• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Plain and Simple Tyranitar

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
I've been wanting to try making a Tyranitar deck that's simple and fun. I had been working on this particular draft for a while and finally got around to testing it recently. It still needs tweaking, so I'm looking for some feedback on what I can fix.

Pokemon (15)
3 Larvitar- LOT 114
1 Larvitar- LOT 115
3 Tyranitar GX- LOT 121
2 Alolan Vulpix- LOT 53
2 Alolan Ninetales GX- LOT 132
1 Alolan Ninetales- TEU 111
1 Ditto Prism Star- LOT 154
1 Tapu Lele- UPR 94
1 Dedenne GX- UNB 57

Trainers (35)
4 Cynthia- UPR 119
3 Prof. Elm's Lecture- LOT 188
2 Lillie- UPR 125
1 Erika's Hospitality- TEU 140
2 Mina- LOT 183
2 Red's Challenge- UNB 184
4 Pokemon Communication- TEU 152
4 Rare Candy- CLS 142
2 Pokegear 3.0- UNB 182
2 Switch- CLS 147
1 Energy Recycle System- CLS 128
1 Lure Ball- CLS 138
2 Energy Switch- CLS 129
1 Reset Stamp- UNM 206
1 Stadium Nav- UNM 208
2 Viridian Forest- TEU 156
1 Black Market Prism Star- TEU 134

Energy (10)
6 Dark Energy
4 Fairy Energy

It's a 2-shot deck. The general plan is to set up Tyranitar with A-Ninetales' Mysterious Treasure ability, but I've had times where you can set him up other ways fairly smoothly. One of the concerns I have is for the beginning of the match. The times that I've tested this deck, it tended to draw only one or two basics at the start of the game. I'm not sure whether there's something I can do to improve that, other than hoping to have Prof. Elm in my opening hand. I tried having 4 Elms before, and while it helped at the start of the game, it made for a bad match later because they kept clogging my hand. So I've kept the Elm count to three.

I thought adding TEU- A.Ninetales might be a good idea for the deck when facing other GX decks. I don't see it fighting, but if I'm forced to fight with it (or another attacker), Mina and Energy Switch are there to help make that happen. Aside from Ninetales, I also thought to have Tapu Lele for the deck. Since Tyranitar's Dusty Ruckus does 30 damage to basic Pokemon, I thought Lele could take advantage of that with her Magical Swap attack if she needed to fight. I had tried using fairy-Mimikyu for it's Copycat attack before, but it never really worked out, so I thought switching it for Lele would be better.

And then Dedenne GX is there for draw power. I've been testing with it and it works fine, but I'm considering using UNB-Mewtwo as a cheaper alternative.

Before Unified Minds, it was hard to draw my stadium cards when I needed them. After the set I had put in 2 Stadium Navs and it got a lot better, but while playing with someone else they said that I didn't really need it. So I knocked it back to one. Then there's one copy of Reset Stamp for when the opponent has a leg up by the time I have Tyranitar set up. But I'm not really sure if having only one copy will have a lot of impact on the opponent. So I'm considering swapping it and maybe the Stadium Nav for something else.

And those are my thoughts are on this latest draft so far, and I'm stumped on how to make it better. Any suggestions you guys may have would be great.

Last edited:

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I say that if you want more basics, you should add more basics!
You only have 3 larvitar, 2 vulpix (I think you made a typo), and a ditto.
You can play up to 4!

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
I say that if you want more basics, you should add more basics!
You only have 3 larvitar, 2 vulpix (I think you made a typo), and a ditto.
You can play up to 4!

I do have 4 Larvitars. ;-)
And you're right, it's supposed to be TEU-Alolan Ninetales and Alolan Ninetales GX. My bad. XD

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
@AngryBokoblin Tweeaked the deck a bit, and I'm sort of losing confidence in Elm. I'm considering adding a Dunsparce since it'll help with my basics count and might also help bench Pokemon at the start of the game. What do you think?

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
@AngryBokoblin Tweeaked the deck a bit, and I'm sort of losing confidence in Elm. I'm considering adding a Dunsparce since it'll help with my basics count and might also help bench Pokemon at the start of the game. What do you think?
I guess dunsparce could help.
Start thinking about cosmic eclipse, too.
Oak is like elm so 4-4 should make the basics easy.
Then cherish balls to get evolutions..?

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
I think you should play a single prize attacker, like hoopa, or non gx tyranitar, for the memes lol. Actually, there might be a non gx tyranitar in another set, team up i think. If that one is good play that!

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
@SableyeGuy I did consider UNM-Hoopa before, but I wasn't sure about it because I didn't think there that many Pokemon with abilities being played to warrant it (sorry about the double post, I was on a work break).