Sword & Shield TCG Set

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I'll take these full arts any day over the GX ones and only for one main reason-the hideous blue bordering around them is gone. the SM era full arts would have been fantastic if it wasn't for that one bad touch. I liked the uniform backgrounds, but they were held back by that and some pretty jank renders at times (compare Entei-EX's full art to Entei-GX, for instance). The coloring on the borders around the Pokemon now are way less offensive to the eyes.

Is them being 3D again disappointing? A little, but I'm used to it by now. The Sableye render is actually pretty great too. Morpeko isn't the best but Morpeko is a hideous creature in general so I can't really blame them.

Just on the absolute edge of my seat like @Frost to see whether or not they're gonna do some Hyper Metal-Chain Mega Rainbow Strobe-Light Gold Silver and Crystal Rare or whatever it is. Either don't at all (because set bloating isn't fun) or if they do, make it like the Alt. Art tag teams, just as long as they're not a hideous blast of colors to the eyeballs like Rainbows were.

EDIT-Really cool how Pokemon-V have that little bit of embossing to them. Polish like that always makes me happy.

EDIT 2:
Son of a-

EDIT 2.5: Yikes. Rainbows. Please just have it exclusively for VMAX cards, that's the only way this can be saved...

EDIT 3: It seems like they're for VMAX's only??? There's still hope yet. And you know what? If it IS just for VMAX's I'll be completely fine with it. That's how they should have done rainbows in Sun and Moon, only for a few special Pokemon.

EDIT 4: Gold Zacian and Zamazenta. Interesting. Unnecessary, but as long as they don't do it for EVERY ULTRA IN THE SET I'm fine with it. I do like their FA's a lot though.

EDIT 5: SNORLAX V LOOK AT MY CHUMBY BOY

EDIT 6: Ugh gold items. They're gonna do tons of these, lol. Oh well.

EDIT 7: Trainer... Rainbows... Trainbow Rares. Who asked for this...?

EDIT 8: wow its a blaloon so exciiting wow!!

Last edited:

Daniel B.

Aspiring Trainer
As disappointed as I am that Rainbow rares are back, at the very least, they don't seem to be for every V card, and the full arts actually look interesting again. (Why would you make rainbow rare trainers though?)

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
As disappointed as I am that Rainbow rares are back, at the very least, they don't seem to be for every V card, and the full arts actually look interesting again. (Why would you make rainbow rare trainers though?)
Yup. I'd rather have Naked Full Arts than Rainbow rare full arts for SUPPORTERS...

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Rainbow? More like RainNO! Done with that rarity. Only getting those after they rotate or the end of the generation.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Rainbow? More like RainNO! Done with that rarity. Only getting those after they rotate or the end of the generation.
Yeah, it's easily the most disappointing part of this otherwise really solid so far era. I'm just going to probably do what I've done with Sun and Moon: Get only the Full Arts and stuff in the main set, ignore Rainbows/Gold Items/Secrets since I have no real desire for them and they're basically just palette swaps anyways. I know that of course being a 100% set completionist that makes me a heretic, but eeh. I couldn't be bothered, I'm completing the set pretty much and I've already got a ton of other old stuff to go for.

Ultimate_Ace

Aspiring Trainer
How come people are sleeping on Marnie? She is probably the best supporter to play turn 1 after you have done your thing. Making your opponent go down to 4 cards could put you so far ahead.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
How come people are sleeping on Marnie? She is probably the best supporter to play turn 1 after you have done your thing. Making your opponent go down to 4 cards could put you so far ahead.
There's a new rule that will come soon that stops the first player from using a supporter on their first turn. It was most likely created to stop Judge from crippling the opposing hand on the first turn or to get set up way too quickly with Welder.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
I was glad normal V card didn't have the rainbow rare, but why did they have to make the full art trainer Rainbow Rare... It's abit boring having multiple cards with the exact artwork

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Imagine wanting less cards because of your specific type of collecting.

Rainbow supporters are a great move, especially if they make regular full-arts a bit more common - however, I would prefer the rainbow to be around the character, not on them.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
Somewhat meh to Rainbow rares returning, however at first blush these seem better than the SM era ones.

Rainbow supporters feel somewhat strange, but on the other hand I'm absolutely down for Rainbow Punk Marnie <3

I like the full arts more as well, the poses and backgrounds make them feel more lively than before.

TheRealBro..

Looks like the Pokemon full arts are still the same bland CGI art as ever, but now they have more than one background color again, so meh. Also "anxiously" on the edge of my seat to see what they do to improve/replace/insert into addition to rainbow rares.

Same here. Was really hoping they would ditch rainbow cards and also the boring cgi art on full arts but none of it. Not my cup of tea (as they would say in England.. Uhh, Galar)

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
At the request of absolutely no one, full art Supporters now have rainbow rares!

Just why? But as a trade off for this, rainbow rares (and gold cards) seem to look more impressive with that glitter effect, AND they're no longer on every V.
Very glad to see some sort of background on full art Pokemon again. The solid colors in the SM era were so bland.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Oh god rainbow Trainers returning from Dream League is absolutely the worst scenario of them all. The Rainbow Pokemon look bad enough, but now we'll be regularly getting rainbow humans too... gross.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
This is just dumb. Who actually wants a rainbow rare supporter. Most people I know want the color of the full art so it actually looks good. A sad money grab if it already wasn't apparent by TPCI.