Contest January 2020 CaC: Forgotten Pokémon (All Results Up!)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
CaC-banner-2020.png

Welcome to the January 2020 round of the Create-A-Card!

Happy New Year, everyone! This month’s theme is Forgotten Pokémon.

Some Pokémon are more favored by the folks over at Pokémon Card Laboratories than others -- think Charizard, Mewtwo, Greninja. That crowd. For the first CaC round of a new decade, we’re going to look back at Pokémon that have been neglected in the TCG’s history.

These things can get subjective, of course; everyone feels as though PCL hasn’t done right by their favorite Pokémon. But thanks to our good friend @CardPone, we now have an objective metric for determining a Pokémon’s eligibility for this contest!

Take a look at this spreadsheet. It lists every pre-Gen 8 Pokémon by the number of TCG appearances they’ve had per generation since their introduction. For this round, you’ll need to choose a Pokémon where this number is lower than 2.00. Then let your imagination run wild!

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 20 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this quarter’s Create-A-Card. @Jabberwock will be judging image-based, and TBD will be judging text-based.

We’re always looking for new judges. Keen to join the team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: January 31st (Fri.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. @Nyan
  2. @CardPone & @Kavross
  3. @samuelbmbs
  4. @chico
  5. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. @FourteenAlmonds
  2. @ShaQuL
  3. @itsAdoggo
  4. @RisingRaichuu
  5. @SableyeGuy
  6. @ThePigThatCriedRii
  7. @Nyora
  8. This could be you!

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[url=https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/january-2020-cac-forgotten-pokémon-sign-ups-open.150916/][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/398164930316075029/662034134973022211/CaC-banner-2020.png[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo and @Jabberwock for the banner.

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
For clarity's sake ––

2.00 is not lower than 2.00. If you go to the spreadsheet linked above and scroll down, Kabuto is the last Pokémon eligible for this round of the CaC, while any Pokémon Pidgeotto-onward is ineligible.

Happy faking! ^.^

Pone

Delta Species is best species
I'm in for image! I have lots of ideas for what to do. Just gotta decide which one.

Pone

There was a tiny bit of confusion with the spreadsheet I made previously, so I simplified this one and made it easier to find all the necessary information. You can find that here.

Just use ctrl+F and type in the name of a Pokémon to find out if it's eligible or not. Ineligible Pokémon now have their Card per Generation number highlighted in red.

I also would like to point out that I did not compile all this information. All I did was write the equation that calculates how frequently a Pokémon gets cards. It was made by someone else here on Pokébeach, but I've managed to lose the name of the user that made it. If you made the original spreadsheet, please let us know!

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It was made by someone else here on Pokébeach, but I've managed to lose the name of the user that made it. If you made the original spreadsheet, please let us know!

Okay, managed to find the old thread by searching "Sawsbuck" since that's how forgotten the poor thing is! @Frost made the spreadsheet, and the Neglected Pokemon thread is here.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
In for text! Hopefully I’ll be able to complete an image fake for it as well, but I haven’t gotten to the point where I can roll them out in under a month yet... if I happen to have a lot of free time, I’ll change to image later.

Pone

Okay, managed to find the old thread by searching "Sawsbuck" since that's how forgotten the poor thing is! @Frost made the spreadsheet, and the Neglected Pokemon thread is here.
Thanks much! I didn't know PokéBeach was able to search text within threads. Really glad the credit is being given where it's due! :)

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
In for text, I can do a card for my favourite Pokemon!
(Wish I had the time and skills to do image for it but ah well!)

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Would a Tag Team with both Pokémon being under the 2 point-limit be allowed?

Last edited: