Discussion What happens to Jirachi when escape board gets rotated out?

Bdez90

Aspiring Trainer
I've gotten by so far by playing Green's decks but I'll probably need to invest in Jirachi for the upcoming meta. What are people going to do when EB is rotated out next time? Not looking forward to wasting $100 on cards that won't be viable within a year.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Jirachi becomes less valuable, certainly. There will still be switch cards of some sort available, though, and who knows what else is released by that point? And plenty of decks don't really care about attacking, and Jirachi will be fine for some of those.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
As of right now, Jirachi is looking like a staple in every top/mid/bottom tier going forward. Giving Absol tons of viability as an opposition. Jirachi doesn't really have a problem dealing with Absol because most decks are playing 3-4 copies of switch as well. I can see this being the way future decks will go once Escape Board is no longer legal for standard

Dillonzer

Aspiring Trainer
Jirachi is such a good card, even if it can't get out of the active each turn I think it will still be a staple. It's an engine type card and decks can be built around it.

Panzerolas

Aspiring Trainer
coballion GX + metal energy can start to be teched to avoid the sleeping. switch and mallow lana are still going to be legal.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Plus, who knows what else they'll release between now, then, and Jirach's eventual rotation?

Examples from the past, that don't work because either they have already rotated or will rotate by the time Escape Board does, at least give us some ideas for what to look for among newer cards.

Jirachi (SM - Team Up 99/181; SM - Black Star Promos SM161) is something of an update to Jirachi (EX - Deoxys 9/107). Ninja Boy is the Supporter version of the Item card Swoop! Teleporter. The old Jirachi was as or perhaps even more heavily (and successfully) played back then as the modern one is now. Even though Swoop! Teleporter couldn't snag a Basic Pokémon-ex (the equivalent of our vanilla Pokémon-GX), you just grabbed a Basic that could evolve and - provided it wasn't Jirachi's first turn in play - then immediately evolved Jirachi after using its Poké-Power (old school version of Abilities). Not likely to be repeated again anytime soon, but a good example of a less obvious combo.

Air Balloon means a deck can now run Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX and use the two to fake a Switch once per turn, though at the cost of your manual retreat for the turn. Which is nothing new. Keldeo-EX did it with Float Stone, and we've had some others with almost the same kind of effect. So I won't be surprised if we get a Pokémon V version sooner or later. If we do, then you just promote Jirachi anytime something of yours is KO'd, or you already had to use a card like Mallow & Lana, etc. Then use the Ability to promote whatever has Air Balloon, and finally use your manual retreat to bring up something else.

Wynter Griffing

49/500 CP
For both ADP and AbilityZard, I play 2 Escape Board and 4 Jirachi

ADP: I'd just add in 1 Switch and 1 M&L

Zard: Already play 4 switch, so I'd probably add in 1 M&L and just have a flex slot.