• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Psychic Malamar

Missilistico

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon (19)
1 Espeon & Deoxys-GX (UNM 72)
1 Mimikyu (SMP 99)
1 Tapu Fini (UNM 53)
2 Giratina (LOT 97)
4 Malamar (FLI 51)
3 Jirachi (TEU 99)
1 Ditto Prism Star (LOT 154)
1 Mew (UNB 76)
4 Inkay (FLI 50)

Supporter (7)
3 Lillie (UPR 125)
2 Bill's Analysis (TEU 133)
1 Hapu (UNM 200)
2 Cynthia (UPR 119)

Item (26)
3 Acro Bike (CLS 123)
4 Pokémon Communication (TEU 152)
2 Custom Catcher (LOT 171)
2 Power Plant (UNB 183)
4 Mysterious Treasure (FLI 113)
3 Viridian Forest (TEU 156)
3 Switch (CLS 147)
2 Escape Board (UPR 122)
3 Spell Tag (LOT 190)

Energy (8)
1 Recycle Energy (UNM 212)
7 Psychic Energy (TEU 201)

Hi everybody! I decided I should start playing at least one not-completely-unviable deck, and I chose Malamar, the non Gx variant. It is quite simple to play, and I like the Giratina loop, when I can get it. And this is the point: Malamar sucks when the loop struggles to be started. I tried to tweak the blank list a little bit.
Particularly, I think the supporters are a bit strange. Anyway, they are easily explained: Bill allows me to grasp Communication and Mysterious Treasure, which speed up the set up. Hapu is there for similiar purpose, but I use it when the majority of my Inkay and Malamar are safe in my bench or hand.
I play a couple of Custom Catcher mainly for the mirror match, since it allows me to snipe Malamar or Ultra Necrozma Gx previously weakened by Distortion Door and Spell Tags.
What do you think about it? :)

Honestly, this is a good example of someone that takes mally and puts their own spin on it without making it super inconsistent.
I really like this and I think that the deck is good. Now you just need to play it correctly.
I know that mally can be frustrating to pilot sometimes but the main thing is to stick with it and keep learning.
After playing over 100 games of mally, I know how to be wise about when to go for broke and when to bite the bullet and take what the deck gives you.
Just the real small plays, like grabbing an energy OFF the acro bike instead of instinctively discarding it, so you have the energy attachment.
Or not playing the forest in the mirror when your opponent doesn't get a psychic in the discard turn 1.
These types of plays are not immediately obvious to newcomers which is why I think mally is not a very good deck right now.
With mally, YOU have to play a perfect game of pokemon.
YOU have to make every minor decision correctly.
YOU have to sink more time into mally, practicing and practicing, than other decks like pikarom or reshizard (not saying that they take no practice at all).
So, I'm excited to have another player playing mally and I wish you the best of luck.
If you need a testing partner, I'm open to help you out!
Just know that mally will take some work.

Thank you! I appreciate your words and offer really much! I play on TCGOne only, and my name is Missilistico: if you like to test with me, you're welcome! :)
You're right when you're saying that the small plays count: for example, in order to achieve the big koes against the gx, every damage due to Spell Tags and Distortion Doors is important.
However, I'd like to boost the consistency a little bit more, and the control match up! For the latter, I tried Girafarig but it was very often a dead draw. How would advice me?

Hi Missilistico,

Nice deck. Malamar is still viable but it is not the most forgiving deck to pilot. Here are some modifications that I would take into consideration:

Pokémon:
- Tapu Fini (not worth the effort since Blacephalon is one out of ten decks to worry about)
- 1 Ditto Prism Star (with Recycle Energy two bench Malamar are often sufficient)

+ 1 Giratina (The third one may seem unneeded but it reduces the effort to search for it)

This should leave you with a stable count of 17 Pokémon consisting of 4 evolution cards and 13 Basic Pokémon to utilize Pokémon Communication.

Trainer:

- 1 Hapu (you still need a stable draw supporter line)
- 1 Switch (two should be sufficient)
- 1 Power Plant (nice versus Mewtwo and Mew but you can handle it with one copy too)

+ 1 Lillie (you need eight pure draw supporter in Malamar to set up more consistently)
+ 1 Cynthia (see above)
+ 1 Spell Tag (this is your bread and butter in this deck and it should be maxed out)

Hope this provides some initial assistance. Once the new set is released in the United States cards to consider will be 2-3 Rosa and a tech Lana's Fishing Rod to recycle Spell Tag mainly. I also love Oricorio GX with Island Challenge Amulet since it enables some awesome onboard trick games and it also enhances the consistency of the deck.

Many thanks! I'm quite skeptical about the -Ditto +Giratina, but I'll try it for sure!
Most of the time you will get away with two Malamar on the bench due to Recycle Energy and the third Giratina increases the odds to draw into it naturally which allows you to focus Mysterious Treasure and Pokémon Communication on getting the Malamar pieces out fast. You might also want to attempt to fit in a second Recycle Energy for consistency reasons.

Hi Missilistico,

Nice deck. Malamar is still viable but it is not the most forgiving deck to pilot. Here are some modifications that I would take into consideration:

Pokémon:
- Tapu Fini (not worth the effort since Blacephalon is one out of ten decks to worry about)
- 1 Ditto Prism Star (with Recycle Energy two bench Malamar are often sufficient)

+ 1 Giratina (The third one may seem unneeded but it reduces the effort to search for it)

This should leave you with a stable count of 17 Pokémon consisting of 4 evolution cards and 13 Basic Pokémon to utilize Pokémon Communication.

Trainer:

- 1 Hapu (you still need a stable draw supporter line)
- 1 Switch (two should be sufficient)
- 1 Power Plant (nice versus Mewtwo and Mew but you can handle it with one copy too)

+ 1 Lillie (you need eight pure draw supporter in Malamar to set up more consistently)
+ 1 Cynthia (see above)
+ 1 Spell Tag (this is your bread and butter in this deck and it should be maxed out)

Hope this provides some initial assistance. Once the new set is released in the United States cards to consider will be 2-3 Rosa and a tech Lana's Fishing Rod to recycle Spell Tag mainly. I also love Oricorio GX with Island Challenge Amulet since it enables some awesome onboard trick games and it also enhances the consistency of the deck.
What is the 2nd card?
cut fini and ditto for... 1 tina?

Thank you! I appreciate your words and offer really much! I play on TCGOne only, and my name is Missilistico: if you like to test with me, you're welcome! :)
You're right when you're saying that the small plays count: for example, in order to achieve the big koes against the gx, every damage due to Spell Tags and Distortion Doors is important.
However, I'd like to boost the consistency a little bit more, and the control match up! For the latter, I tried Girafarig but it was very often a dead draw. How would advice me?
In the control matchup, you can use mimikyu to copy resource management while you set up the espeoxys.

I honestly think the ditto is better than both of those options.
He plays Bill's, too!
He will get supporters stuck in hand!

Even with the additional supporter he will have no more than nine supporters in total in this deck. I personally like to run ten to eleven supporters in total to ensure a more stable turn one on draw engine. I never had issues with too many supporters in hand with that count. I also believe that with Guzma being rotated out benched Inkay will be a lot safer turn one to two and you do not need more than two benched Malamar in this deck due to Recycle Energy.

I made some changes here. The deck runs smoother, I'd say!

- Fini
+ Tina

- Hapu
- Power Plant
+ Lillie
+ Cynthia

What do you guys think about these? I know they are minor changes, but I note the difference a lot!

Back