Discussion Pokemon games from most liked to least favorite

Lucian Hodoboc

un bulgăre de humă
In this thread, I invite you to make a top of all the Pokemon video games you've played. Start with the one you enjoyed the most and end with your least favorite.

Like this:

etc.

Optionally, feel free to add explanations about what you liked / disliked about them.

hsr1503

Aspiring Trainer
Well, my list:

1- Ultra Sun
2- Black 2
3- Platinum
4- Omega Ruby
5- Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
6- Mystery Dungeon: Blue Team
7- X

I like these all (like Ultra Sun: 10, X: 8,5).

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
1. Soul Silver
2. Platinum
3. Black 1
4. Pokemon Conquest
5. Sun/Ultra Moon
6. Emerald
7. Black 2
8. Silver
9. Yellow
10. Sapphire
11. Red
12. Y
13. PMD: Red Rescue Team

I like how my top 4 are all DS games.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Apart from my top 3-4, I can't really rank them in terms of favorite, so I'll do a tier list of sorts.

1. Platinum
  2. BW1
  3. BW2

• HGSS
  • XY
  • FRLG
  • Emerald

• GS(C)
  • ORAS
  • DP

• RB
  • RS
  • Yellow
  • USUM

• Sun and Moon

Didn't bother listing spinoffs or Let's Go (haven't completed it yet, though I am absolutely loving Let's Go, way more than I thought I would). If I did list spinoffs Snap and Shuffle would have probably been up there as one of the best.

Wechselbalg

brb
Wow, I'm suprised to see that Platinum is so popular, I usually read negative opinions about it.

My top 5:

1. Platinum
2. USUM
3. B2W2
4. HGSS
5. XY

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
I've played every gen except the gen 5 remakes multiple times, and my all-time favourite generation is Gen 2 - Gold, Silver and Crystal.

With that in mind:

1. Gold/Silver/Crystal
2. XY
3. HeartGold/SoulSilver (I overplayed it...)
4. Black/White
5. Red/Blue
6. FireRed/LeafGreen
7. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
8. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
9. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
10. Yellow
11. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
12. Sun/Moon

N/A: B2W2

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Haha cant wait for people to complain about my list

1.XD
2.Platinum
3.BW2
4.BW
5.DP
6.RSE
7.HG/SS
8-ORAS
9.Colisseum
10.GSC
11.USUM
12.SM
13.FR/LG
14.RBY
15-XY

as for side games with different gameplay elements I've only ever touched explores of TDS and pokemon ranger Shadows of almnia which are pretty good.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Top 5:
1) HeartGold and SoulSilver
2) Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
3) Black and White 2
4) Crystal
5) Emerald

The Middle of the Pack:
6) Sun and Moon
7) Platinum
8) FireRed and LeafGreen
9) Yellow
10) X and Y
11) Black and White

Bottom 5:
1) Diamond and Pearl (the absolute worst, IMO)
2) Red and Blue
3) Ruby and Sapphire
4) Gold and Silver
5) Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

If we are talking Pokémon spinoffs; Hey You, Pikachu! is the best.

Don't @ me...

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Counting only main-series games (from most-liked to least):

1. Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
2. Black 2 & White 2
3. Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee
4. Emerald
5. X & Y
6. Platinum
7. Black & White
8. HeartGold & SoulSilver
9. Crystal
10. FireRed & LeafGreen
11. Ruby & Sapphire
12. Gold & Silver
13. Diamond & Pearl
14. Sun & Moon
15. Red & Blue
16. Yellow
17. Ultra Sun & Moon

Note that the "dislikes" start after Gold & Silver.

Ultra Sun & Moon ranked lowest because they're the only Pokemon games so far that have outright DISAPPOINTED me. They didn't fix ANY of Sun/Moon's issues, and the additions don't make up for that. Likewise, while Yellow's an improved Red/Blue in some aspects, the anime theming detracts from it more often than it helps IMO. (Jessie and James really add nothing, for instance.) DP... Honestly, mostly dislike it due to Mt. Coronet. (Both mechanically just due to its size, and its role on the world map. Not a huge fan of regions like Sinnoh and Kanto that loop around a lot.) Aside from that, it's mostly this low simply because Platinum is a straight improvement in every way (similar to why Ruby and Sapphire are as low as they are).

On the other end... ORAS just felt to me the most "polished" Pokemon games so far. No real glaring issues, it's great mechanically, it improves on both RSE and X/Y quite a bit. Overall great games. BW2 probably had the best plot of any Pokemon game so far, and the changes to the world after BW were a very welcome addition. (REALLY wish Ultra Sun & Moon took the same approach.) Let's Go has me very excited for Sword & Shield (though I wish its artstyle was a little closer to Let's Go's), and they were very well-made games if you ignore competitive battling (which they did REALLY screw up with, so it's hard to forgive, but still), and the candy aspect.

As for spin-offs... I generally like them for the most part, though I haven't played them all (especially home console spin-offs like the Pokepark games). Rumble's probably my favourite spin-off series, though Mystery Dungeon (with exceptions for a couple of entries) and Ranger are very good as well.

avensis

Aspiring Trainer
My top 5:
1- Platinum
2- Soul Silver
3- Black 2
4- Sapphire
5- Sun / Ultra Moon

Last edited by a moderator:

balance7845124

Aspiring Trainer
My favorite Pokemon game would be either Pokemon Black 2/White 2 or Pokemon Emerald. Both had buckets of content making both really fun. Both also had incredibly snappy battles. really quick, the HP scrolling was fast, the battle animations were quick and detailed and overall there was a quickness and fluidity to battles making them feel nice. My least favorite games are probably Pokemon Diamond/Pearl or Pokemon X and Y. Generation 4 started off pretty bad with the slow as molasses Sinnoh. Great region, poorly executed. The battles were slow, the surfing was slow, the running was slow. Everything was so slow in D/P that it felt like it dragged on for way too long. Cyrus and Team Galactic were a snore in D/P making fighting them seem boring. Thank God Platinum came to save the day. X and Y were just meh. The pacing of the Team Flare arc was about as steady as a rickety bridge. There was little to no buildup to Team Flare’s big reveal of resetting the planet outside the 7th gym. It was just an abrupt “Hey we’re gonna kill you all, bye” and that’s it. Team Flare’s only interesting characters were the scientists but they were used so sparsely that they ended up being forgettable like the rest of Team Flare. The only really good thing I can say about X and Y is that it had good music. Other than that, the colors were washed out, and the Pokedex was unnecessarily split into 3 parts which allowed for Sina and Dexio to stop you every time you reached a new area making the game (I download pokemon white 2 game online) feel more like a tour than an adventure. There was also your little pack of friends, none of which were required outside of maybe Shauna or Serena as both serve as decent but not stellar rival characters. The region was poorly paced and designed with no routes that went off the beaten path. The entire place was explored during your adventure leaving no room for substantial postgame content. Now you may think I’m a little hypocritical in liking Unova’s circular design but not Kalos’ but that’s different. Unova made room for postgame content in that not all towns were required to be seen on your first playthrough. More often than not, you’ll find areas you couldn’t explore during the main game in Unova. In Kalos, all you get is Kiloude city and the sub-par looker missions that fell flat. Compared to the Battle Frontier from the past games and BW2’s amazing PWT, the Battle Maison was a soulless shell of what was once amazing Postgame content. The chatelaines were forgettable and the method of getting to them wasn’t fun. The reason the battle frontier was so well received is because it had character. Each style of battling was creative. Even that facility on route 7 with the royalty system was more fun. X and Y was also where I felt the difficulty of catching legendaries drastically drop. I know D/P were the first offenders but I feel X and Y are the worst along with Sun and Moon. The fact that I can catch the big bad box legendary on my first quick ball is ridiculous. Speakng of difficulty, the Champion. Far too easy. I don’t understand how the champion was easy in a pokemon game. It baffles me to this day that I had more trouble with Siebold of the elite 4 than I did with Diantha. Overall, I don’t think any of the pokemon games are bad as I have great memories of each, but I feel each has its flaws, some more than others.

flameslash

Crawdaunt King
Ok, I'm only doing ones i've played
1. Platinum
2. SoulSilver
3. Black 2
4. Diamond
5. Emerald
6. Go (Tied)
6. Y (Tied)
7. Ruby
8. White
9. Omega Ruby
10. Ultra Moon
11. Battle Revolution
12. Rumble Blast
13. Shuffle
14. Moon
15. Whatever that E-shop AR game in Gen 5 was called.

McKendra9123

Trio Master: Dark, Poison & Fire Trainer
For me, all the mainstream games are my favorite. And a few other outside that too. For my top 5 favorite PoKémon games are as follows. (Starting from least to absolute fav.)

5. Black & White, I loved how it had a completely new PoKédex, I was sad by how there was no older PoKémon post Hall of Fame, and there wasn't as much to do.

4. X & Y, while I fell in love with Mega Evolution, the game only took 5 days to beat and a week to fully reach the end. So the lack of stuff to do is why it's so low on my list. Had they made a PoKémon Z like most people thought was gonna/likely to happen, I feel the games would be higher on the list

3. Red, Blue, Green & Yellow, gotta go old school on this. The game I started off with and spent a large part of 3 years of my childhood around.

2. Platinum, ORAS, HeartGold/SoulSilver & BW2. Because there was so much to do in these games even after the Hall of Fame. Not to mention all the very cool things that were apart of the game, both story & gameplay.

And for my top pick at Number 1 is another multiple choice. It's PoKémon Colossuem & XD: Gales of Darkness for the GameCube from Gen 3. I love the graphics, the storyline and the battle animation. Basically everything about those 2 games.

As a bonus, PoKémon Stadium 1 & 2 are also among my favorites too but couldn't really think of a place for them on the list. But if they were officially included among my top 5, then I would put them with the original Gen 1 games at Number 3.

HolofoilStarmie

Leading expert on something, I bet
Very difficult to separate some but for me it would be as follows (by generation and then fave game of that gen):

1: Gen 1 (Red)
2: Gen 2 (Gold)
3: Gen 3 (Emerald)
4: Gen 4 (Pearl)
5: Gen 5 (White)
6: Gen 7 (Sun)
7: Gen 6 (Y)

TLDR; Fave ever game = Red Version, Least fave = both Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. In general I love all the games, with probably a 1% decrease in enjoyment per gen. Except with 6 and 7 since Gen 6 is my least favourite. These are just my opinions obviously, I know Gen 1 is technologically inferior to all the others etc :p

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
I'm gonna separate mine into Main and Spin-offs cuz it'd be too hard to combine them lol

Main Series:
#1 - Gold/Silver/Crystal
#2 - HeartGold/SoulSilver
#3 - Sun/Moon/USUM
#4 - Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
#5 - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
#6 - Black/White/BW2
#7 - Red/Blue/Yellow
#8 - FireRed/LeafGreen
#9 - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
#10 - X/Y

Spin-offs:
#1 - Trading Card Game (GBA)
#2 - Stadium 2
#3 - Stadium
#4 - Snap
#5 - Channel
#6 - Coliseum
#7 - XD: Gale of Darkness
#8 - Trozei
#9 - Pinball
#10 - Puzzle Challenge

I actually never beat either Coliseum or XD so I can't properly judge those, but someday soon I hope to go back and play them ;_;

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
1. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
2. Black 2/White 2
3. Soul Silver/Heart Gold/Crystal/Silver/Gold
4. Ultra Moon/Ultra Sun/Moon/Sun
5. X/Y
6. White/Black
7. Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby/Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire
8. Let's Go Eevee/Let's Go Pikachu/Leaf Green/Fire Red/Yellow/Red/Blue
though i do like every game and don't hate any of them