General Neko's Moth-Watching Thread

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
It's been a while since I've gotten anything so flashy. Introducing... the Gold Moth! I also got a later-instar Virginia Creeper Hornworm (early instar on previous page).

oRLrfHs.jpg
pXCyOex.jpg

Variable Oakleaf Caterpillar
gfsBUHG.jpg

The markings on these caterpillars are highly variable!

Black-Banded Owlet
sTcCE5v.jpg

Black-Barred Brown
NJsg0bH.jpg

This one wasn't a newbie, but it looks like I neglected to add the Baltimore Snout to the list.
CtlspCc.jpg

White form of the Spotted Apatelodes (dragon moth) caterpillar. Look at those cute red feet!
hB0epeX.jpg

kxpE8GT.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Green Cutworm Moth
9yAz7IJ.jpg

Ragweed Flower Moth
4ljcGyN.jpg

Diasemiodes janassialis
r61HbcD.jpg

Julia's Dicymolomia Moth
uvX6mjD.jpg

It's cute, but I can't help but have a small grudge against this species since they prey on bagworms.

Better pic of a later-instar Black-Waved Flannel Moth caterpillar
jniyyGL.jpg

If you see one of these, don't pet it—those hairs are laced with venom!

Hibiscus Leaf Caterpillar Moth
GizQ43O.jpg

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Yeah, our part of Texas is super unforgiving lately. Thought it’d be cool to show the kids, then immediately remembered a moth thread that existed here. Had to show it and ask what it was!

I need to look over the whole thread again, it’s been quite a while and always a fun read.

Thanks for the quick response!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
A couple newbies: a Tobacco Budworm Moth (a greenie!) and a Yellow-Necked Caterpillar

ng3dQkT.jpg
i9X1ur5.jpg

Yeah, our part of Texas is super unforgiving lately. Thought it’d be cool to show the kids, then immediately remembered a moth thread that existed here. Had to show it and ask what it was!

I need to look over the whole thread again, it’s been quite a while and always a fun read.

Thanks for the quick response!
NP! I hope you learn something! :D

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Black Bit Moth showing some subtle colorful highlights and a later instar Snowberry Clearwing caterpillar/hornworm:

4mlNIbD.jpg

pWn39ex.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
A new slug caterpillar! Spiny Oak-Slug, one of the many stinging slug caterpillars.

R5P9rYf.jpg

I also reorganized the main list on the first page and plan to add more caterpillars to it later. I was thinking about changing the spoilers to links to fit the entire list in one post (assuming posts don't have a link limit) and make the page load faster, though. What do you think? It might also fix the broken image problems.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Finally!

Last week I found my first Evergreen Bagworm case of the year but, because it seemed so bare, I wondered if it might've been left over from last year. Looks like it was from this year after all—I found a male visiting it this evening! I've been wanting to get a photo of one for a while. :D

oNK9Oov.jpg

jNE10Bo.jpg

With its charcoal coloring and clear wings, the Evergreen Bagworm Moth almost looks more like a hairy fly than a moth. As a caterpillar, it carries with it a case—or "bag"—of silk and plant debris that it uses as camouflage. The bag may resemble a pine cone of sorts. The caterpillar eventually pupates inside this bag, but will only emerge if male. Males have a long, accordion-like abdomen used for reaching into the cases of flightless, worm-like females for mating.

A few more recent finds: Brown Angle Shades, Brown-Hooded Owlet caterpillar, and Boxwood Leaftier Moth

Vzp25YJ.jpg

ah9mljc.jpg

lKhIzgu.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Remember that Gold Moth from post #142? Here's its caterpillar!

4qCmIyZ.jpg

And here's a newbie: the Trumpet Vine Moth. What a silhouette!

yPST4tR.jpg

I also just finished replacing the spoilered images on the first page with links. Not only does everything fit in the first post now, but it should make page-loading faster and solve the issue with broken images. (Again, you can click on my Facebook album link above the list for easier browsing.)

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Abdominal shot of a Giant Leopard Moth from back in June. I love that flash of blue! <3

sMSkJRe.jpg

A couple new additions from this fall (probably the last of the year):

Green Cutworm Moth
(less common form)
GFmQXBr.jpg

Bent-Line Dart
887OAZ7.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
We got an ice moth Pokémon, guys! I loves me some Ice-types and (obviously) moths. :D

Snom is clearly a Jewel Slug Caterpillar, but Frosmoth looks more like an Indian Moon Moth with translucent wings (perhaps hearkening to clearwing moths). Its Chinese name suggests that it may also draw inspiration from flannel moths.

EDIT: Of course, I had to get a Shiny one!

pOsiIXO.jpg

It's a greenie! I named her Belle in reference to my favorite geometer moth, the Pale Beauty.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Not a newbie, but the "not butterfles" are at it again!

D15qQGd.jpg

Grapevine Epimenis Moth

And here are a couple of newbies, Garman's Quaker and what I believe is one of the Pseudexentera moths:

FjJFwD0.jpg

q1gtZlK.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
The Scribbler!

xnFKBT7.jpg

Yellow-Headed Looper Moth
waWzw9i.jpg

Red-Banded Leafroller Moth
Ew8vot5.jpg

Red-Winged Sallow
5NqkUhS.jpg

Filigreed Chimoptesis
WqzHzw8.jpg

One of the Apantesis tiger moth caterpillars (such as the Harnessed Tiger Moth)
X4aDTNK.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I didn't know that there was Light Marathyssa but, having already seen the Dark Marathyssa, that's exactly what I thought when I spotted this one! Kind of looks like a tiny sphinx moth with that upturned abdomen.

qjTsFAv.jpg

And my first actual sphinx moth of 2020, the Lettered Sphinx!

GP2j1LG.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Don't see blue moths too often!

fJdL4qh.jpg

Larvae of the small, metallic Maple Leafcutter Moth wear a case constructed of two circular leaf bits sewn together with silk, somewhat resembling a clam.

Last edited:

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
These are all so beautiful! You have a true knack for nature photography! I love looking at all these moths in their perfect lighting and depth of field, so much so that I might even get out and snap a few pictures! Amazing job!