack with, so we could often hit for weakness as well. Mad Party right now is all Psychic except for Bunnelby, which doesn't help that at all. Gives you another attacker, but your chances of hitting for weakness are next to nothing with only Psychic attackers.

That Toxtricity is totally broken. Don't forget you get cursed shovel as well to add an extra 2 cards every time one is knocked out, and you can use twin energy to power it up. If you are running Will/Pal Pad you could easily mill them out before they get prizes. Assuming you got 3 Toxtricity/Shovels off you are looking at a discard of 21 cards, not including Bellelba & Brycen. Most decks can't handle that because of the number of Professor's Research and Dedenne they have to play to set up. Mill was already strong and now they gave it this...

I like the Mad Party, but think it will be really linear. With Night March and Lost March we had different types to attack with, so we could often hit for weakness as well. Mad Party right now is all Psychic except for Bunnelby, which doesn't help that at all. Gives you another attacker, but your chances of hitting for weakness are next to nothing with only Psychic attackers.

don't forget about Glimwood Tangle for Toxtricity if you are feeling risky you may not even need Will

My Personal top 5 (with honorable mentions)

HM 1: Golisopod
It can do pretty nice damage for a twin energy, and could be useful for taking down newer dark types as they’re weak to grass. Second attack isn’t as good but can still be useful if you want to retreat without discarding.

HM2: Mr Rime
Has a nice ability with potential if you have access to the top of the opponent’s deck, for example with Orbeetle. It could cut access to a key card in their strategy.

HM3: Toxtricity
First attack could be very good with either Will or Glimwood tangle in mill decks, and also accessible with Twin Energy.

Hm4 (Last one): Grapploct V
Second attack is nice with the coin flip deciders mentioned earlier, 220 damage for 3 energy isn’t bad.

Number 5: Corviknight
This could be fit into many decks that use Pokémon with “When Played” Abilities, such as Obstagoon and Eldegoss. It could fit into any of them due to its Normal typing.

Number 4: Pokémon Breeders Nurturing
This card can help you search for any VMAX, Stage 1 or 2. It only gets better because you get to search for 2 of them. This could let you search for a Frosmoth and a Lapras VMAX, a Linoone/Obstagoon, any Pokémon that makes your deck playable. A much better supporter than Kabu in my opinion.

Number 3: Centiskorch VMAX
The best of the 3 new VMAX, I think Centiskorch VMAX will be very good in Fire type/Welder decks. Being able to deal high damage and accelerate energy in the same attack is very good.

Number 2: Glimwood Tangle
Glimwood Tangle is a very good new stadium card. Being able to re-flip coins is a huge advantage. It doesn’t always guarantee the result you want like Will does, but you can do it once every turn without using a Supporter card.

Number 1: Galarian Stunfisk V
What can I say, I love this thing. The ability let you stack health with energy (which you can accelerate with Metal Saucer), it has access to Buff padding which means 50 extra health and people won’t even want to attack it after it uses Trap Bite as they’re Pokémon will take 120 damage!

Note: this is only my list of my favorite Pokémon from this set. I’m not saying that these are the best, I’m sure everyone else has their own opinion.

My Personal top 5 (with honorable mentions)

HM 1: Golisopod
It can do pretty nice damage for a twin energy, and could be useful for taking down newer dark types as they’re weak to grass. Second attack isn’t as good but can still be useful if you want to retreat without discarding.

HM2: Mr Rime
Has a nice ability with potential if you have access to the top of the opponent’s deck, for example with Orbeetle. It could cut access to a key card in their strategy.

HM3: Toxtricity
First attack could be very good with either Will or Glimwood tangle in mill decks, and also accessible with Twin Energy.

Hm4 (Last one): Grapploct V
Second attack is nice with the coin flip deciders mentioned earlier, 220 damage for 3 energy isn’t bad.

Number 5: Corviknight
This could be fit into many decks that use Pokémon with “When Played” Abilities, such as Obstagoon and Eldegoss. It could fit into any of them due to its Normal typing.

Number 4: Pokémon Breeders Nurturing
This card can help you search for any VMAX, Stage 1 or 2. It only gets better because you get to search for 2 of them. This could let you search for a Frosmoth and a Lapras VMAX, a Linoone/Obstagoon, any Pokémon that makes your deck playable. A much better supporter than Kabu in my opinion.

Number 3: Centiskorch VMAX
The best of the 3 new VMAX, I think Centiskorch VMAX will be very good in Fire type/Welder decks. Being able to deal high damage and accelerate energy in the same attack is very good.

Number 2: Glimwood Tangle
Glimwood Tangle is a very good new stadium card. Being able to re-flip coins is a huge advantage. It doesn’t always guarantee the result you want like Will does, but you can do it once every turn without using a Supporter card.

Number 1: Galarian Stunfisk V
What can I say, I love this thing. The ability let you stack health with energy (which you can accelerate with Metal Saucer), it has access to Buff padding which means 50 extra health and people won’t even want to attack it after it uses Trap Bite as they’re Pokémon will take 120 damage!

Note: this is only my list of my favorite Pokémon from this set. I’m not saying that these are the best, I’m sure everyone else has their own opinion.
I forgot about Heat fire energy, that is also an Honorable Mention.

Your single-prize format will love it though
Wouldn't say it's even good there, because it doesn't have a Trumbeak nor Jumpluff. You're limited to discarding your Pokemon with Roxie and Polteageist - which might be okay, but it's definitely slower, linear and predictable.

Wouldn't say it's even good there, because it doesn't have a Trumbeak nor Jumpluff. You're limited to discarding your Pokemon with Roxie and Polteageist - which might be okay, but it's definitely slower, linear and predictable.
True. Where's the Battle Compressor reprint when you need it?

It's great that there bringing older concepts back, like a lot. But am I the only one that isn't the biggest fan, it's like there trying to hard?

People underestimating Night March? Like clockwork.

For that matter, it's obvious to me that this deck will be far better in expanded. You have Marshadow GX to at least add fighting weakness to your attackers, battle compressors and pokemon ranger to counter ADP.

Night March was heavily limited by the 220 damage cap, having a 300 damage cap is far more workable, and you don't rely on triggering evolution lines or lose attackers permanently like with Lost March.

Overall, people that liked the deck will probably try this. Fighting Fury Belt and Shrine of Punishment add damage, so you aren't lacking on ways to OHKO.

Also people are once again overestimating the meta value of VMax Pokemon in meta once again. Not OHKOing them doesn't really matter, because Centiskorch VMax and Lapras VMax only have high damage value as their main draw. This isn't a format with Acerola, Scoop Up or other nonsense that prevents you from ever KOing a fat mon. As for ADP... Well, Zacian is OHKO'd by 11 Mad Dancers on the discard, not hardly achievable. ADP is a gx, and there are plenty of ways to achieve the KO against those. The problem here is getting the Mad Dancers in discard, as we don't have Battle Compressor or Parallel City. So I guess we will have to rely on the Cinccino line. Two stage 1 lines doesn't seem farfetched, given that you need the Polteageist as an attacker - no Dimensional Valley to load the Dedenne with a single Twin Energy, after all.

Old computer looks interesting I wonder if it will see play outside of very slow decks

True. Where's the Battle Compressor reprint when you need it?
Makes me wonder if a nerfed Battle Compressor that only discards Pokémon could be printed in the future.

That would allow Mad Party decks to run effiecently without it becoming an universal deck optimization staple like Battle Compressor was.

don't forget about Glimwood Tangle for Toxtricity if you are feeling risky you may not even need Will
Yeah sorry, I assumed that would be played as a 3-4 count of and used on turns where you couldn't play will (i.e. need to play a draw supporter or perhaps boss' orders to trap something in the active). All in all I think this card has the ability to be at least a tier 2 archetype and maybe even tier 1 on it's own. Within 3-4 turns you could easily mill half your opponents deck or more. That's insane. I think you could also play a lot of stall type cards to give you more turns (i.e. crushing hammer), that way if you end up discarding on yourself there isn't really any loss.

Old computer looks interesting I wonder if it will see play outside of very slow decks
Nah, like Suspicious Can, its playability can be suspicious. Retrieving any card for the cost of Double Heads is a worst version of Recycle in Fossil expansion, and we have no ways of cheating the results. Will will only cheat the first coin flip, Glimwood only works on attacks. I am okay with Super Scoop Up because it flips 1 coin and easily being a 4-of. This thing needs an 8-of to fully use its capability. (Actually, 8 copies per card is beyond impossible)
Makes me wonder if a nerfed Battle Compressor that only discards Pokémon could be printed in the future.

That would allow Mad Party decks to run effiecently without it becoming an universal deck optimization staple like Battle Compressor was.
We have Spiritomb TEU but its for D energy.

Nah, like Suspicious Can, its playability can be suspicious. Retrieving any card for the cost of Double Heads is a worst version of Recycle in Fossil expansion, and we have no ways of cheating the results. Will will only cheat the first coin flip, Glimwood only works on attacks. I am okay with Super Scoop Up because it flips 1 coin and easily being a 4-of. This thing needs an 8-of to fully use its capability. (Actually, 8 copies per card is beyond impossible)

We have Spiritomb TEU but its for D energy.

You mean UNB Spiritomb, it discards 4 mons from deck for 1 colorless. Still, I wouldn't use that. With Dedennes, Professor's Research and Lookalike Bell, you can probably discard half your deck turn 1 for purposes of setting up. Now, the actual problem is discarding stuff like copies of Twin Energy, since we have no special charge in format. You can run the old computer (and I think people probably will in this deck) but needing two heads will bite you back too many times. I guess I can see a Welder variant rising up, Polteageist and Bunnelby are serviceable as the sole attackers, the actual problem would be a discard outlet, though I guess a variant like this would probably run a Cinccino or Jirachi engine.

You mean UNB Spiritomb, it discards 4 mons from deck for 1 colorless. Still, I wouldn't use that. With Dedennes, Professor's Research and Lookalike Bell, you can probably discard half your deck turn 1 for purposes of setting up. Now, the actual problem is discarding stuff like copies of Twin Energy, since we have no special charge in format. You can run the old computer (and I think people probably will in this deck) but needing two heads will bite you back too many times. I guess I can see a Welder variant rising up, Polteageist and Bunnelby are serviceable as the sole attackers, the actual problem would be a discard outlet, though I guess a variant like this would probably run a Cinccino or Jirachi engine.

Since your main attackers will be Polteageist and Bunnelby you can run four Twin Energy and four Triple Acceleration Energy. The mad hatter (Mr. Rime) and the dormouse (Dedenne) are only there to be discarded with Polteageist. You also want one Mew and three copies of Big Parasol to protect you from spread.

Back