Discussion Do you play against yourself?

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
Hello, I’ve always been one for playing with another player and see how the other players mind works, but curious, because I do this all the time, if you’re a good player is it worth to play just with two decks by yourself for practice?

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
I don’t do it because it basically lets you see what’s in your opponent’s hand, and that would decide certain plays. When I have nobody to test with and want to test, I just play the deck online.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I do it for proxy testing for the next set. My games don't last past turn 4 though because I just want to get an idea of the consistency/speed of a deck before I go into future testing. If I like it past turn 3 then I'll test at my league against more meta stuff :) perfect example red&blue+weavilr GX+silvally gx

If the cards are already released I'll go into ptcgo.

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
I do the same, only play up to 4 turns or so, sometimes I decide to play 3 prizes each deck to get the speed tested, plus consistency!

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I don't have PTCGO, nor am I able to make it to tournaents often--I'm also super impatient when it comes to waiting for online play simulators to get updated. So all of my testing has been proxy deck testing for the last 3 years.

If you are able to play both opponents and be as unbiased as possible, you can learn a lot through testing, both in how your deck works and how opposing deck X would/should/could react to things.

Thing is, the unbiased part is the hardest, but most important part of it all.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
In Magic, playing against "no-one" (just testing how your deck sets up) is called "Goldfishing" - because you're playing against something that does absolutely nothing and just passes turns.

Perhaps PTCG equivalent should be called "Magikarping".

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
For "early" card and/or deck testing, I like using online TCG websites to initially work out deck "kinks". For "serious" testing, I find playing against other players (especially good, trusted Poké-pals) to be more rewarding, because:
  • My opponent thinks differently than I do; so, he/she will not make the same mistakes (most likely) I do;
  • My opponent's play-style, deck construction, strategy, etc. are different than mine; so, that will be more representative of the real tournament environment; and
  • I can discuss game tactics, card thoughts, suggestions, etc. real-time with my opponent.
In either case, I prefer playing against another person.

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
Sometimes yes. I find interesting to test the consistency of T1 of my decks, although using only one deck as I’m not going to pass further T1 end of turn. Sometimes I test with 2 decks a full match, just to know how to respond when I have a great hand which get disrupted by something like N or Marshadow, but generally I prefer just to use PTCGO for this.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
For "early" card and/or deck testing, I like using online TCG websites to initially work out deck "kinks". For "serious" testing, I find playing against other players (especially good, trusted Poké-pals) to be more rewarding, because:
  • My opponent thinks differently than I do; so, he/she will not make the same mistakes (most likely) I do;
  • My opponent's play-style, deck construction, strategy, etc. are different than mine; so, that will be more representative of the real tournament environment; and
  • I can discuss game tactics, card thoughts, suggestions, etc. real-time with my opponent.
In either case, I prefer playing against another person.
Imagine having friends lol...