'World Down' and 'Legendary Heartbeat,' Japan's Summer Sets Introducing Amazing Rares!

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
ok so what i think they are gonna do is they dont give prizes but will have a negative effect when they leave the field or are knocked out

EXAMPLE: dusknoir AMAZING RARE. 90hp

AMAZING ABILTY once during your turn you may draw 3 cards. If for any reason this card leaves the field send the top 7 cards of your deck to the lost zone

[P][P][C] 90 dmg discard a energy from your opponents active pokemon

I wont be listing the rest as its not important but the basic idea is there good ability bad drawback and these ability wont be "normal" ones as they have a different name so power plant and other ability removal wouldn't work
You know what? I think you're on the right track. Ironically, this does mean that it would be a gimmick that doesn't involve prize cards.

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
ok so what i think they are gonna do is they dont give prizes but will have a negative effect when they leave the field or are knocked out

EXAMPLE: dusknoir AMAZING RARE. 90hp

AMAZING ABILTY once during your turn you may draw 3 cards. If for any reason this card leaves the field send the top 7 cards of your deck to the lost zone

[P][P][C] 90 dmg discard a energy from your opponents active pokemon

I wont be listing the rest as its not important but the basic idea is there good ability bad drawback and these ability wont be "normal" ones as they have a different name so power plant and other ability removal wouldn't work

With the very slim chance that wont be true, im super unprepared to go fight tons of them. i really hope it is like that tho. since then it will be more balanced.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Pokemon has had a history of not being so hard up on "negative effects". Like, Latios-GX having it's Ability the way it is was pretty surprising. The only other time I could recall a "blatently negative effect" were the Legendary Dogs/Legendary Birds during the E Reader sets.

As much as I'd like to see something like, "if this leaves play, something really unfavorable happens", I don't think they would do it--it seems to brazen an idea that R&D would implement.

I'll boil a shoe if I'm wrong

Clam

Almost decent
Pokemon has had a history of not being so hard up on "negative effects". Like, Latios-GX having it's Ability the way it is was pretty surprising. The only other time I could recall a "blatently negative effect" were the Legendary Dogs/Legendary Birds during the E Reader sets.

As much as I'd like to see something like, "if this leaves play, something really unfavorable happens", I don't think they would do it--it seems to brazen an idea that R&D would implement.

I'll boil a shoe if I'm wrong
Guzzlord had a hugely bad effect for not so good payoff but yeah pokemon really doesn't like bad effects unless it only effects 1 pokemon

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Guzzlord had a hugely bad effect for not so good payoff but yeah pokemon really doesn't like bad effects unless it only effects 1 pokemon

Pokemon has had Trainers that have can negatively affect you like: Tickling Machine, Rocket's Experiment, Digger, Venture Bomb. But they were all luck based.

They HAVE had negative effects on Pokemon (like Gyarados ☆ δ and Three Strikes Slowbro), but those are weird instances where the negative effect can cause you to lose in spectacular fashion. You do have the incredibly anti-synergetic Celebi ☆ .Like, "here's a decent snipe attack, but your Poke-Power goes completely against it".

We need negative effects that are better than Celebi Gold Star, but less uber-fatal than Gyarados.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Some ideas I have for the "Amazing Rare" functionality:
* You can only have one (Prism Star type); this is consistent with its name. Maybe even Ace Spec?
* No attacks, only abilities; like the current Babies, basically
* Low HP, ability-focused, with niche abilities

My gut says the first - it's always fine to have super-powered cards if you can only have one in the deck, as that makes them impossible to have too much impact on the game (computer search being the exception that proves the rule, I suppose)...

I wonder what the actual english name of Amazing Rare will be. "Unique" perhaps? Something Galar-related?

Clam

Almost decent
Some ideas I have for the "Amazing Rare" functionality:
* You can only have one (Prism Star type); this is consistent with its name. Maybe even Ace Spec?
* No attacks, only abilities; like the current Babies, basically
* Low HP, ability-focused, with niche abilities

My gut says the first - it's always fine to have super-powered cards if you can only have one in the deck, as that makes them impossible to have too much impact on the game (computer search being the exception that proves the rule, I suppose)...

I wonder what the actual english name of Amazing Rare will be. "Unique" perhaps? Something Galar-related?
I dunno man I think amazing rare is a amazing name
i hope they dont do the 1st one YET im kinda sick of these one per deck cards but I think they are either gonna be boring like ace spec (ace spec are not boring just only 3 are played) or kinda neat like ultra beast I hope they are attack focused

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
Very strong parallels to SM's first year:
-2nd set features what people dub "this generation's Lucario" with 1 form being a promo
-3rd set has the 3rd Legendary
-Legendary Heartbeat gives me a Shining Legends vibe

Safe to assume 4th set will be Isle of Armor, reprint set should have the Gigantamax starters (and hopefully Sandaconda), and Crown Tundra will be the start of next year's block.
You bring up a good point, We SHOULD be getting Isle of Armor cards pretty soon. Wait....does this mean that we'll get the new Galarian form's typings, considering the TCG is quicker than new pokemon are released????

Wavestripe

Med Student
Very strong parallels to SM's first year:
-2nd set features what people dub "this generation's Lucario" with 1 form being a promo
-3rd set has the 3rd Legendary
-Legendary Heartbeat gives me a Shining Legends vibe

Safe to assume 4th set will be Isle of Armor, reprint set should have the Gigantamax starters (and hopefully Sandaconda), and Crown Tundra will be the start of next year's block.

The third set featuring the third legendary is a bit of a stretch considering we didnt have a 3rd legend in SUMO but the rest I agree with. We got the guardian deities but i would equate those more to the lake guardians or legendary beasts

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
The more I think about it, the more that Amazing Rare would make the most sense as a sort of Gold Star 2: Electric Boogaloo.

For people that are worried about a return to this, keep this in mind: Pokemon hasn't done "good" chase rares in a LONG LONG TIME. IIRC, Gold Star Rayquaza and Gold Star Jolteon were probably the first and last instances of this. Pokemon, for the most part, doesn't seem to like doing chase rares unless it's an alt art (the Gyarados from a while back) or a rarity upgrade to a card that already exists in a lower rarity form.
Also, Gold Stars were spread out amongst a good chunk of the Gen III block. Like, there would be 2-3 Gold Stars within a set, and they all had super insanely low pull rates.

I think we are going to see something like Shining Legends to where the Shining/Amazing Rares are going to be somewhat frequent and it wouldn't be like Gold Stars where there would only be 2 Amazing Rares. Considering that the set is loosely tied into the movie, it seems like this set is the next Shining Legends/Shiny Vault/etc. So it seems like all the Amazing Rares would only be in this set and NOT spread out amongst the rest of the Sword & Shield block. This is also a bit concerning because between how Shining Pokemon and Prism Star Pokemon were handled, most of them were super lackluster. I hope that's not the case here.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The more I think about it, the more that Amazing Rare would make the most sense as a sort of Gold Star 2: Electric Boogaloo.

For people that are worried about a return to this, keep this in mind: Pokemon hasn't done "good" chase rares in a LONG LONG TIME. IIRC, Gold Star Rayquaza and Gold Star Jolteon were probably the first and last instances of this. Pokemon, for the most part, doesn't seem to like doing chase rares unless it's an alt art (the Gyarados from a while back) or a rarity upgrade to a card that already exists in a lower rarity form.
Also, Gold Stars were spread out amongst a good chunk of the Gen III block. Like, there would be 2-3 Gold Stars within a set, and they all had super insanely low pull rates.

I think we are going to see something like Shining Legends to where the Shining/Amazing Rares are going to be somewhat frequent and it wouldn't be like Gold Stars where there would only be 2 Amazing Rares. Considering that the set is loosely tied into the movie, it seems like this set is the next Shining Legends/Shiny Vault/etc. So it seems like all the Amazing Rares would only be in this set and NOT spread out amongst the rest of the Sword & Shield block. This is also a bit concerning because between how Shining Pokemon and Prism Star Pokemon were handled, most of them were super lackluster. I hope that's not the case here.

Yeah, that sounds entirely reasonable - that's sort of what I was thinking I think with my first thought (sort of like Ace Spec but for Pokémon - which it seems is what Gold Star was). I think the idea is good, as long as the cards are solid (or are just all Charizards :D)

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
The third set featuring the third legendary is a bit of a stretch considering we didnt have a 3rd legend in SUMO but the rest I agree with. We got the guardian deities but i would equate those more to the lake guardians or legendary beasts
Uhhhhhhh, necrozma?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
It's weird how this is being done now instead of as the 2021 gimmick. Could Gen 9 be planned for next year? I hope not. That would be a nightmare.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Oh, and I guess that last part confirms that Dragon has been quietly removed. So weird that they never announced it.

Clam

Almost decent
I feel like they are just gonna make a set to bring dragons back for that cash so dragons gone for awhile ;-;

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
Oh, and I guess that last part confirms that Dragon has been quietly removed. So weird that they never announced it.
To be fair, Dragon didn't have GX starter deck either, so I wouldn't say it is a sign on its own that Dragon has been removed.

Dragon-type don't really fit the structure of the Starter decks since they are intentionally simple and mono-typed, unlike Dragon's unorthodox energy requirements.