'Sword & Shield' Theme Deck Lists Revealed!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Public Service Announcement:

Remember to verify which version of certain cards are in the deck before you get too excited. These decks are using a lot of Pokémon from the Japanese Starter Set V decks. Except for Cinderace, but it still isn't the one from the set, but a Gym promo. So here are the Stage 2 Starters we're getting:

037486_P_GORIRANDA.jpg

Cinderace-Pikachu-Promos.jpg

037535_P_INTEREON.jpg

Yeah, since I wanted to stick to what I could find on PokéBeach itself, I don't even have a proper scan of the Cinerace. Someone let me know if I just missed it, and I can edit it in. It is already like the fifth edit I've made to this post (originally, I only cared about Rillaboom XD).

Since I love the PTCGO Theme Format, I'm a bit sad that they didn't go ahead and adapt the other two V-Decks. Oh well, these have a solid Trainer line and that should make sure these are "functional" at worst in the Theme Format and for anyone not buying a massive amount of boosters. I'm relieved I won't need to pick up multiples of a particular Theme Deck to have enough Professor's Research. :D

Last edited:

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
As a fan of theme deck format I believe Rillaboom have more potential, Rillaboom with 190 hp is a tank and can survive basically any pokemon boss attack except fire ... (Im tired of Charizard), Maractus have unlimited potential, Whimshicott can screw your opponent but all the deck relies on have Eldegoss turn 2, otherwise will be almost impossible to charge Rillaboom, Snorlax or Maractus with good chances

A little bit dissapointed honestly, dont think any of these will become a truly strong deck, Inteleon and Cinderace dont have any kind of energy acelaration, technically Cinderace have 2 Bedes but use your support just to add energy for turn its not the best acceleration

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
Since I had to type them up for something else, here are the lists from the images. Note that this is not the PTCGO formatting, because we don't know the card numbers (or sometimes even the official identities) of certain cards. As a bonus, I'm including some observations about the deck contents as well:

Rillaboom Theme Deck

Pokémon x 22
2x Rillaboom
3x Thwackey
3x Grookey
2x Eldegoss
3x Gossifleur
2x Whimsicott
3x Cottonee
2x Maractus
2x Snorlax

Trainers x 20
4x Great Ball
4x Hop
1x Ordinary Rod
2x Poké Kid
1x Pokégear 3.0
1x Pokémon Center Lady
2x Potion
3x Professor's Research
2x Switch

Energy x 18
18x Grass Energy

Cinderace Theme Deck

Pokémon x 22
2x Cinderace
3x Raboot
3x Scorbunny
2x Ninetales
3x Vulpix
2x Dubwool
3x Wooloo
2x Drampa
2x Sudowoodo

Trainers x 20
2x Bede
4x Great Ball
4x Hop
1x Ordinary Rod
2x Poké Kid
1x Pokégear 3.0
1x Pokémon Catcher
3x Professor's Research
2x Switch

Energy x 18
18x Fire Energy

Inteleon Theme Deck

Pokémon x 20
2x Inteleon
3x Drizzile
3x Sobble
2x Drednaw
3x Chewtle
2x Kingler
3x Krabby
2x Cramorant
2x Mantine

Trainers x 20
1x Energy Switch
4x Great Ball
4x Hop
1x Ordinary Rod
2x Poké Kid
1x Pokégear 3.0
2x Pokémon Catcher
3x Professor's Research
2x Switch

Energy x 18
18x Water Energy

Things I noticed:
  • 22 Pokémon, 20 Trainers, and 18 basic Energy (of the deck's featured Type).
  • 3/3/2 lines of the featured Stage 2
  • Two 3/2 lines of Stage 1 Pokémon
  • Two copies of two different non-evolving Basics.
  • 9, 10, or 11 Supporters
  • Trainer cards in all three, at the same counts
    • 4 Great Ball
    • 4 Hop
    • 1 Ordinary Rod
    • 2 Poké Kid
    • 1 Pokégear 3.0
    • 3 Professor's Research
    • 2 Switch

The Fish

0.o
Inteleon is cheap, and the kingler/krabby/cramorant synergy is very strong. It definitely has potential, but inteleon himself is far too weak. Rillaboom is borderline unplayable, meaning you HAVE to spam eldegoss for energy acceleration in order to even attack at all. His bulk is the only thing going for him, but even then the retreat cost is vulnerable to dreadnaw's first attack+you'll have to conserve those switches. Cinderace looks fairly mediocre; Drampa is defintely very strong for theme deck formats, he 2 shots anything relevant (sudowoodo is also very good), other than that its all a bit bad.
Can't see any of these becoming top tier, BUT the addition of prof.research is definitely useful. Inteleon does hit charizard for weakness, so hopefully we'll finally see less zard theme decks.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Sidenotes aside, when do we see the setlist for SWSH1? So excited then and I want to know if its possible for 3 different Cinders in a set.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
The theme deck names are just the Pokémon's name? Looks like they don't care anymore lol.

Sidenotes aside, when do we see the setlist for SWSH1? So excited then and I want to know if its possible for 3 different Cinders in a set.

All 3 Cinderaces are in the set. Saw it on the ETB player guide book.

Last edited:

Christopher Shehan

Aspiring Trainer
So we are getting the worse starter but at least getting research. The decks would have been great if we got the better of the starters and maybe even a split between quick ball and incense instead of the great ball.

Otaku

The wise fool?
@Christopher Shehan

There are several cards of dubious value to even moderately experienced players that could have been replaced with something better... but these are Theme Decks after all, a.k.a. Starter decks. Even for as simple as Quick Ball and Evolution Incense seem, to a new player, they'd be a bit tricky. Which is why I'm grateful that Professor's Research made it into the decks at all, let alone in triplicate; when you're a newbie, knowing when to discard your hand and when to hold off for a turn is quite difficult!

Throw in the fact that I'm sure the powers-that-be - and some player/collectors - would prefer to not have a bunch of booster pack pulls - that would have otherwise seemed good - soured by the fact that "Oh, yeah... I already have a play set thanks to the Theme Deck." Nothing is helping Hop, Great Ball, or Potion in that regard. ;)

Christopher Shehan

Aspiring Trainer
@Christopher Shehan

There are several cards of dubious value to even moderately experienced players that could have been replaced with something better... but these are Theme Decks after all, a.k.a. Starter decks. Even for as simple as Quick Ball and Evolution Incense seem, to a new player, they'd be a bit tricky. Which is why I'm grateful that Professor's Research made it into the decks at all, let alone in triplicate; when you're a newbie, knowing when to discard your hand and when to hold off for a turn is quite difficult!

Throw in the fact that I'm sure the powers-that-be - and some player/collectors - would prefer to not have a bunch of booster pack pulls - that would have otherwise seemed good - soured by the fact that "Oh, yeah... I already have a play set thanks to the Theme Deck." Nothing is helping Hop, Great Ball, or Potion in that regard. ;)
I get why it is set up this way. SUM base decks had nest and ultra balls if I recall. One even had oranguru instruct in it. I'm happy we get research in it which is good enough to warrant a purchase.