Help New/Returning Player

NewTeacher2017

Aspiring Trainer
So I played many, many years ago when the very first set released and continued for a few years. I have been with my youngest son playing at our LGS every week but would like to get some advice on how best to purchase a competitive deck for both of us. I am willing to buy a completed deck, but is that something that is easiest when starting out? I would like to buy a decent deck without having to piece it together but then modify it/change it was get more and more into it.

Thoughts on the best way to go about this?

I'd say currently get the new Battle Arena decks, especially the Necrozma one. The Necrozma one has 2x Jirachi from Team Up which are huge staple cards and will be huge in the future. I'd say get two of them and then you could build a pretty decent Malamar deck.

As for not having to modify, that's pretty difficult. With new sets mean new metas, which means you have to get tech cards to fight the meta. Your deck might last a while but might not be at it's best potential.

I'd say currently get the new Battle Arena decks, especially the Necrozma one. The Necrozma one has 2x Jirachi from Team Up which are huge staple cards and will be huge in the future. I'd say get two of them and then you could build a pretty decent Malamar deck.

As for not having to modify, that's pretty difficult. With new sets mean new metas, which means you have to get tech cards to fight the meta. Your deck might last a while but might not be at it's best potential.

I definitely want to be able to modify it and plan on it, but for the time being I just want to get back into the "meta" and better acquainted with the procedure of game/match play since it has been a long time since I have been in the Pokemon world.

I definitely want to be able to modify it and plan on it, but for the time being I just want to get back into the "meta" and better acquainted with the procedure of game/match play since it has been a long time since I have been in the Pokemon world.

I would highly recommend the current Battle Arena decks. They don't have any Tag Teams but they are a good start.

Back