Discussion Dealing with Bright Tone

Mega Mewthree...

A new threat has appeared.
Hi everyone.
I was wondering how everyone deals with Altaria GX's Bright Tone attack(provided you are playing a primarily GX based deck). Do you play any non-GXs specifically to counter it or do you have an attack that just powers through?
Thanks in advance.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
For me, Keldeo GX has a Swift effect on its regular attack. You can also force a switch, such as with Escape Rope.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I currently play 3 decks all with GX Poké as the main attackers. However, each deck has non-GX/EX attackers that can easily 2HKO an Altaria GX. An alternative (which might be more applicable to your situation) would be the timely use of Custom Catcher (or Ninetales' Ability) to gust an opponent's benched Altaria GX to the active position and KO it before my opponent can use the Bright Tone attack.

In no case though, would I specifically utilize counters specifically for that match-up.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Thanks for the answer Tuxedo Black. Do you have anything that counters, MewMew GX using Bright Tone?
I use Power Plant in my deck and since this Stadium can "slow down" a Mewtwo-Mew GX deck, it can be effective, especially if my opponent can't replace the Stadium. I like running 2 Power Plant and a Lusamine (for discarded Stadium and/or Supporter recovery) in my tournament deck.

In my experience, it is not unlikely that my Mewtwo-Mew GX opponent will build a large hand (like other players using a Welder "engine"). So, I also am a firm believer in running 1-2 Judge and 3-4 Judge Whistle in my tournament deck. Playing a Judge at critical times can be quite effective in disrupting my opponent's hand/tactics.

By the way, Altaria GX's Bright Tone attack prevents damage done to it by opponent's Mewtwo-Mew GX. So, have you tried "tanking" your Altaria GX with healing (possibly use Green's Exploration)?

Those are a few initial thoughts. I hope you find them helpful.

Last edited:

Mega Mewthree...

Thanks again.
The problem is that I actually have a few spots open in my Mewtwo deck and I am trying to decide what to include. I wanted to see if Altaria would be affective or if everyone has an easy counter to it. Also, I agree with your judge idea.

Skater_J

Aspiring Trainer
I've always try to keep one spot open in my Mew3 deck for Greninja-GX (Detective Pikachu) for the "Mist Slash" attack that can hit through anything with only 2 energy, even a Gardeon with charms. You could also use Reshizard's GX attack to hit through anything with 300 damage, but you need 6 energy.

Not a lot of Mew3 players run Greninja-GX because of the water energy requirement but Tord just went 9-0 with his deck that had Greninja-GX in it so it might become more popular.

Mega Mewthree...

That is a great suggestion Skater_J. I am currently running the Greninja with Haze Slash but this one seems much better. Do you know if it hits through Keldeo GX'x ability?