Sword & Shield TCG Set

taigercub

Aspiring Trainer
rainbow energy is a big change instead of putting a damage counter on the Pokemon you attach it too you have to discard a card from your hand

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Translation corrections (more to come as article gets updated):

-Thwackey: Double Attack > Double Hit, a move that it learns upon evolving from Grookey.
-Toxicroak: Poison Up > More Poison, an ability that first appeared on Burning Shadows Seviper

Last edited:

xIIL3GENDx

Aspiring Trainer
Translation corrections (more to come as article gets updated):

-Thwackey: Double Attack > Double Hit, a move that it learns upon evolving from Grookey.

However, the move on the card does say Double Attack. ダブルアタック is daburu atakku. Maybe it’ll change in the official translation?

MegaPod_781

Bug Thug
Whoa, Dhelmise V? Dhelmise is my favorite, so that’s great news for me! Lots of great artworks, like that Centiskorch and adorable Galarian Stunfisk. I was hoping for a Galarian Weezing card to be revealed, but this will do nicely until then.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Are Perrserker and Obstagoon called "Galarian Perrserker/Obstagoon"? That's interesting; I suppose it's so they can be affected by cards that support Pokemon with Galarian in its name like its prevos. Hopefully Galarian forms get more support than Alolan forms...wasn't it just Aether Foundation Employee, the Alolan Marowak from Forbidden Light, and the Psychic type reprint of that Marowak?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
However, the move on the card does say Double Attack. ダブルアタック is daburu atakku. Maybe it’ll change in the official translation?
Double Attack is Double Hit's Japanese name in the video games. It's also spelled "ダブルアタック" there since its inception in Diamond/Pearl.

softsoph

Aspiring Trainer
These V cards are so darn pretty, they really stepped up their game for the 3d rendered things. They actually look extremely appealing now.

Also that Marnie full art will likely be so expensive because Japanese men are somehow obsessed with the female trainers I've heard.. (For example Ultra Prism Lillie is about 150 usd equivalent for them.)

Scoop

Literally a sheep
These V cards are so darn pretty, they really stepped up their game for the 3d rendered things. They actually look extremely appealing now.
Oh, definitely. I still of course prefer 2D to 3D art, but I’m glad that the 3D ones we ARE getting have a really nice level of polish to them, much like something like BW-era Full Arts (not to discredit the XY ones, I love Uedas stylized renders). I mean some of these cards like that Sableye look absolutely fantastic. Plus the few 2D ones we’re getting to add a bit of variety too.

I might just be excited for a new change to the TCG in terms of the collectible side of things, but I’m pretty confident in saying that This is a much better start so far than Sun and Moon base, I just hope we don’t get TOO many set bloating extra rarity versions of these like Rainbows. I shouldn’t get my hopes up though, lol.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
rainbow energy is a big change instead of putting a damage counter on the Pokemon you attach it too you have to discard a card from your hand
Lol, I suspect 10 damage means absolutely nothing when your Pokemon has 300 health. It's already apparent with Mew&Mewtwo.
They could have just stopped powercreeping.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Are Perrserker and Obstagoon called "Galarian Perrserker/Obstagoon"? That's interesting; I suppose it's so they can be affected by cards that support Pokemon with Galarian in its name like its prevos. Hopefully Galarian forms get more support than Alolan forms...wasn't it just Aether Foundation Employee, the Alolan Marowak from Forbidden Light, and the Psychic type reprint of that Marowak?
I suppose it makes more sense in Japanese, with it just saying "Galar Perrserker". Could be interpreted both as "Galarian" and a special keyword.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Why Stonjourner VMAX labeled as Gigantamax? I don't remember Stonjourner got a GMax in the game
Maybe just Dynamax

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
I'll say it again, Poison should be aquamarine green/blue and have a skull crossbones the way it always has been represented in same fashion and colour the others have been before Pokémon.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
More translation updates:
-Galarian Stunfisk: Steel Trap > Snap Trap, its signature move in the video games
-Qwilfish: Poison Barb > Poison Point, one of its abilities in the games; Venom Shock > Venoshock, a move it learns in the games

JL_muserwolves

Mercy!
I'm so, so happy we have a playable Frosmoth!~ Makes up for GameFreak being complete jobbers that cursed it with 65 base speed. Catch me playing this on release day, I think? It's between that and metal.dec right now.

Also it looks like we won't be getting V-Rising in our base Sword & Shield after all! That's our 17 V-mons and 4-VMAX sorted, I'm pretty sure?

Keldeo / Celebi / Victini / Regirock / Tapu Koko

Stonjourner / Lapras / Snorlax / Morpeko

Lapras-VMAX / Snorlax-VMAX / Morpeko-VMAX / Stonjourner-VMAX

Cramorant / Sableye / Torkoal / Dhelmise / Wobbuffet / Indeedee/ Zacian / Zamazenta

There's no space for any of the V-Rising stuff. Starting to look more like status quo for set releases especially if that means we won't be seeing any of V-Rising until May.

hervul

Aspiring Trainer
I do find that interesting too!
Also, I can't seem find a similarity between Galarian Pokemon - like no cost attacks for Alolan. Maybe they have abilities?

hervul

Aspiring Trainer
That Sableye-V is beast!
M-Alakazam-EX + bats was a good combo back then. Now we have a BASIC doing DOUBLE the damage for same amount of energies! Speaking of power creep! Just replace the bats with goons (Galarian Zigzagoon line).

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
No Hatterene? Boycott this set.

But seriously, since I'm still tracking when all the Pokemon have last appeared in card form, it's nice to see Zigzagoon, Linoone and Maractus back from year 2014-2015.

Also, after the two Swish sets, the starter decks, and the new Gym promos, only 33 new Pokemon still need to make their first TCG appearance. Including, surprisingly, Skwovet and Greedent. When was the last time a base set didn't have that region's trash rodent?

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
No one's gonna say a thing about having a common Stage 1 card with 190 HP? When most Stage 2 still sticks with 150/160 HP?

I'm going to stop playing TCG in this gen bc I didn't like it (we have a Gigantamax Snorlax with 340HP and an attack stronger than Mega Rayquaza's, and everything else's been buffed), but I confess they surprised me with the selection for V Pokémon. I love Dhelmise and now I need that card.

Also, it looks like the only viable strong deck in this collection would be Steel, but Reshizard is still around us. Let's wait and see.