• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Alt. Expanded Xerneas/Kecleon Rainbow Deck

Hyrum

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all! I have a casual tournament me and a couple of friends are putting together that’s coming up, and I am trying to make a good deck for it. We call the format “Alt. Expanded”, which really just means any cards 2002+. No cards are banned, but decks that rely on stalling the opponent or winning first turn are prohibited. The deck I want to make involves Xerneas BRT 107 with Rainbow Force (10+): “This attack does 30 more damage for each different type of Pokémon on your Bench.” paired with Kecleon RR 67 with the Poke-body Colorful Body: “Kecleon's type is G R W L P F D M C.” This would allow me to be dealing 310 damage a turn with a fairy energy and a double colorless. The idea seems sound, but I’m unsure how to build the deck. Unfortunately, I don’t have any Dedenne GX or Shaymin EX to use in the deck, but I do have two Uxie with similar abilities. Here’s my decklist so far:

• 4 Xerneas BKT 107
  • 3 Kecleon RR 67
  • 3 Flabebe CEC 149
  • 2 Florges BKT 103
  • 2 Uxie LA 43
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX GRI 60
  • 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 4 Pokedex Handy 910
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 4 Poke Drawer+
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 Scoop Up Cyclone
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Luxury Ball
  • 2 Special Charge
  • 2 Professor's Research
  • 1 Colress
  • 2 Guzma & Hala
  • 2 Teammates
  • 1 Lysandre's Trump Card
  • 1 Guzma
  • 1 Wondrous Labyrinth Prism Star TEU 158
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Thanks in advance for the help!

Hahaha! I would argue, but I don't have much ground to do so. Stall decks are, and have always been, my #1 pick. When they were big, Sylveon GX Stall & Regigigas Wall Stall were my one and only decks that I used at tournaments. However, because of the variety of cards that would make stall ridiculously overpowered in the format we created we decided to ban stall decks. First turn win decks, AKA donk decks, are banned for obvious balance reasons. Donk decks are incredibly fun to design and can be really fun against players who are novices, but when all the decks become donks it sucks the excitement out of the format.

I wouldn't be too worried about stalling with Lysandre's Trump Card back in format. Seems like those decks would actually have to do damage instead of relying on deck out.

I don't really have any useful input since your list looks good and I'm not too familiar with all the cards. I would make sure to discuss the interaction between Rainbow Force and Kecleon with the TO beforehand. I agree with you on the ruling, but I wouldn't want any surprises, especially since it's a casual tournament. Maybe a useful Dragon type to hit for 340 max, and also be slightly less reliant on Kecleon. I don't know of anything that can take 310, but this is basically unlimited. Might be wise to fear the unkown. Also if you face any kind of Poke-body lock, you max out at 160 instead of 130 with a random Dragon type in your deck, which might matter and might not. I haven't done research on the format, so I don't know how relevant that would be, but if you did come up against it, you might want some options.

Why not using Keckleon from Celestial Storm and Lost Thunder?
The ones with Unit Color.

Why not using Keckleon from Celestial Storm and Lost Thunder?
The ones with Unit Color.
The strategy is to use xerneas to attack and do 310 damage since the older kecleon can be 9 different types(as it with another xerneas=10+30* 10) . If you use the newer ones from CES and LOT, you would not only have to attach an extra energy to both, but also do less damage. It would be a good idea but there are better cards to utilize the attack with.

Also, sorry for making multiple posts but I'm not able to edit my other comment. The screen just becomes lighter and freezes for a few seconds.
I wouldn't be too worried about stalling with Lysandre's Trump Card back in format. Seems like those decks would actually have to do damage instead of relying on deck out.
I don't have much experience in stall decks but wouldn't that make the game last forever unless the opponent of the stall player doesn't play trump card. The match would be completely lopsided/not fun(probably both).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, sorry for making multiple posts but I'm not able to edit my other comment. The screen just becomes lighter and freezes for a few seconds.

I don't have much experience in stall decks but wouldn't that make the game last forever unless the opponent of the stall player doesn't play trump card. The match would be completely lopsided/not fun(probably both).

Well, there are a few distinctions I would make between various "stall" decks. Vileplume variants might still do well because they slow you down while also doing damage and taking prizes, whereas Durant and other strictly mill decks lose their only win condition, deck out, with Trump Card in format. Though I guess it's still possible for mill decks to win, you just have to somehow prevent your opponent from playing Trump Card whether it be Stoutland's Supporter Lock, or Vileplume's Item lock (VS Seeker). Or maybe you get lucky and they just prize Trump Card. Theoretically it could go on forever I suppose, but practically there will always be a winner. Inevitably, either one of two things will happen. Either the stall deck prevents the traditional deck from playing Trump Card until they deck out, or (more likely) the traditional deck takes all 6 prizes. As long as you are able to feasibly construct a way out of the lock with the 60 cards in your deck, if the game truly does go on forever, then you are guaranteed to eventually take all of your prizes. That's assuming of course that you are able to play Trump Card, since if you're not, your opponent wins, and the game ends.

The strategy is to use xerneas to attack and do 310 damage since the older kecleon can be 9 different types(as it with another xerneas=10+30* 10) . If you use the newer ones from CES and LOT, you would not only have to attach an extra energy to both, but also do less damage. It would be a good idea but there are better cards to utilize the attack with.
I mean both of Kecleons from LOT of course.
Mixing them with UNB Porygon-Z can be good.

I mean both of Kecleons from LOT of course.
Mixing them with UNB Porygon-Z can be good.

Seems like a lot of additional cards and set up just to achieve the same thing. Your deck would be more balanced for sure!

Seems like a lot of additional cards and set up just to achieve the same thing. Your deck would be more balanced for sure!
Yeah,just use them instead of D&P Kecleon and BOOM!

Yeah,just use them instead of D&P Kecleon and BOOM!
But why tho? It's significantly worse. I mean sure, your energy acceleration wouldn't be a problem but the mentioned forges already helps with that. the old kecleon has 9 typings while in your version you would have to run at least one of each kecleon(but you can only play 4 in total and there are there different ones), get them on the bench(hoping one of them is not prized), and still have to have the different energies in hand. So... for most of the time, no BOOM. As @Mora said earlier you would have more cards to do the same thing. Also benching would be a problem wouldn't it?

Why would you knowingly nerf the deck though?
That was my thought in the beginning lol. Still good thinking though if there wasn't a better card @FireLizard.

I don't want to nerf,I want to replace the DP Kecleon with the SM Kecleons to use more recent cards.

Okay, that's perfectly reasonable. If you want to try this in Expanded with the newer Kecleon, go for it! But the OP is playing in a format that uses some of the older cards.

Okay, that's perfectly reasonable. If you want to try this in Expanded with the newer Kecleon, go for it! But the OP is playing in a format that uses some of the older cards.
Yeah,I guess you're right

Back