Discussion Should Lt Surge be banned?

K_la

Aspiring Trainer
What is everyone's thoughts on Lt Surge? Should it be banned? In my opinion it should be banned immediately. The new Cinccino mill is far too strong. It's a mindless deck that a monkey could win with, and it robs all fun from the game. While mill is a legit strategy it should be balanced.

Nyora

A Cat
I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: get good. Cincinno mill is, in your eyes then, the BDIF, buy a long shot, unbeatable, oh no, I can't win, I guess the first Sword & Shield regionals will be filled with only Cinccino mill, look at that, all the top 8 slots are Cinccino mill, nothing else stands a chance.

Correct?

No?

Yeah no, it's far from broken. I don't even play standard much and barely keep up with it, but if I just had to guess, it's not nearly as broken as you're making it out to be. There are probably multiple ways around it. Playing conservatively. Maybe teching your own Oranguru. Milling the mill deck (as seen by Tablemon's playing of the deck, but tbf he was very new to it. Tbf in that regard, he is a good player, and should probably be able to understand the deck's weaknesses fairly quickly.). Little bit of Marnie, etc.

Again, I don't play standard, but I seriously doubt it's that good.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
No. Way too many ways to beat it.

1.) It's not fast to set up. ADP Zacian V can beat the deck before it has a chance to fully set up.

2.) There's no Hand Control. This is the biggest issue with the deck. Cincinno Mill can't control what they mill nor can they control what's in your hand, until the tech in some form of disruption(Reset stamp/Marnie etc)

3.) It's not winning against anyone that techs for it. Perfect example being your own Belbella & Brycenman.

4.) Marnie when their hand is low. The biggest issue with the deck is that it will eventually have to lower its own hand due to Mincinno discarding cards.

5.) It's way too early. This deck is really appealing because it beats "new toy phase" decks.

6.) Pokémon only ban things that create a one sided game that prevents the opponent from playing.

Otaku

The wise fool?
What is everyone's thoughts on Lt Surge? Should it be banned? In my opinion it should be banned immediately. The new Cinccino mill is far too strong. It's a mindless deck that a monkey could win with, and it robs all fun from the game. While mill is a legit strategy it should be balanced.

Maybe post an example list, especially if from an event where the deck took first, so those of us who are a bit behind know what it is you're talking about? ;)

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
It doesn't tick any qualities of a bannable card.
  • It's not broken in a vacuum. It's just a rather balanced card that improves specific (defensive) strategies.
  • It doesn't enable any overpowered strategies.
  • It's not a good card for a targeted ban.
Mill/stall (or "control", as some erroneously name it) is not a result of a broken card, mill appears with a broken and linear format. It's a barrier of entry for decks that cannot squeeze additional techs to fight against it.