'VMAX Rising,' Japan's February Set!

Clam

Almost decent
Hey guys how much you wanna bet that when they do there hidden fates (or the end of a set and just a lot of rarer than normal cards) that they are gonna add frostmoth?

TATECE1234

gotem
I have a theory based on this new Frosmoth.

1. Why would they do that? They have never ever made a gold card of anything but a card that's naturally an ultra rare.
2. This is my theory. We all know that Frosmoth is doing very well in Japan. I think they're gonna do a golden, shiny card every set based on a single (OR multiple, we never know) card that did really well in the set before it. Why else would they randomly do this out of nowhere? When has there ever been a golden card of a non-ultra rare? And why is it Frosmoth?
I would like to say I'll be surprised if anyone doesn't believe me, but....Pokemon fans continue to baffle me time and time again. I have been right so many times and each and every one I'm shunned like a lard-ass.
They did many gold versions of normal Pokémon in the black and white era

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
We haven't had a ScR (shiny) pokemon in a set since Plasma Blast if my memory serves me right.
As for the full arts, I defo like the the Cinderace arts, both poses are dynamic

Cynaptex

Aspiring Trainer
I personally like the idea of having one or two shiny Pokemon in every set. There's just something about pulling a shiny from a normal set that is kinda fun! (even though pulling shinies from Hidden Fates was also cool)

Also I think Boltund is my favorite full art Pokemon from this set. He just looks so happy!!!

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
If you weren’t a fan of Frosmoth before, that card will certainly entertain the idea.

Looks amazing.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I can get behind SR's like that Frosmoth. They're not completely overdoing it by making multiples of them for each of this set, while it still being a decent looking render and a shiny no less. It's a lot like the BW ones which I appreciate. Besides Rainbows which will always be an awful type of card no matter what, I'm a pretty big fan of how this era's turning out.

The only one I'm not a fan of out of the normal FA's is the Inteleon, he's barely even taking up any part of the card. They really could have done a better pose besides him just standing like the stick of a Pokemon he is, lol.

I don't think the Gen 8 (Pokemon) full arts aren't any better than Gen 7's. Gen 7 ones are at least consistent in that every type will always have the same colored background. Gen 8's are the same bland style only with often ugly and clashing color combinations like neon green for a pale purple Pokemon like Indeedee or pink for Inteleon. Some of these honestly would have looked better following the SM-era blueprint.
As much as I agree that the consistency was the best part of the SM-era full arts, there were things that I'm glad this generation changed, especially that blue border around the GX's renders that I wasn't huge on compared to the gold for the EX cards. I feel like the silver works a lot better as it doesn't get in the way as much as the blue did. I might be biased though because I'm a huge fan of the Full art EX's but, I do like the backgrounds a lot more than the solid colors.

That's not to say that Gen 7's were bad though, I liked quite a lot of them myself (such as that aforementioned consistency despite preferring backgrounds) and I think the things they KEPT from them (especially the foil) do help out a lot of what I like about these now. I can totally see where you're coming from though-h and it's definitely just down to preference.

DX2069

GOAT
so are they just recycling the set names cause Vmax Rising sounds a lot like Guardians Rising so is the third set going to be play on burning shadows??

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
so are they just recycling the set names cause Vmax Rising sounds a lot like Guardians Rising so is the third set going to be play on burning shadows??
This is the Japanese third set, not necessarily our second set name.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I have a theory based on this new Frosmoth.

1. Why would they do that? They have never ever made a gold card of anything but a card that's naturally an ultra rare.
2. This is my theory. We all know that Frosmoth is doing very well in Japan. I think they're gonna do a golden, shiny card every set based on a single (OR multiple, we never know) card that did really well in the set before it. Why else would they randomly do this out of nowhere? When has there ever been a golden card of a non-ultra rare? And why is it Frosmoth?
I would like to say I'll be surprised if anyone doesn't believe me, but....Pokemon fans continue to baffle me time and time again. I have been right so many times and each and every one I'm shunned like a lard-ass.
The only problem with that theory is that they plan these sets out months in advance, from what I understand. So the decision to include this Frosmoth most likely happened before the SwSh base sets released in Japan. But they just knew that its Ability was so good on a Stage 1, there's no way people wouldn't play it. Otherwise, I think your theory will be correct. It might be fun to predict which card(s) will get the golden card treatment.

They did something similar to this in the BW era too. Same concept: Take a few non-EX cards that had a lot of potential from the previous set and make a secret rare, shiny version of it. I think aside from Item cards eventually getting this treatment (which continues today), the most unique shiny that they made was of the Propagation Exeggcute. That was just an uncommon. (Unsure if it was common or uncommon in Japan.)
@snoopy369 replied while I was typing, but I agree. VMAX Rising is a Japanese set name, Guardians Rising is an English set name. The names aren't related; just seems to be a happy coincidence. :D Besides, it seems the next sets in Japan are called Rebellion Clash and then Eruption Walker.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Propagation Exeggcute. That was just an uncommon.
Wow, that was an Uncommon?? After all these years I just learned this because you mentioned it, lol. I've opened up quite a bit of Plasma Freeze back in 2015, and I always wondered why I never actually pulled one, I was missing a couple of Uncommons but never thought that that could have been one of them. Interesting.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
It was an uncommon here, common in Japan. It getting a SR variant also shows that they make these decisions based on the Japanese meta because Eggs was way bigger over there than it ever was in the west. lol

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Wow, that was an Uncommon?? After all these years I just learned this because you mentioned it, lol. I've opened up quite a bit of Plasma Freeze back in 2015, and I always wondered why I never actually pulled one, I was missing a couple of Uncommons but never thought that that could have been one of them. Interesting.
If I'm being honest, I only knew it was an uncommon because I looked at it in my binder before saying that. lol Otherwise, I would have assumed it was a common.