Japan's March Set: 'Rebellion Crash,' Plus Toxtricity V, Charizard VMAX, Grimmsnarl VMAX!

Not a fan of cards like Eldegoss V at all. One time use, two prize bench sitter that knowing my luck I will start with it. It's attack is very Shaymin EX like though so that does save it just a little.

Toxtricity VMAX + Garbodor. Hitting 250 per turn + easy energy acceleration. Disgustingly good

Dragapult Vmax. Much better than baby Dragapult. Spreading 5 damage counter per turn+ that new pyschic energy. It's going to be pretty scary

Giovanni(Lysandre reprint)- *Sigh* The gusting we had now was more deck dependent on building. Now big basics have a bigger

Eldegoss V- I can't tell if this is better than Tapu Lele or not. Obviously a busted card that's going to be worth alot of money.

Tool Scrapper- YES! We needed this

Lightning special energy- Pikarom did not need a buff but here we are giving pikarom a buff lol

Psychic Special energy- Great with Dragapult VMAX. I'm honestly loving that card with all the stuff this card is getting

Copperajah V- We have Zacian V, so no thank you. But it does have a gigantamax. So we'll have to see how good that will be.

Scoop up net- hmmmm idk about this. Alot of non-GXs/V pokemon are already "frail" and will be KOed easily. Glad they at least made a card like this and didnt give it to the insanely high HP pokemon

Our May Set will be crazy good with all the new stuff we are getting. Good job Pokemon! Good job!!

Okay, I just did a character by character comparison of the scan of the card that looks like Tool Scrapper with a scan of an actual, Japanese Tool Scrapper and if it wasn't obvious enough, they are the same card.

Note: I do not read Japanese. Like I said, I went through character by character, even when that meant reading stuff as "Um... upside down 12? Smiley Face? Sloppier smiley face?" XP

So, I'm very torn about Tool Scrapper returning. There certainly are some Tools that are potent enough they warrant easier Tool removal than we currently have... but every time we get a two-for-one like this, it seems like Tools have to get kind of stupid-good to earn their keep.

Edit: Think the other Item card is some kind of Great Cathcher, but for Pokémon V/GX? Probably not, since I guess folks are saying Giovanni is basically Lysandre?

Last edited:
Secondly, Boss' Orders hasa Subname like Professor's Reasearch. Please specify. And also Dragapult has no Gigantamax form and the second atk is called MAX PHANTHASM. Little concern because it may mislead someone.

When I look at all these things from a future metagame when Team Up- Cosmic Eclipse rotates out, these are some balanced game mechanics. But for the next years we are going to have chaos in the format.

• Eldegoss V - This is the Pokemon that has a come-into-play ability. Although the ability is not as impactful as Tapu Lele, this is ability is basically VS Seeker. VS Seeker is so good before, which made some decks play 1-of supporters. This is good for decks that play 1-of supporters like Rosa or any decks in general. 5 Geodudes
  • Toxtricity V/VMAX (Amped Up) - On the V: With the Thunder Koko, you can do 180 for a Single Energy. On the VMAX, 240 for a single energy attachment, if you consider Thunder Koko. Plus, we have Garbodor that puts Poison on the Active not on the bench. You can easily pull that damage. I forgot. VMAX can do up to 360 if you pull 4 Electropower before Poison kicks in. 4/4-5
  • Dragapult V/VMAX - V does 140 for 2, VMAX does 180 total for 2. Although you need Malamar to pull this off, even Mew cannot protect the damage counters spreading. 4/4
  • Garbodor - So that's why Toxtricity VMAX is easily been pulled off some damage, because you are playing Thunder Mountain. So that's why you are put poison so easy. Also, in a general deck especially in a Poison deck, use either Dust Island or Chaotic Swell or any deck. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Copperajah V - Ehh?! What?! This isn't Zacian V, even 3 Metal Saucers won't help to pay its attack cost. We need to know if VMAX is good or not. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Scoop Up Net - If we have a Non-V that has a good CIP ability, this item is good because its Super Scoop Up without a coin flip. 4 Geodudes
  • Tool Scrapper - WE NEED TOOL REMOVAL! This will see play. 5 Geodudes (Although it saw play in the past.)
  • Boss' Orders (Giovanni) - WE NEED GOOD GUSTING! The options we have now are not as good as this. 5 Geodudes

I don't know, I enjoyed a format without universal Gusting. It gave non-GX Pokemon a real upside and made you actually work for it if you wanted to pull one.

Of course supporters are so powerful right now, that Boss might look mediocre in comparison.

Okay, now that we have translations (though a few tiny details may still change), I'll give my rapidfire impressions of these reveals. Feel free to laugh at stuff I misunderstood earlier. XD

Toxtricity V - A decent, evolving Pokémon V, but Tapu Koko V seems like it would be better. I mean, if you want to play the VMAX you go with Toxtricity V, of course. Or if you just feel the need to sing.
If you feel so empty
So used up, so let down
If you feel so angry
So ripped off, so stepped on
You're not the only one
Refusing to back down
You're not the only one
So get up

Let's start a riot, a riot
Let's start a riot
Let's start a riot

Toxtricity VMAX - If we have a good Poison combo to go with it, shows promise. Granted, that includes current [L] support; post rotation, I don't think we'll be feeling it.

Dragapult V - Seems decent. The effect shouldn't be too hard to work with, thanks to Malamar (FLI) and Scoop Up Net.

Dragapult VMAX - ...and now we have a(nother?) heavy for damage spread decks, with Shred as a bonus.

Eldegoss V - VS Seeker as a Basic Pokémon V. It may - may - not be as good as Tapu Lele-GX early game, but will likely fill a similar role in most decks.

Garbodor - Maybe that partner that Toxtricity VMAX needs. On a personal note, I like Garbodor as a [D] Type.

Boss’ Orders - Lysandre by another name... possibly literally. Then again, they didn't issue errata for Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper, instead keeping that silly rule just for them but adding Professor's Research to it. Gameplay-wise, while this card will become a staple, I'm not sure how it will actually change things. The alternatives we've been relying on don't eat up our Supporter for the turn... or at least they don't directly.

Tool Scrapper – I'm mostly not happy to see this return. Yeah, some really obnoxious Tools are balanced out by this card, but the rest are overbalanced. We'll probably end up in that weird cycle... which means Tools that don't provide an instant reward i.e. the more balanced ones are going to suffer.

Scoop Up Net – AZ for Pokémon-GX and Pokémon V. As an Item. This only makes sense if some other change is going to gum up the conventional strategy we've been seeing. I know, some Pokémon can't handle losing their attached bits, but plenty can! Edit: Read it backwards. Okay, so now I'm curious if Pokémon-EX can abuse this well enough in Expanded. Should be really good for a lot of single-Prize Pokémon in both Formats.

Speed Lightning Energy – Seems good to me. The previous round of Type-specific Special Energy cards (during the XY-era) seemed to be very hit-or-miss, but this one seems nicely balanced.

Horror Psychic Energy – Since the [P] Type seems to still be good at spreading damage counters, this should be a nice addition to their bag of tricks.

Copperajah V - Seems like a "filler" promo card... and I mean literally, since we were told it is a promo. XP

Last edited:
Okay, now that we have translations (though a few tiny details may still change), I'll give my rapidfire impressions of these reveals. Feel free to laugh at stuff I misunderstood earlier. XD

Toxtricity V - A decent, evolving Pokémon V, but Tapu Koko V seems like it would be better. I mean, if you want to play the VMAX you go with Toxtricity V, of course. Or if you just feel the need to sing.
If you feel so empty
So used up, so let down
If you feel so angry
So ripped off, so stepped on
You're not the only one
Refusing to back down
You're not the only one
So get up

Let's start a riot
Let's start a riot

Toxtricity VMAX - If we have a good Poison combo to go with it, shows promise. Granted, that includes current [L] support; post rotation, I don't think we'll be feeling it.

Dragapult V - Seems decent. The effect shouldn't be too hard to work with, thanks to Malamar (FLI) and Scoop Up Net.

Dragapult VMAX - ...and now we have a(nother?) heavy for damage spread decks, with Shred as a bonus.

Eldegoss V - VS Seeker as a Basic Pokémon V. It may - may - not be as good as Tapu Lele-GX early game, but will likely fill a similar role in most decks.

Garbodor - Maybe that partner that Toxtricity VMAX needs. On a personal note, I like Garbodor as a [D] Type.

Boss’ Orders - Lysandre by another name... possibly literally. Then again, they didn't issue errata for Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper, instead keeping that silly rule just for them but adding Professor's Research to it. Gameplay-wise, while this card will become a staple, I'm not sure how it will actually change things. The alternatives we've been relying on don't eat up our Supporter for the turn... or at least they don't directly.

Tool Scrapper – I'm mostly not happy to see this return. Yeah, some really obnoxious Tools are balanced out by this card, but the rest are overbalanced. We'll probably end up in that weird cycle... which means Tools that don't provide an instant reward i.e. the more balanced ones are going to suffer.

Scoop Up Net – AZ for Pokémon-GX and Pokémon V. As an Item. This only makes sense if some other change is going to gum up the conventional strategy we've been seeing. I know, some Pokémon can't handle losing their attached bits, but plenty can!

Speed Lightning Energy – Seems good to me. The previous round of Type-specific Special Energy cards (during the XY-era) seemed to be very hit-or-miss, but this one seems nicely balanced.

Horror Psychic Energy – Since the [P] Type seems to still be good at spreading damage counters, this should be a nice addition to their bag of tricks.

Copperajah V - Seems like a "filler" promo card... and I mean literally, since we were told it is a promo. XP
I feel like you wrote this before the translations were put up, but Net says "excluding" GX and V, not "only".

I'm most likely getting a box of this set, and it'll be the first full box I will have bought. And I have to say that since I decided on this when the "staple ability pokemon" was announced, I was not expecting... VS Seeker but worse. At least the gusting supporter is worth picking up, but unless the rest of the set is really good I'm not a happy camper :/

I feel like you wrote this before the translations were put up, but Net says "excluding" GX and V, not "only".

Actually, I was just tired and misread the translation. XP I was in the middle of editing my post when you commented, but thanks for trying to bring such a huge goof to my attention! :)

Ok is VS seeker really that strong to become a 2 prize bench sitter? wow

YES! XD

The first time VS Seeker released, it was good, but not "Almost every deck runs three or four copies!" good. Which might have to do with how strong Supporters have become. Think of cards like Lysandre's Trump Card; while it probably would still have needed banning if VS Seeker has not been re-released, abusing it would have required running multiple copies instead of just one.

Apart from specifics like that, as soon as a Supporter hits your discard pile, you can trade Pokémon search and a spot on your Bench to reuse that Supporter. Eldegoss V becomes a setup card, a reliability card, and thanks to Boss' Command, a game finisher. While VS Seeker is clearly better, there may even be enough situations (Item-lock) that warrant running an Eldegoss V in Expanded.

We are back to more XY-era stuff. We got Lysandre/Supporter Gust, type specific Special Energies, and (nerfed) VS Seeker again. I got back into the game around this time so it is nice to see everything sort of comeback.

Toxtricity VMAX is super solid and combo well with the new Garb and SSH Toxicroak. On top of that, you can run Electropower to hit beyond the 250-270 damage cap and one-shot VMAXs and TTGXs. This might be the first real powerhouse VMAX in Standard. Even the V can one-shot other Vs with a single Electropower + Poison. Downside: Cobalion-GX exists and Zacian V is one of the most powerful decks in the format.

Dragapult V and VMAX is kinda nuts. The V can one-shot Mew3/future Psychic weak Vs for 2 energy. The VMAX can ignore Shield Doggo V's ability for 1 energy. More importantly, it spreads 5 damage counters on the bench while doing 130 damage on Active; super handy against stall and non-V/GX Pokemon. Downside: 130 is a 3-shot against VMAXs and relies on the new Energy/Spell Tag/Giratina to get the rest of the damage.

Eldegoss V = Nerfed VS Seeker. It will see play 100% but, as a 1 or 2-of to close games and/or reuse a draw Supporter in a pinch.

Garb that isn't broken but Poisons your opponent anyway is good with Toxtricity V and VMAX. It even combos with Dust Island...

Boss's Order = Lysandre. Will always see play.

Tool Scrapper is back in the format. Glad Tool removal is back in general.

Scoop Up Net is interesting. I don't know the full potential but, there is probably something in Standard that can use a free Scoop Up. Galarian Zigzagoon and Inteleon with Shady Dealings are the main ones coming to mind.

Speed L Energy - Draw 2 for a Lightning Pokemon Energy attachment is insane. Absolutely going to see play in Standard right now.

Horror P Energy - Put 2 damage counters on the Attacking Pokemon when damaged is a much better version of the old Special Dark Energy from AOR. Spell Tag + Horror P = 6 damage counters in play. It might push Malamar decks more into the spotlight and fix the math on some Pokemon.

Copperajah V was so forgettable I almost forgot to put it on this post. Zacian V exists.

Expanded View:
  • Toxtricity VMAX can easily hit Tag Team numbers with Seviper (BUS) and Hypnotoxic Laser on top Electropower. V can do the same thing but for other 2-prizers. Plus, any stall/wall decks can't rely on Abilities to stop it. Since most decks in Expanded have some way to deal with Poison due to Turbo Dark's presence, Toxtricity VMAX might be hindered further unless it runs Silent Lab/Alolan Muk/Item Gust for Cobalion-GX/Comfey.
  • Dragapult V and VMAX will only be good if Turbo Dark stops being good.
  • Eldegoss V might see some experimentation because Rescue Stretcher exists. It can use DCE to shuffle out of play for the late-game, and be a "5th" VS Seeker that can be easily searched outside of Item Lock.
  • Scoop Up Net works with Shaymin-EX. Bats might be playable again because it doesn't require Scoop Up Cyclone/AZ. Ultra Necrozma can avoid Shock Lock. Vespiquen can do all this and more. Wall/Stall will abuse this card 100%. Mr. Mime from Team Up is in both formats so, it could be a necessary tech in Expanded going forward.
  • Speed L Energy might be played in Turbo PikaRom and Toxtricity VMAX builds. Might conflict with Max Elixir, which is a necessary evil in that format. A Draw 2 for 1 Attachment is not a hard sell for Lightning decks.
  • Horror P Energy might find a place in Trev builds if they are still seeing play. Otherwise, maybe Mew3?
  • Zacian V exists.

Back