Charizard V/VMAX and Grimmsnarl V/VMAX Revealed!

If I had to guess, while we'll get most of the new stuff in our SS3 set, the Hop will probably show up in our 2020 mini set alongside the full art we didn't get in Sword & Shield base set.

• Hydreigon - Good energy accel we need. Getting it out TURN 2 makes a huge worry for me. Still good D energy accel nonetheless. This is no Blastoise where it has Archie's. 4 Geodudes
  • Rotom Phone - It might have some uses, it will be nice on a Lampent with Top Entry. Not working on Nugget and Lampent, too becuase most decks plays like 4 Marnie in their deck. If not 4, 2 or 3, every deck plays this and it will ruin the strategy. 3 Geodudes

For beginners it's definitely a nice Pokémon choice.
a) Charizard, Victini, Zygarde
b) Grimmsnarl, Absol, Lugia
Some time ago you would never had a legendary Pokémon as a side-Pokémon in a theme deck.

• Hydreigon - Good energy accel we need. Getting it out TURN 2 makes a huge worry for me. Still good D energy accel nonetheless. This is no Blastoise where it has Archie's. 4 Geodudes
  • Rotom Phone - It might have some uses, it will be nice on a Lampent with Top Entry. Not working on Nugget and Lampent, too becuase most decks plays like 4 Marnie in their deck. If not 4, 2 or 3, every deck plays this and it will ruin the strategy. 3 Geodudes
Marnie does not ruin Rotom Phone at all. The card reads as follows:

Marnie
Trainer - Supporter
Each player shuffles their hand and puts it on the bottom of their deck. If either player put any cards on the bottom of their deck in this way, you draw 5 cards, and your opponent draws 4 cards.

Marnie does not affect the top of either players deck. It merely puts the shuffled hand of both players at the bottom of the deck and allows them to draw either five or four cards from the top of their deck.

Can anybody tell what do they mean by "Energy beyond the second doesn’t count." on Grimmsnarl Vmax?Does it mean its maximum damage output is 270?

Now that we see the dark acceleration we will have this makes Grimsnarl more playable. The damage for what it cost+Setting up a stage 2 is a fit in the Vmax Metagame. Thank goodness its damage cap is at 270 and not 320 otherwise this would be the best VMAX pokemon we've had so far

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree, but I think Rotom Phone is totally broken. It is going to be a staple in every deck. The reasons isn't because it is inherently good on it's own, but rather because just about every deck is already using Oranguru from Sw&Sh. When paired together we now have a massive upgrade on trainer's mail (only gets a trainer), which is played very heavily in expanded. You can basically take your pick of the top 5 cards of your deck any time you play this card and get it right after with Oranguru. That's an insane combo. If you need energy, a trainer, a Pokemon, or a supporter you can now take whichever card you need out of the top 5 and use it that turn. This absolutely kill acro bike and cards like it in terms of speed. Watch for Oranguru and Rotom Phones (probably 4 in each deck) to be a staple combo moving forward in a post jirachi world (escape board rotates, and jirachi probably does too).

Sorry to disagree, but I think Rotom Phone is totally broken. It is going to be a staple in every deck. The reasons isn't because it is inherently good on it's own, but rather because just about every deck is already using Oranguru from Sw&Sh. When paired together we now have a massive upgrade on trainer's mail (only gets a trainer), which is played very heavily in expanded. You can basically take your pick of the top 5 cards of your deck any time you play this card and get it right after with Oranguru. That's an insane combo. If you need energy, a trainer, a Pokemon, or a supporter you can now take whichever card you need out of the top 5 and use it that turn. This absolutely kill acro bike and cards like it in terms of speed. Watch for Oranguru and Rotom Phones (probably 4 in each deck) to be a staple combo moving forward in a post jirachi world (escape board rotates, and jirachi probably does too).

I'm curious if the translation is correct. I thought I'd seen "Item" card (like a gimped Trainer's Mail), not any card, in another post somewhere else - can't find it now. Any card seems broken indeed... especially given how many ways you have to draw that card (not just Oranguru; acro bike, any draw trainer, etc.).

Think of this almost the opposite way from how you describe, also. Instead of grabbing a useful card, you can also get the _most_ useful card from the top, shuffle the less useful cards back into the deck, put it back, then Dedechange - making Dedechange (or Prof. Research or whatever) _more_ useful since you now have five more outs for more useful cards in addition to keeping the most useful card. It's like ... deck thinning, sort of. Decks like Pikarom for example will have a _massive_ consistency boost from this in particular - decks that need specific cards to make early combos. Stage 2 decks also will be massively helped, making it easier to make sure you get the specific bits you need (rare candy, stage 2 evo, etc.)

On a side note: Jirachi definitely doesn't rotate (it's a TEU card), I assume you meant that it becomes less useful. We'll see, but I find escape board less and less important - more switching is available so I'm a lot less worried about it, and honestly don't mind when it sits out there for a turn in most decks in order to let me set up and just give up one prize...

Marnie
Trainer - Supporter
Each player shuffles their hand and puts it on the bottom of their deck. If either player put any cards on the bottom of their deck in this way, you draw 5 cards, and your opponent draws 4 cards.

Marnie does not affect the top of either players deck. It merely puts the shuffled hand of both players at the bottom of the deck and allows them to draw either five or four cards from the top of their deck.

Well, it would make the Nugget strategy fail (as you'd put a nugget on top of your deck for next turn, but then Marnie would make you draw it during your turn). The thing I'd object to is "Most decks play 4 marnies" - I don't play any Marnies in any of my decks, and they're all tier 1/tier s decks... only certain decks play Marnie, mostly defensively; perhaps more will, but who knows.

Yea, he was referring to topdeck strats like with lampent or gold nugget. Which this does ruin because it goes to hand instead of being your topdeck.

Still not a bad consistency card, even if just for a shuffle to get cards off the bottom of your deck while keeping a good option on top.

Marnie
Trainer - Supporter

I'm curious if the translation is correct. I thought I'd seen "Item" card (like a gimped Trainer's Mail), not any card, in another post somewhere else - can't find it now. Any card seems broken indeed... especially given how many ways you have to draw that card (not just Oranguru; acro bike, any draw trainer, etc.).

Think of this almost the opposite way from how you describe, also. Instead of grabbing a useful card, you can also get the _most_ useful card from the top, shuffle the less useful cards back into the deck, put it back, then Dedechange - making Dedechange (or Prof. Research or whatever) _more_ useful since you now have five more outs for more useful cards in addition to keeping the most useful card. It's like ... deck thinning, sort of. Decks like Pikarom for example will have a _massive_ consistency boost from this in particular - decks that need specific cards to make early combos. Stage 2 decks also will be massively helped, making it easier to make sure you get the specific bits you need (rare candy, stage 2 evo, etc.)

On a side note: Jirachi definitely doesn't rotate (it's a TEU card), I assume you meant that it becomes less useful. We'll see, but I find escape board less and less important - more switching is available so I'm a lot less worried about it, and honestly don't mind when it sits out there for a turn in most decks in order to let me set up and just give up one prize...
Actually some of the recent thoughts are that TEU rotates. I didn't think that would be the case, but there are YouTube channels up projecting the rotation to include TEU. I hope it doesn't rotate though.

Actually some of the recent thoughts are that TEU rotates. I didn't think that would be the case, but there are YouTube channels up projecting the rotation to include TEU. I hope it doesn't rotate though.
Ok but Poketubers bad.

Sets normally last 2 years before they rotate. TEU is only a little over a year old.

Ok but Poketubers bad.

Sets normally last 2 years before they rotate. TEU is only a little over a year old.
I agree, which is why I was surprised to see people saying it was rotating. My only thought was that maybe they knew something I didn't. Hope it doesn't rotate as that leave a very barren format. TEU has a ton of playable cards.

Back