• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Whimsicott GX

James Bennett

Aspiring Trainer
So, first time posting here - apologies if this isn't the right place for this.

Before rotation I had a lot of fun playing a whimsicott GX deck. I used Zoro as the engine behind it. Worked nicely.

I haven't developed a new deck since rotation, but now is the time! Is there a good whimsi deck out there? I have seen (and tried) the Porygon version, but I struggled with it. I was thinking maybe a welder engine would work?

Alternatively ... Caturday! I loved caturday and in a similar position, haven't played it since rotion - can it still work? Losing gusting will hurt it, but may also protect it? (harder for them to take out my persians). Be good to hear thoughts on that one, too!

Hi yes, I've been having a lot of fun with Whimsiwelder since rotation. Toy Box GX attack has gotten so good early game now.

However, you need to be aware of the deck's big pitfalls - these being the somewhat popular "Power Plant" stadium, and the growing popularity of special condition/counter placement decks (since it's a lot harder to switch since rotation). Let me find my list;

13 Pokémon
3 Cottonee UNM 143
1 Whimsicott (Prowl)
2 Whimsicott-GX

2 Salandit DRM 13 (60hp version! for Elm!)
2 Salazzle (Roast Reveal)

1 Ditto <*>

1 Tapu Lele (Charmed Charm)
1 Magearna (Change Clothes)

15 Supporter Cards
3 Professor Elm's Lecture (start with this, discard with Viridian Forest later/combine with Communication if you gotta)
3 Cynthia
3 Welder
2 Tate & Liza (Switch option is essential)
1 Diantha (Good for everything!! Keep in hand as game winning supporter if necessary)
1 Pokémon Center Lady (Conditions are a thing now)
2 Pokégear 3.0

20 Other Trainer Cards
2 Cherish Ball
4 Pokémon Communication
1 Switch
2 Fire Crystal
4 Custom Catcher
1 Rainbow Brush (With these counts, [Y] energy can be hard to find)

1 Fairy Charm [P]
1 Fairy Charm [L]
1 Fairy Charm Ability

2 Viridian Forest
1 Wondrous Labyrinth <*>

12 Energy
3 [Y] Energy
6 [R] Energy
3 Triple Acceleration Energy

Card #61 - Shrine of Punishment
Card #62 - Bill
Card #63 - Whims-GX #3

Last edited:
Hi yes, I've been having a lot of fun with Whimsiwelder since rotation. Toy Box GX attack has gotten so good early game now.

However, you need to be aware of the deck's big pitfalls - these being the somewhat popular "Power Plant" stadium, and the growing popularity of special condition/counter placement decks (since it's a lot harder to switch since rotation). Let me find my list;

13 Pokémon
3 Cottonee UNM 143
1 Whimsicott (Prowl)
2 Whimsicott-GX

1 Ditto <*>

15 Supporter Cards
3 Professor Elm's Lecture (start with this, discard with Viridian Forest later/combine with Communication if you gotta)
3 Cynthia
3 Welder
1 Diantha (Good for everything!! Keep in hand as game winning supporter if necessary)
2 Pokégear 3.0

20 Other Trainer Cards
2 Cherish Ball
4 Pokémon Communication
1 Switch
2 Fire Crystal
4 Custom Catcher

1 Fairy Charm [P]
1 Fairy Charm [L]
1 Fairy Charm Ability

2 Viridian Forest
1 Wondrous Labyrinth <*>

12 Energy
3 [Y] Energy
6 [R] Energy

Card #62 - Bill
Card #63 - Whims-GX #3
Would you change anything going into cosmic eclipse?

13 Pokémon
3 Cottonee UNM 143
1 Whimsicott (Prowl)
2 Whimsicott-GX

1 Ditto <*>

15 Supporter Cards
3 Cynthia
3 Welder
2 Pokégear 3.0

20 Other Trainer Cards
2 Cherish Ball
4 Pokémon Communication
1 Switch
2 Fire Crystal
4 Custom Catcher

1 Fairy Charm [P]
1 Fairy Charm [L]
1 Fairy Charm Ability

2 Viridian Forest
1 Wondrous Labyrinth <*>

12 Energy
3 [Y] Energy
6 [R] Energy

Card #62 - Bill
Card #63 - Whims-GX #3

Does custom catcher work better than Ninetales TEU?

Does custom catcher work better than Ninetales TEU?

I don't know really. But it's worth experimenting with. I will say for the current list, Toy Box is rarely judged so you can grab a pair early if you think you need them. The draw power leads to massive hands so you'll find a pair eventually. And Diantha is always good for a late retrieval of two back from the discard.

If you do, you'll have to also add more Fire Crystal maybe.

Back