Discussion Weird Anti-meta deck?

Cutegummybear

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, so I've been going over results from recent tournaments, and it seems like the big winning decks are ADP Zacian (to no one's surprise), Mew3 box, Blacephalon, and other slightly less consistently placing decks like Mill or Obstagoon. I was wondering about the possibility of Torkoal V being an actually good deck in this meta, because if you think about it…

-Discarding two energy really ruins how ADP Zacian sets up, even if they do Altered Creation GX the Dialga is stuck in the active, ready to be KO'd.

-Mew3 has started to become more special energy reliant, and discarding those energies can just stop them from attacking really easily.

-Obstagoon dies after you discard both its energies lol.

And it's not like it's too slow of a deck either, especially with Welder and all the other tools that fire type decks have now. You can build Torkoal the same way that you play Reshiram Charizard or Blacephalon (both of which can easily get at least 3 energy in play by turn two), so it can probably be consistently discarding energies pretty quickly. And since the disruption comes WITH the attack, you don't have to sacrifice consistency for other disruption cards like Crushing Hammer.

The only really cringey matchups seem to be Blacephalon, Malamar, and Mill, but with a Green's Exploration version of the deck you might be able to get away with teching an Omastar and disrupting them even further, or for a better matchup against Mill you can play both Magcargo (ability) and Magcargo GX since they both already have a pretty good synergy with Torkoal.

Even with the upcoming set, Milotic V is the only real threat, but it doesn't really seem consistent enough to be a major threat.

What do you think about Torkoal V in this meta?

Mega Mewthree...

A new threat has appeared.
I think that you could play Torkoal V to great success especially if you can get it to be super reliable. However, there are a fairy number of other decks(Pikarom, Lapras Vmax) that you might have a little trouble with. I encourage you to try it on PTCGO and let us know how it goes.