'VMAX Rising,' Japan's February Set!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
So Dynamax is going to be a thing for V-Max cards too. Eeeh??? Kinda boring given that Dynamax ITSELF is a boring mechanic (and apparently ridiculously busted too, from what I've heard). It's just going to be putting...The same pokemon on top of the same Pokemon. I hope there aren't much of these and they only reserve them for a small few Pokemon, stay with the Gigantamax forms for most of this gimmick-at least they're interesting designwise.

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
So Dynamax is going to be a thing for V-Max cards too. Eeeh??? Kinda boring given that Dynamax ITSELF is a boring mechanic (and apparently ridiculously busted too, from what I've heard). It's just going to be putting...The same pokemon on top of the same Pokemon. I hope there aren't much of these and they only reserve them for a small few Pokemon, stay with the Gigantamax forms for most of this gimmick-at least they're interesting designwise.

I mean, there are only like 24 Gigantamax pokemon? I don't think the TCG have the authority to create more, and this block will last 3 years. Short of doing 2 per set .. they have to do Dynamax.

I too am curious as to what they'll look like ...

Nyora

A Cat
I mean, there are only like 24 Gigantamax pokemon? I don't think the TCG have the authority to create more, and this block will last 3 years. Short of doing 2 per set .. they have to do Dynamax.

Your forgetting Gen 8's second game will introduce more. But I do wonder why they do Vmax for non gigantamax mons tho

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
I imagine it's so they can give the obligatory big chase cards to Pokemon like Mewtwo, Lucario, Gardevoir, and the Eeveelutions.

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
203272.jpg
13409b302698cc61020f5a639937751f83930582_hq.jpg
Not like it's the first time we've had "putting the same Pokémon on top of the same Pokémon."

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
They couldn't get all the Megas in the TCG. With half the number of Gmax Pokemon right now as Megas, we better get all of them. I want to stan my 17-layer Alcremie ultra rare.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer

203272.jpg
Not like it's the first time we've had "putting the same Pokémon on top of the same Pokémon."

Yeah geez it looks like you’re complaining for no reason. Gen 8 is being targeted for “problems” other gens have,

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
my uncle's cat works for tcpi and Ive been shown leaks of early versions of the cards
one version is just that pokemon's face covering the whole card
the other version( the most recent one) is the pokemon dynamaxed next to my di-
the pokemon isobviously not as big but just to show some scale

Scoop

Literally a sheep
203272.jpg

Yeah geez it looks like you’re complaining for no reason. Gen 8 is being targeted for “problems” other gens have,
That's not my point here, I'm sorry if it seemed like that was, I don't really care about the TCG's mechanics as I'm a collector, I barely ever play the game. My point is that I hope they don't OVERDO regular Dynamax forms, is all, being that while V-Max cards ARE quite pleasing to look at, I don't want it to be too saturated. (My main gripes with Dynamax is their application to the main games, being that it's just a boring mechanic compared to Mega Evolutions ).

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I think VMAX only good for Gigantamax and Eternatus' Giant Hand Form. Giving VMAX to the Pokemon which when Dynamaxed, it gets larger and no physical changes

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
That's not my point here, I'm sorry if it seemed like that was, I don't really care about the TCG's mechanics as I'm a collector, I barely ever play the game. My point is that I hope they don't OVERDO regular Dynamax forms, is all, being that while V-Max cards ARE quite pleasing to look at, I don't want it to be too saturated. (My main gripes with Dynamax is their application to the main games, being that it's just a boring mechanic compared to Mega Evolutions ).
Nope you’re nitpicking and biased bye bye I win.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Ash was neither complaining for no reason nor nitpicking/being biased about something we don't even have in front of us yet to critique, but go off I guess...

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Rilaboom VMAX, Cinderace VMAX, and Inteleon VMAX.

As I recall, our Sword & Shield base set is supposed to have only four Pokémon VMAX and we already know two of them. This would mean one of the starters would be left out...

John Wick

Aspiring Trainer
Someone mentioned a 2nd game. You mean like Yellow to Red and Blue, Crystal to Gold and Silver, etc? Black and White barely had Black 2 and that doesn't even count as a 2nd game. XY never had a 2nd game. Ultra Sun barely was considered a 2nd game as it had the same crap but emphasized on Necrozma. I 100% doubt there will be any "2nd" game with other Gigantimax. If anything, remakes of another game? Aren't we due for remake of Diamond and Pearl? Or will we skip that and remake Black and White?

AlphaTheKineticGuardian

Aspiring Trainer
If anything, remakes of another game? Aren't we due for remake of Diamond and Pearl? Or will we skip that and remake Black and White?
It better be Gen 4 remakes or I will sue GF. :D

Jokes aside, I feel it would give a good opportunity to add back mons that were absent from Sw/Sh if Gen 4 was remade, since they'd have to add the missing ones from the originals and plus you have the motif of dimesions/time and space with the creation trio in those games (which can tie into things like the ultra wormholes or to other regions through spacial travel, similar to the distortion world).

I just hope either way that GF puts more effort into the next ones, whilst I love Sw/Sh, it feels half baked in some areas and could have used more polish or time (which wasn't possible due to the tight schedule they had but they could have at least delayed their other project, Little Town Hero, to compensate and get more hands to finish the job)

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Ash was neither complaining for no reason nor nitpicking/being biased about something we don't even have in front of us yet to critique, but go off I guess...

“(My main gripes with Dynamax is their application to the main games, being that it’s just a boring mechanic compared to Mega Evolutions).”
Idk man sounds kinda bias to me.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
“(My main gripes with Dynamax is their application to the main games, being that it’s just a boring mechanic compared to Mega Evolutions).”
Idk man sounds kinda bias to me.
If I were biased towards Megas I'd be knocking every other mechanic that ISN'T Mega Evolution. I just used that as an example, because they're comparable (both being a form-changing once per game thing). I never mentioned anything about Z-Moves, among other mechanics in the games, did I?

AlphaTheKineticGuardian

Aspiring Trainer
Nope you’re nitpicking and biased bye bye I win.
Dude, you literally just nullified your argument by being petty and immature, at least be constructive and open instead of being childish

My main gripes with Dynamax is their application to the main games, being that it's just a boring mechanic compared to Mega Evolutions
In all honesty, I feel half and half with this. On one hand, Dynamax and especially Gigantamax look like really good mechanics and could have potentially been in the same league as Megas (I for one absolutely love the Gigantamax designs); on the other hand though, it feels both overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time, mostly for the following reasons:
  1. It can literally wipe an entire team if used at the right time, making it nearly braindead (where as Megas and Z-moves required more strategy).
  2. It can (under certain conditions) be stalled out, making it pointless after its three turn time limit (unlike Megas who could be switched out, you cant even use one turn of Dynamax, switch, then use the other two turns later)
  3. The exclusivity of Gigantamax is frankly ridiculous in my opinion - 5% chance to show up in rare raids (which are 10% chance roughly anyway) and the Gigantamax trait isn't breedable so if it has the wrong IVs and ability then that's another grind to find another one. Additionally, if the raid reset exploit didn't exist, you'd have no hope at all to find the correct Gigantamax with the right stats since the dens take so long to reset
That's my main gripes with the mechanic anyway, sorry for the rant.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
In all honesty, I feel half and half with this. On one hand, Dynamax and especially Gigantamax look like really good mechanics and could have potentially been in the same league as Megas (I for one absolutely love the Gigantamax designs); on the other hand though, it feels both overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time, mostly for the following reasons:
  1. It can literally wipe an entire team if used at the right time, making it nearly braindead (where as Megas and Z-moves required more strategy).
  2. It can (under certain conditions) be stalled out, making it pointless after its three turn time limit (unlike Megas who could be switched out, you cant even use one turn of Dynamax, switch, then use the other two turns later)
  3. The exclusivity of Gigantamax is frankly ridiculous in my opinion - 5% chance to show up in rare raids (which are 10% chance roughly anyway) and the Gigantamax trait isn't breedable so if it has the wrong IVs and ability then that's another grind to find another one. Additionally, if the raid reset exploit didn't exist, you'd have no hope at all to find the correct Gigantamax with the right stats since the dens take so long to reset
That's my main gripes with the mechanic anyway, sorry for the rant.
I think part of what gets me about it is that the whole mechanic is just so unnecessary. It has the issue of being so strong that it makes any part of the (already easy) game that uses them even EASIER as you can just hit dynamax, and mash A to win. BESIDES the Gigamax forms, it's ridiculously boring in that it's "let's make the pokemon big" and then you win. It's not really inspired. Then you have the Gigantamax forms, which I love aesthetically, but... They could have just been Megas, which would further solidify the mechanic as a series staple, and also added some great designs to that cast, like the one Kingler has. It would have given a lot of Pokemon buffs that would have brought them back to the game, much as someone like Mawile or Sableye did. They don't change anything besides their form and a move, and after three turns, that's it.

I know it won't happen, but I would love if they kept doing Megas for the remake games. Like if DP's remake and BW got them, that'd be a really cool feature of that side of the core games. Of course, it's Pokemon and they love discarding things after one or two games despite a lot of them getting positive feedback.