• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard ReshiZard v5.0

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Following is a list I've been playing, with some tweaks, over the past few months. I'd appreciate your review and any constructive comments to improve the deck, especially with cards from the newer sets (I'm still quite behind with my own, in-depth analysis). Thank you.

Pokémon (15)
1 Blacephalon-GX (LOT 52)
1 Charizard & Braixen-GX (CEC 22)
1 Dedenne-GX (UNB 57)
1 Heatran-GX (UNM 25)
1 Mew (UNB 76)
2 Ninetales (TEU 16)
2 Reshiram & Charizard-GX (UNB 20)
4 Volcanion (UNB 25)
2 Vulpix (TEU 15)

Energy (14)
14 Fire Energy (TEU 198)

Trainers (31)
1 Cynthia (UPR 119)
2 Fiery Flint (DRM 60)
3 Fire Crystal (UNB 173)
1 Heat Factory Prism Star (LOT 178)
1 Lusamine (UPR 153)
1 Lysandre Labs (FLI 111)
1 Mallow & Lana (CEC 198)
3 Marnie (SSH 169)
3 Pokégear 3.0 (UNB 182)
1 Pokémon Communication (TEU 152)
2 Power Plant (UNB 183)
3 Quick Ball (SSH 179)
1 Reset Stamp (UNM 206)
2 Switch (CLS 147)
2 Tate & Liza (CLS 148)
4 Welder (UNB 189)

Strategy
Ideally, I start with Volcanion and an R in hand. I want to go second!!! In so doing, I can use Volc's Flare Starter attack to get 3 additional R in place T1. With Welder in starting hand, I can sometimes even get 6 R in play T1. This tactic, if successful, yields a great advantage. On T2, I usually try to get Ninetales in play or Vulpix should I not do so on T1. If all goes well (i.e., about 50% of the time now), I can target key opponent's Pokémon for subsequent KOs.

If you have any questions regarding the particular cards I've selected, please ask.

I'd really appreciate your sharing your reasoning behind suggested cards to remove and/or add. Thanks again.

Last edited:

TheAquaPiplup

Aspiring Trainer
I would recommend removing mew as in the current meta there are not that many bench sniping pokemon other than pikarom and that’s been falling off as well as mewmew which can use venom shot and that’s the only real thing in meta that can snipe

I like pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
I would recommend removing mew as in the current meta there are not that many bench sniping pokemon other than pikarom and that’s been falling off as well as mewmew which can use venom shot and that’s the only real thing in meta that can snipe
There are still people playing pikarom and mewmew is one of the S-tier decks at the moment. Also not to mention Cramorant V that has seen a great increase in baby place and a few other decks. IDK, I think it's pretty good.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Alright so basically. Why not just play a regular abzard list? 8 non welder supporters are completely unnecessary, and where are jirachi and more dedenne. Braixzard is bad. Blace should be cut for a turtnator, as turtnator has the advantage of being a single prizer and not lost zoning the energy, so you can fire crystal or victini v them back. cut down on volcanions, and play a victini v. Max out the quick ball and fire crystal counts for consistency, remove plant and labs for giant hearth, play pal pad, etc. So much is wrong with this list.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated. Also, your early suggestion about including Charizard & Braixen-GX has proven to be quite useful and advantageous more often than not.

I started playing Mew when PikaRom was popular to counter the potential benched Pokémon sniping damage. Later, this Pokémon proved useful when Mewtwo decks became popular. I noticed that opponents would often use Naganadel GX's Venom Shot as a key attack. So, Mew continued to earn its spot in the deck. Currently, not many players use Pokémon whose attacks can inflict bench damage; so, it may be replaced.

Alright so basically. Why not just play a regular abzard list? 8 non welder supporters are completely unnecessary, and where are jirachi and more dedenne.
Thanks for the feedback; it's appreciated.

A "regular" "abzard" list I have not yet seen. If you have such list, please share.
Secondly, From my experience, cards like Jirachi fit "certain" decks and/or playing styles well; it does not fit either my deck (trying to get 5 R in play T1 with Volcanion) nor playing style well at all.
Braixzard is bad. Blace should be cut for a turtnator, as turtnator has the advantage of being a single prizer and not lost zoning the energy,
When I can go second to start the game, have Volcanion active and Charizard & Braixen-GX on the bench, this is one of the "ideal" starts. Inflicting 180 damage T2 AND then searching and getting 3 cards of my choice is awesome, IMO. So, it works quite well for me.

Indeed the DRM Turtonator is a solid, 1-prize attacker. I will consider this as a replacement for the Blacephalon GX which I use primarily for its 1st attack which can be helpful at times too.
cut down on volcanions, and play a victini v. Max out the quick ball and fire crystal counts for consistency,
Reducing the Volcanion count conflicts with my strategy. Re-balancing Items and their counts are an on-going effort to improve overall deck performance and consistency.
remove plant and labs for giant hearth, play pal pad, etc.
Stadiums like Power Plant and Lysandre Labs are very useful and can be great counters to a number of popular decks. Again, this is "balancing act" and maybe more influenced by one's area meta.
So much is wrong with this list.
Based upon what? Have you tried playing this list? It may not fit your style, but it does fit mine and I win with it a lot more than I lose...

Last edited:

ADP Big Rat

150/350
Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated. Also, your early suggestion about including Charizard & Braixen-GX has proven to be quite useful and advantageous more often than not.

I started playing Mew when PikaRom was popular to counter the potential benched Pokémon sniping damage. Later, this Pokémon proved useful when Mewtwo decks became popular. I noticed that opponents would often use Naganadel GX's Venom Shot as a key attack. So, Mew continued to earn its spot in the deck. Currently, not many players use Pokémon whose attacks can inflict bench damage; so, it may be replaced.

Thanks for the feedback; it's appreciated.

A "regular" "abzard" list I have not yet seen. If you have such list, please share.
Secondly, From my experience, cards like Jirachi fit "certain" decks and/or playing styles well; it does not fit either my deck (trying to get 5 R in play T1 with Volcanion) nor playing style well at all.

When I can go second to start the game, have Volcanion active and Charizard & Braixen-GX on the bench, this is one of the "ideal" starts. Inflicting 180 damage T2 AND then searching and getting 3 cards of my choice is awesome, IMO. So, it works quite well for me.

Indeed the DRM Turtonator is a solid, 1-prize attacker. I will consider this as a replacement for the Blacephalon GX which I use primarily for its 1st attack which can be helpful at times too.

Reducing the Volcanion count conflicts with my strategy. Re-balancing Items and their counts are an on-going effort to improve overall deck performance and consistency.

Stadiums like Power Plant and Lysandre Labs are very useful and can be great counters to a number of popular decks. Again, this is "balancing act" and maybe more influenced by one's area meta.

Based upon what? Have you tried playing this list? It may not fit your style, but it does fit mine and I win with it a lot more than I lose...

He's completely correct. Fire Box literally does not function without Jirachi because the entire archetype relies on finding Welder every single turn. Assuming you don't brick, other issues include being able to basically never win against ADPZ, Baby Blowns or Mill. The list simply isn't consistent, and considering that normal FireBox already has consistency issues with maxed consistency counts, that point is relevant.

If you don't play the entire Jirachi engine just play Greenzard. Obviously there's the list from Stephane's article, which is a good base list. You aren't playing all the key consistency cards that AB Zard needs to function, so just move engines.

The Last Shaymin

Floof
A quick and scrappy "normal" abzard list would look along the lines of this:

poket mons 18

2 reshizard
3 dedenne
4 jirachi
1 turtonator
1 victini prism
1 victini v
1 heatran gx
2 vulpix
2 ninetales
1 volcanion

trainers: 24
4 welder
4 switch
4 fire flint
4 quick ball
3 pokecomms
2 giant hearth
1 heat factory
2 escape board

energy: 18
18 flamey energy

this list is far from optimal, but it is very similar to my friend's abzard list.

you can switch it around a couple of cards, but dont stray from the core of the deck