Galarian Ponyta Revealed in Famitsu Magazine, Fairy-Type

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
Can't wait to see the Galarian Rapidash....wonder if it will gain some wings, since this version of Ponyta gains a horn?

Was going to get Pokemon Sword, but if this little one is in Shield....Hmmmm

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
Can't wait to see the Galarian Rapidash....wonder if it will gain some wings, since this version of Ponyta gains a horn?

Was going to get Pokemon Sword, but if this little one is in Shield....Hmmmm

inb4 Galarian Ponyta just evolves into normal Rapidash xD

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
It would appear that the text does not mention its typing and the label is too blurry to read (It's four characters long and the last symbol is ー, but that's true for both Fairy and Psychic).
That said, it's safe to say it is Fairy, can't imagine that it's not.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Fairy Veil (Pastel Veil, but it wasn't the official ability) is Meh. Just use Refresh, Heal Bell, or if your ally has a Natural Cure on it, just use Natural Cure.

TheRealBro..

Well look at it haha. It’s going to be fairy type thats for sure. I was actually hoping for a fairy fire type but I guess thats just wishful thinking.

I do however very much like that they keep the ‘new take on outdated gen 1 Pokemon’ going although pure fairy typing wouldnt give it much hope competitively.. ah and the design is pretty ok. Reminds me a bit too much about what they did with vulpix though.

AlphaTheKineticGuardian

Aspiring Trainer
Fairy Veil (Pastel Veil, but it wasn't the official ability) is Meh. Just use Refresh, Heal Bell, or if your ally has a Natural Cure on it, just use Natural Cure.
Perhaps, though Natural Cure forces you to switch out to activate while this is passive and Refresh etc. takes a turn to use (granted, they do remove other status such as paralysis and sleep to be fair).
In all honesty, I can see this ability being used on wall/stall strategies to protect teammates that are otherwise vulnerable to Toxic (take Chansey for example).

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I'm actually really liking Galarian Ponyta, although I do have to admit that I was certain it'd be Fairy that it kind of surprised me when it was confirmed Psychic, although I'm not unhappy about it. I guess there's always the possibility of it evolving into a Psychic/Fairy Galarian Rapidash.

TheRealBro..

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/pokemon-galar-region/ponyta/

Officially confirmed as psychic. Why? Did somebody at GF just misspelled "Fairy" and they've just rolled with it?

Really weird. Especially with that fairy’ish ability. Well competitively it doesn’t matter much. It will be ruined by steel types, also because its stats will again be mediocre.

Let’s hope then Rapidash is an interesting double type altough fire seems impossible now given that galarian Ponyta lost this type.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Not being Fire/Fairy is so disappointing. You guys had a fire horse who evolves into fire unicorn already, and unicorns are considered part of the fairy folklore, and we don't have a Fire/Fairy-type Pokemon in this series yet, but sure, make an alt form of said fire horse that is the most mundane type possible. Ugh.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Perhaps, though Natural Cure forces you to switch out to activate while this is passive and Refresh etc. takes a turn to use (granted, they do remove other status such as paralysis and sleep to be fair).
In all honesty, I can see this ability being used on wall/stall strategies to protect teammates that are otherwise vulnerable to Toxic (take Chansey for example).
Nah. Burn and Paralysis exists. Some people still carry Will O' Wisp to cripple physical atkrs and Thunder Wave to cripple fast Pokemon. Pastel Veil should shrug off all Status Conditions not just Poison. All we need is a Good HA.
I'm actually really liking Galarian Ponyta, although I do have to admit that I was certain it'd be Fairy that it kind of surprised me when it was confirmed Psychic, although I'm not unhappy about it. I guess there's always the possibility of it evolving into a Psychic/Fairy Galarian Rapidash.
Do we need another Saanaito? Do we need another Tapu Lele?

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
Or psychic/flying if there's wings on rapidash.