Gigantamax Charizard, Pikachu, Meowth, Eevee Revealed!

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
UGHHHH WHY. I thought Gigantamax was really cool when it was only for Gen 8 Pokemon (like a reverse of Megas which were only previous gen Pokemon), but OF COURSE, there has to be MORE Gen 1 pandering :/ I actually do think Charizard looks pretty cool but the fact he got two Megas still makes me mad to this day and now he basically has a third? so ridiculous

The only justified one here is Butterfree, who now has a counterpart to Mega Beedrill

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I really like Butterfree, and I always wanted it to have a Mega as a counterpart to Beedrill so this is the next best thing.
Everything else I just find pretty meh. I'm really just over the 'everything in Gen 1 gets masses of attention and everything else can wait' thing that feels like it's been going on for a while now.

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
Quite a lot of interesting stuff here...

In terms of mechanics, Pikachu's signature attack is able to inflict paralysis on Mudsdale. Butterfree can also inflict sleep on the new Grass type (which are immune to "powder" moves). We already know that dyanmax moves have some interesting properties (like breaking through Protect / Detect), so perhaps they also bypass certain immunities?

It seems like Pikachu and Eevee which can gigantimax are unable to evolve. Perhaps these will also have higher base stats and a different movepool, similar to that Eternal Floette form?

These reveals have been a bit more boring than I expected TBH. The Pokemon retain their type, ability, and don't even look that different from their base forms (except Meowth). And of course the traditional fan favourites get the spotlight this time (although I don't think anyone saw Butterfree coming).

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
That really confirms that Venusaur and Blastoise are in the game. That don't make sense if one stands out and others were behind.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I
Quite a lot of interesting stuff here...

In terms of mechanics, Pikachu's signature attack is able to inflict paralysis on Mudsdale. Butterfree can also inflict sleep on the new Grass type (which are immune to "powder" moves). We already know that dyanmax moves have some interesting properties (like breaking through Protect / Detect), so perhaps they also bypass certain immunities?

It seems like Pikachu and Eevee which can gigantimax are unable to evolve. Perhaps these will also have higher base stats and a different movepool, similar to that Eternal Floette form?

These reveals have been a bit more boring than I expected TBH. The Pokemon retain their type, ability, and don't even look that different from their base forms (except Meowth). And of course the traditional fan favourites get the spotlight this time (although I don't think anyone saw Butterfree coming).
I hope G-Max Pikachu has a drawback. Instant paralysis is too much.
On G-Max Butterfree, we don't know if the Max Move is a Powder move. Heck even a Venusaur can fell asleep through Hypnosis.

Flash~ZT0

Aspiring Trainer
I mean of course they're going to have special forms to their mascots, idk why anyone would get salty over that. But also we dont even know the full list of pokemon that can yet. I'm not sure it legendaries will be able to, but the others I could easily see them being giga'd.
We never got a mega raichu.

Knight_of_Ni

Aspiring Trainer
So instead of making more new pokemon that resemble chandeliers, tea kettles, key chains, or some other inanimate household item, we are getting a bunch of fan favorite remade, except bigger...? Mega evolutions are cool, but gigantamax is just weird and unnecessary. Why not just make a mega butterfee/mega meowth (or persian)/mega pikachu (or raichu)/a third mega charizard/etc.?

Also, does anyone else get big chungus vibes from gigantamax pikachu?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Sue me, I like the Gigantamax Zard. Design-wise, at least. I still don’t like dynamax as a mechanic but I’m pretty sold on all of these designs. I’ve been clamoring for a fat pikachu after all these years and there’s something about long meowth that’s really funny to me. I wish we kept going with megas but again I really do enjoy some of these designs (eevee is whatever). It’ll at least be kinda cool TCG-wise.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Can we go 1 generation without Charizard being in the tcg please?
We shouldn't go a single generation without any pokemon being excluded in the TCG. Each generation to me at least is effectively a reset button on all the Pokemon and each time I hope more and more that everyone gets included-that includes all the popular ones people get up in arms about. I think there's a difference between inclusion and oversaturation. When you include one or two of a certain species in the generation, that's fine. But it's less fine the more and more they continue to be spammed into the game. I don't think Sun and Moon was awful with this, but I do hope the next generation includes everyone equally. There were steps in the right direction this time around.

...Am I the only one who thinks that giant molten flaming mountain charizard is cool, then? :(
Don't worry, I do too, lol. I was wondering what they'd do with the inevitable Gigantamax Zard, and it's a way better design than I had hoped for.

I can keep going. There are other pokemon than Pikachu and Charizard. We all know it- we're tired of them
I think we is a bit of a generalization here, don't you? I mean, it's totally fine that a lot of people don't like it and are tired of these pokemon, but with Pikachu I've just gotten used to it since the mascot is of course going to get things, and with Zard? I like Zards, so I don't mind it at all. There's a LOT of people out there who are probably happy by these. Of course, I have my complaints about Dynamaxing as a gimmick (megas were a better and more in-depth version of this) and I only really like these aesthetically, but still. Again, it's fine for the people who don't care or like this, but not everyone out there is going to share that sentiment.

Matthew the Fairy Lover

The Lover of everything Fairy
I mean of course they're going to have special forms to their mascots, idk why anyone would get salty over that. But also we dont even know the full list of pokemon that can yet. I'm not sure it legendaries will be able to, but the others I could easily see them being giga'd.

People would be getting salty because some, including me are sick of Gen 1 at this point. They always give love to Gen 1, which is getting repetitive and boring at this point. There's so many Pokemon for Gens 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and some of those Pokemon has gotten nothing since their debut like Dunsparce, Xatu, Lanturn, Solrock, Lunatone etc. etc.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Haha everyone be like "gen 1 pandering" when we dont even know the total number of gigantmax pokemon there are. There could be the same number for every gen calm.dowm